The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:56:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UN-embossing ( even possible? ) or... The rambling of a undertaxed mind  (Read 803 times)
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« on: February 16, 2012, 08:17:30 pm »

I had Spaghetti and meatballs for lunch today... I reached into my desk and pulled out an Altoids tin
and thought to myself "too bad the lid has Altoids embossed into it...." i have a bunch of those lying
around cluttering up my shop.... I could make them into......... ( not to mention they are fairly cheap
to buy new.... but that is not the way my brian works )

Then I wondered if it would even be possible to 'un-emboss' something.... ( probably not )

and then while typing this out ( with my fresh minty breath ) the thought occured to me.... ' I could just
etch a small brass plate and affix it over the embossed name.....Oh hey, another reason to try etching out!'

Clearly, I need a more mentally challenging job......

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:20:13 pm »

You could beat the design out, hopefully leaving an irregular bevelled effect.

Or at least have fun trying!

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »

It is possible to some extent. The problem is that when the metal is stamped it also stretches so you end up with a larger surface of slightly thinner metal and shrinking sheet metal is much more diffcult than stretching it.

However if you smack it with a hammer onto a suitable flat surface eg a block of wood then you should at least be able to get back to a more or less flat surface, although hit may not be all that pretty and might be best being covered somehow.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:55 pm »

It is possible to some extent. The problem is that when the metal is stamped it also stretches so you end up with a larger surface of slightly thinner metal and shrinking sheet metal is much more diffcult than stretching it.

Yeah, I just need a tiny hammer and a little anvil...... lol

My anvil is Harbor Freight 'ASO' ( anvil shaped object ) and is not completely flat on the face anymore...

I use an Altoids tin for making my charr cloth for a flint and steel fire starting kit and tossing it in the fire
gave me an interesting color once it was done.... an etched brass plate riveted ( tiny rivets ) to the lid
would be a great contrasting color

( see here for details - http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1001 )
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:01:46 am »

Slightly dome the lid using a shaped end of 2x4 or similar wood.  That way you would not have to shrink the plate but stretch all of it (much easier) while the stock of your wooden "anvil" will hold the shape of the sides so that the tim still closes.

It works in my head.  No idea how difficult it would be in real life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: