The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 01:33:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goggles for spectacle wearers?  (Read 1139 times)
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« on: February 18, 2012, 12:37:04 pm »

Hi all. Back in England I tried to make a pair of goggles using lenses from an old pair of glasses in my prescription. Although they worked I was never happy with the construction and thus they languished, waiting for some more leather. I still have them in fact, but the build quality truly is terrible and they need upgrading. So, does anyone have any tips on fixing pre-made lenses in place in a leather body?

For reference, this is the pair I made (it was the last few scraps of veg-tan I had... Undecided )

Image0285.jpg by r.wolf1970, on Flickr

Need to find a decent leather supply here in Brisbane too!

Kindest regards, Raven

robotmastern
Snr. Officer
United States United States

automaton craftsman extraordinaire

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:28 am »

hmm ive been wanting to put lenses in my brass goggles for a while now... but ive not been to the eye doctor in a while...
the only thing i dont like about my goggles is the nose bridge is too long any idea how to fix that?
they are of this type the leather for the nose peice is riveted to the brass bodies

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:37:27 am »

I'd remove the rivet and use a new piece of leather for the noise bridge. Not too difficult if you have a rivet setter :-)
robotmastern
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:40:09 am »

do you just drill it out like a pop rivet?  sorry i havent worked with leather too much and my aunt makes leather masks but she dosent use rivets
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:28:17 am »

It depends on the rivet - I've got them off with a pair of pliers or decent wire cutters before. They are usually the 2-part rivets from Tandys or similar and the shafts on them are quite thin.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:46:44 pm »

You could try bending the bridge. That would bring the lenses closer together.

A curved  or a V bend would both add a visual element also.

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
robotmastern
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:48 pm »

The bridge is leather and won't hold a bend I'm thinkin ill have to re rivet it like gimnir said
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:28:18 am »

The bridge is leather and won't hold a bend I'm thinkin ill have to re rivet it like gimnir said
If you have a reasonably stiff piece of sheet metal that you can bend, say part of a tin can or similar thickness, then you could glue the leather to the bent metal.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
HR
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you dont succeed, hit it with a hammer

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:22:12 am »

Hi all. Back in England I tried to make a pair of goggles using lenses from an old pair of glasses in my prescription. Although they worked I was never happy with the construction and thus they languished, waiting for some more leather. I still have them in fact, but the build quality truly is terrible and they need upgrading. So, does anyone have any tips on fixing pre-made lenses in place in a leather body?
Probably the best solution would be to drill holes with a dremel all the way around the edges of the lenses and then stitch them in (I am presuming you have plastic lenses not glass!) this would be quite laborious though. Alternatively you could make a metal edging for each lens and drill and sew that to the leather, that would look good done in brass but would be even more work.
The simplest is to use a glue, personally I don't think it would be that satisfactory but it would work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: