The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 24, 2018, 05:14:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Workshop, Nautilus Submarine Style  (Read 48067 times)
Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« on: February 23, 2012, 06:42:10 am »

Hello fellow Steampunkers.  My name is Jim and I live in Phoenix, Arizona.

I’m building a new workshop.  So I thought, why not build it with a unique décor.  I have chosen an industrial / Nautilus Submarine / Steampunk theme.  I’m not exactly sure what it will end up looking like.  The design is mostly in my mind.  The only way to find out what it will look like, is for me to start building it.

I will be posting progress pictures throughout the building process.  This should be fun.  (Of course the drawback to this is you’ll get to see all of my mistakes and my lack of carpentry skills.)  Oh well.

Enjoy the ride; I intend to.

Here are some pictures of what others have done.  These pictures help inspire me.

If at first your idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
-Albert Einstein-

See pictures of my models at:  http://public.fotki.com/shrimpee/
Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:22 am »

Here is the space I have to work with.
It is rather small.

Here is how I intend to use the space.

Here are pictures of the space.

I had my daughter's boyfriend paint the floor like the Yellow brick Road form the Wizzard of OZ.  Of course I'll be repainting the floor.

Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:01:20 am »

The door is the first thing that will be seen, so it has to look good.
Here I'm playing with some design ideas.

Tower
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:08:50 am »

Looks like a good start. Since you only have a small space a ship theme isn't a bad idea since their have been many interesting storage solutions designed for the cramped interior of a ship.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:03 pm »

the floor is kinda cool..... doesn't fit the new design idea but it
still seems a bit a a shame to paint over it...

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:11:48 pm »

I kinda like the floor!

I'm a little confused by your drawings, it looks like you're adding a partition wall of some kind from part way down the glass door to the corridor.

I'm not sure what software you've used to put those images together, but I'd strongly suggest grabbing either a free CAD package, or a trial version of a a more expensive package. When it comes to doing work in the house you'll always find the devil in the details, but good planning will root him out that bit earlier - For instance what is that wall going be made of and how thick will it be? (a normal stud wall is just over 5", how's that going to fit against the glass door). What's the item located next to the glass door beside the work bench? It's going to be against the only source of natural light in the room, will it have a major impact on light quality or levels? Octagonal doorways, particularly if raised off the floor slightly, are very cool, but is the extra trip hazard worth it, particularly on the doorway into a workshop?

I'd also be a little bit wary of having a door opening out into the corridors - It's safer to have it opening into the room, as it's shown it will always block or partially block one or more routes through the rooms, if it opens into the room then when open it won't block traffic anywhere.

That aside!

I love seeing people give their spaces a real personal touch, I wish I was in the situation where I could move away from the 'Budget Rustic' that I live in to something far more interesting!

I'd suggest taking a look at sources other than submarines as well for inspiration - For workshops (especially submersible ones) I've always been a fan of the aircraft galley as inspiration!

An A380s galley - Everything needs a proper space to live so it doesn't collect on some unfortunate person during turbulence.
I can't find any good images, but Firefly/Serenity used that kind of stowage system in parts of its kitchen.
Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:50:21 pm »

Thank you Inflatable Friend for your thoughtful input.  The wall and door I'm building is simply to keep pets and grandchildren out of my shop area.  The door will be a locking door. 

Basically I'm dividing a larger room in half.  The sliding glass door exits into the patio.  The small computer desk that will be in front of the sliding glass door will only cover the lower half of the window (door). 

The wall will be built with 2X4's, but will be only 2 inches thick.  I'm rotating the 2X4's 90 degrees and using drywall for the wall.  And thank you for the trip hazard comment.  You have helped me decide to put some 45 degree angles on the door at the top only.

I'll be doing most of the problem solving as I build.  Not the best way to do things, but it's the fun part for me.

Thanks for your input.

WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:42:33 pm »

Yellow brick road floor looks a lot like a squid tentacle, dontcha think?

Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:21:24 am »

Yellow brick road floor looks a lot like a squid tentacle, dontcha think?

Mr. Rockwell makes an excellent observation! You can definitely work with the floor you have and not totally destroy it (I also agree that it would be a shame to loose all of that design)!

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:37:36 am »

I decided to start with the door first.  Here's my 32 inch, pre-hung, hollow door.  I'm using a hollow door so it will be lighter.  I'm adding lots of stuff to the door.

I needed a port hole for the door.  So I brought a $1 clock at the thrift store.  And I added some brass acorn nuts.

Tower
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:02 am »

You may want to consider using a sliding pocket door instead of a swing type to save space.
Maj Heiner Cybersnell
Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:50 am »

excited to see how this turns out

Major Heinrich "Heiner" Cybersnell
Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:53 am »

Tenticle?  Yeah, I hope to include a tenticle to my room.....  LOL

Yes, the yellow brick road floor is great, but I think I can make a better one to match the submarine.

Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 04:43:27 am »

You may want to consider using a sliding pocket door instead of a swing type to save space.

Good idea, but when you see my door, you'll see why I cant use a pocket door.

Thanks for the idea.

Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 04:48:56 am »

Let us have a monemt of silence for the bike that gave it's life for my project.

And here is my design layout.  I used masking tape to try out my design.  The real door will have wood trim.  I simulated the rivets with an ink marker.

VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 05:02:51 am »

Looks like the door is coming together fairly nice.

Perhaps the floor could be painted to look like you have a reinforced glass bottom sub (to see the sea floor with) and the tentacle would therefore not be too out of place.

psn1der
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 05:24:40 am »

Yes, I think we all REALLY like the yellow brick road.   Grin  Are you going to paint the floor yourself or get the talented daughters' boyfriend to work up another design for you?
Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 06:25:12 am »

Yes, I think we all REALLY like the yellow brick road.   Grin  Are you going to paint the floor yourself or get the talented daughters' boyfriend to work up another design for you?

Yes I love the floor.  The artist boyfriend started the floor and and I finished it.  But I need to repaint the floor in the submarine room to be more like what you'd find in a 1800's submarine.  I'm thinking about wood slats. !?!?! 

The floor will be the very last thing that is done.  So when the whole room is finished I'm sure an idea for the floor will come to me.  And I appreciate input from you guys.

Terezi
Swab

Madame Terezi, importer of luxury goods

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 06:41:33 am »

Aww...I like that floor too! And it looks like a tentacle to me too.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 01:01:34 pm »

You HAVE to do ( paint )  a glass view port in the floor...... that was a great idea.
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 01:05:18 pm »

The look of riveted steel plates isn't too hard to do for a floor with a wee bit of airbrushing and using  a cardboard mask for the rivet heads. A nice clear poly finish over top to protect the delicate shades of rust and corrosion and you are good to go.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 01:25:58 pm »

You might wish to look into fanfold foam to create the elaborate shapes on the ceiling. It comes in a book of 2' X 4' sheets, which will bend and hold a new shape when heated. You can build up 3 dimensional shapes or a curved tube shape, which then can be added onto. When covered with a primer coat, the foam will take a finish that looks exactly like rusted iron, I made my Nautilus model from 1/4" BlueCore foam. While the result will be fragile, it is on the ceiling and should hold up well.

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »

Great project. I love the beams from this picture:

You can use sewer pipes and joints to create fake pipelines. I remember a thread here on Brassgoggles.

#Edited#
Here it is: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30862.0.html
Nautilus inspired bathroom.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:04:50 pm by bicyclebuilder » Logged

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 04:36:39 pm »

Great project. I love the beams from this picture:

You can use sewer pipes and joints to create fake pipelines. I remember a thread here on Brassgoggles.

#Edited#
Here it is: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30862.0.html
Nautilus inspired bathroom.

That's exactly the kind of shape you could create from fanfold foam, just cut out the four sides and hot glue them together, it would be easy
Hanna Engelhart
Deck Hand
Italy Italy

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 08:36:15 pm »

Simply Awesome,Sir! *__*

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: