The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:45:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have a pattern for a leather aviators helmet?  (Read 14276 times)
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« on: February 22, 2012, 09:15:37 am »

Been searching online and here but come up empty, so can anyone point me in the right direction for a pattern to make a leather aviators helmet? One has to start somewhere, and it may as well be with the head! I have enough basic items I can repurpose into a costume for my sp persona but I really need to work on the details to make it work

Kindest regards, Raven

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:21 am »

Issue #3 of Steampunk Magazine has a pattern which might serve.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Entropy
Gunner
Romania Romania

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:40 am »

I dont know what link is that but... my antivirus popup this and block that page
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

probably a script or something
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:34:04 pm »

Is this any help?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Steampunk-Flying-Helmet-with-goggles-and-headphone/

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:02:16 pm »

A pattern for a medieval arming cap is easily modified into an aviators hat. I'll try to locate the free one I saw online. The link is in my other (dead) computer.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:40:05 pm »

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/armingcap_santob/

http://www.virtue.to/articles/coif.html

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:10 pm »

Excellent, thank you all Smiley Will have a go as soon as we're moved and the unpacking commences...
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »

That's der bunny!! Thanks Prof. Now that is saved to the new computer.
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:30 am »

http://www.instructables.com/id/Steampunk-Leather-Skypirate-Helmet-wizard-skullca/
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 07:42:22 am »

Still not made one but thought I'd post this - 2 links to a pattern based on  US Patent # 4035845, which was a 'snoopy' style proposed leather helmet design. The darts in the cheek areas are for installing headphone hardware, so it can be omitted if not needed. Thinking I might just have to try this Smiley

sunny251
Deck Hand

Even if it doesn't work - it still looks cool

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:28:44 pm »

I cheated a little, I used a hood from an old sweatshirt, cut it off and added flappy things. It actually looked kind of cool.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 07:10:06 am »

I once made a leather aviator's helmet for a GI Joe doll. I had to make my own pattern.

The toy had sculpted, painted hair, so I coated the head with latex, and after it dried, I used a sharpie marker and photo reference to draw the edges and seams of the helmet onto the rubber. Then I pealed the rubber off the doll's head, cut out the pieces, and used the rubber pieces to make a pattern.

I cut the pieces an out-of-production leather sample from an office furniture supplier (get your leather from wherever you can get it). I stitched the pieces together, then, here's the trick. I soaked the little aviator's helmet in water, then stretched it over on the doll's head for a perfect fit. After the leather is dried, it can be removed from the doll's head and will retain its shape.

If you can get ahold of a dummy of mannequin head, there's no reason why the above procedure can't be scaled up.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 11:47:48 am »

I just love these:

http://lastwear.deviantart.com/gallery/27600737#/d19l4h8

Derby Weazel
Swab

I regret that I have but one life to use my talent

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 04:56:09 am »

I hope the help is not being given too late but I found a tutorial JPEG that makes a decent aviators cap in a pinch.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs27/f/2008/119/2/d/Aviator_Cap_Tutorial_by_Cristophine.jpg
*I take no credit for this tutorial. all credit should be deferred to the artist*

"Every comment made by this man means one more weasel freed from the hard servitude of a life in the dreaded Cheese-Whiz mines of Wisconsin."
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 01:55:09 am »

I just made five as Christmas gifts.  The pattern is a six-part skullcap (the lining is four-part, with a little pocket in the back quadrant) with a piece shaped like a wide rectangle with an arc scooped out of the bottom of it for the back/cheek pieces and a little curved fold-up visor in front.  There are snap-on flaps covering ear holes, long thin buckle straps from the front temples of the skullcap to adjust the fit at the back, held in place by two small sets of belt loops at the back and sides, and a wider chin strap and buckle.  The back/cheek piece is lined with soft glove leather.

I was originally going to sew shaped brass doodads all over them, but decided those were too potentially snaggy and instead painted heraldic designs, symbols and emblems all over them in metallic paint.

The recipients seem to have liked them.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
VonDan
Deck Hand

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 08:05:55 am »

I have a real leather WW2 flight helmet to study and then a friend brought in what is basically a simple arming cap or padded coif for under his motor cycle helmet in the winter. I copied the padded cloth cap in leather for under his chain mail

this was the first try

I made a few more and finished off the edges and added ear flaps and when worn with goggles thy are almost right

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: