The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 12:27:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bolt out of the blue: Touch Lamps?  (Read 3777 times)
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: March 05, 2007, 04:33:47 pm »

I got a touch lamp a few years ago as a gift, and I absolutely adore it. So much that I went out and got another as a reading lamp.

The convenience of just touching your lamp and it instantly turning on/off... not to mention it looks all bad-ass...  Do you think it fits within the steampunk mythos? Aesthetics aside, would a touch-lamp set-up work with brass, etc? I'm almost certain that at the very least it will work with steel.

I'm asking here in case anyone went ahead and made their own touchlamps. 

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:57:59 pm »

It should work with any conductive metal.  I've thought about using that touch-plate technology in a Steamy project several times, but have yet to do so.  I have seen a simple-to-install kit somewhere that'll turn an ordinary lamp into this type, but I can't think of where at the moment.  I'll do some research in a bit...

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:01:04 pm »

I seem to recall a single 8 pin IC, a TRIAC and a few additional bits are all, which are inside those touch control things. So they could be applied to many type of controls. Should be fairly easy to build one for low voltage controls as well.

C.S.

July 19th, 02009: Lab project delayed. Local home 'improvement' stores have apparently stopped carrying any kind of quality DIY materials... Huh
July 15th, 02009: Much progress was made today on clearing out my future laboratory, yet there is a ways to go still.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:32:40 pm »

I could see some really interesting projects coming out of this...

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:35:53 pm »

JEEZ!

Talk about serendipity!

Just as I left for class, I noticed this in the instructables queue: 

http://www.instructables.com/id/EVNTLJ19O0EYVZC5YN/

Apparently there are touch lamp kits out now! Sweet!
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:39:02 pm »

Yeah, that's it!  Screw it in and go  Grin
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 01:09:18 am »

Would this work okay with the old-style light bulbs? Otherwise, should one stay with the newer styles of bulbs?
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 01:20:35 am »

I can't imagine there would be any problem.  I should think that as far as the bulb's concerned, it's nothing more than a switch...
TheHollowMen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:29:27 pm »

It should work with a new bulb.

We've got cheep ones here in NZ and I'm thinking of putting a cage bulb in it and getting rid of the flower - glass and putting a wire cage around it... once my desk / computer project is complete.
Moogle
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 03:32:58 am »

I'm dubious, I have motion sensor switches that don't play nice with fluorescents because they double the hz (iirc).  Easier to switch for the electronics I think.  The screw in touch bulb may have similar problems.  Incandescents are fine though.

Actually, my parents had a screw in touch kit with a dimmer and basically abandoned it because it was too touchy, pardon the pun.  It would randomly turn on and off, change lighting levels, especially when a large appliance like the fridge would switch on.  Maybe it has a sensitivity adjustment, they never found one that I know of.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 03:42:46 am »

Wait, are we talking about normal incandescent vs. florescent, or normal incandescent vs. old Edison bulb?  I thought it was the latter--in which case it shouldn't make any difference.  The difference between old and new incandescents is a lot less than between incandescent and florescent...
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 03:58:58 pm »

Well, my question did originally intend to inquire about incandescents, but with the prevalence of fluorescents today, that'd be a good thing to know.

The twisted spiral shape of the CFL bulbs is just wicked awesome, though. 
BlueFly
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 04:48:44 pm »

Along the same vein, both of these circuits are fairly simple, and would lend themselves well to a low voltage project (ie. a handheld device)

http://www.discovercircuits.com/PDF-FILES/5vmom1.pdf
http://www.discovercircuits.com/PDF-FILES/dooralm2.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: