The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 10:11:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lady Mechanika...Gaaaaahhh!  (Read 7989 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 04:16:21 am »

Comics in America are pretty much all distributed through a single distributor. The books have a successful track record, so If Benitez can actually get the books produced and printed, that distributor will carry them.
Knight Walker
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 01:03:01 pm »

He had the new book at DragonCon this year.

A well place stick of dynamite solves all problems.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 02:09:54 pm »

Comics in America are pretty much all distributed through a single distributor. The books have a successful track record, so If Benitez can actually get the books produced and printed, that distributor will carry them.

Good to know, but I'm still not holding my breath for European distribution any time soon, and I'm not paying through the nose to import it from the States.

He had the new book at DragonCon this year.

Precisely, he wants to maximise profits by selling these initial copies at inflated prices. Fair enough, the man has plans I get it. I just personally can't justify spending that kind of money on something that in reality is going to take about ten minutes to read. I'm just hopeful some sensibly priced copies will end up in the hands of British distributors before I'm dust.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Knight Walker
Gunner

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »

$15 USD for a signed copy.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:46 pm »

Sure, but that's still about £10 and that's in the States! Being in England I have to factor in the cost of postage and customs charges (they can charge for goods over the value of £7, and they include postage costs in that amount). I could end up paying at least £30 for it (that's about $48) if not more depending. Given that regular copies went for around £3.50 here, and I'm perfectly happy with those, I won't be buying Lady M again until it gets European distribution I'm afraid.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 08:57:45 am »

Sure, but that's still about £10 and that's in the States! Being in England I have to factor in the cost of postage and customs charges (they can charge for goods over the value of £7, and they include postage costs in that amount). I could end up paying at least £30 for it (that's about $48) if not more depending. Given that regular copies went for around £3.50 here, and I'm perfectly happy with those, I won't be buying Lady M again until it gets European distribution I'm afraid.

Knowing the luck I have had with imports lately, I would say UK£30 before Customs and excise stick the unwanted nose in!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 10:01:56 am »

Yup, quite feasible. Some will probably turn up on UK eBay sooner or later. It'll be interesting to see what they're going for, but postage alone is often at least £10 and sometimes over double that depending. You'd have to be a far bigger fan than I am to spend that kind of dosh on just one very over due comic.  Cheesy
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 03:59:46 pm »

A single issue comic runs about 3-4 dollars these days. Should have U.K. distribution at about the same time that it hits American shops.

Is it possible that he's making more money selling fifteen dollar signed copies at Dragon Con that he would make selling the book through the mass market? He sells a lot fewer at shows, but for a much higher price that he doesn't have to split with distributors and retailers.

But the big money should come when the paperback comes out; along with the merchandise, media rights, etc. He lost a lot of money by going on hiatus for three years.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 01:26:14 am »

Yeah he did. I don't obviously know the ins and outs of all that. I do know something happened, but it's his personal business and he obviously isn't obligated to elaborate. I've read statements on it all from folks from Aspen as well, because obviously there has been some frustration with all this, and I think they felt some attempt at damage control was necessary. The way Benitez tells it, these are pre release copies put out in advance for people who really wanted to carry on with the story. He was even talking about releasing a black and white version a little earlier (this is all from his Facebook), but I don't think he perceived the demand was quite high enough. Then obviously Peter got back on board and the inking was done pretty quickly anyway.

I do believe he still has the support of Aspen (and let's not forget Lady M is not his only work). But I think the relationship has been a little strained. I think Joe Benitez can at times be a volatile and unpredictable character. The fact that he issued an apology quite recently for getting drunk and belligerent at a con might indicate that.  Cheesy

But y'know I'm sure they'll be on board with it, I think they just want to at least know Lady M book 1 is finished. And like I said he's got plans, he's advertising for artists and graphic designers for some project or other as we speak. I do agree he's missed out on some potential opportunities with these delays. Plenty of people were putting that to him, including Aspen, but like I said you can't hurry art.

Hopefully he's back on track now anyway, there's talk of a Lady M series 2 and various other bit n bobs, we'll just have to see. Just actually finishing book 1 will go a long way in restoring my faith in the guy personally, anything else is a bonus.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 02:03:12 pm »

Still he does have a sense of humour, got to give him that.  Cheesy

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-me-be-become-a-billionaire
Knight Walker
Gunner

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 03:25:51 pm »

Still he does have a sense of humour, got to give him that.  Cheesy

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-me-be-become-a-billionaire

If this works, I'll try it.  Grin
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 10:12:28 pm »

As I know we do have some artistic types on here, thought I'd signal boost as the job is still open, submission details below.

"Who wants to join the Lady Mechanika team?

We're still looking for a freelance graphic designer to do our ads, cover designs, title pages, etc. Please send samples or a link to your portfolio to submissions@joebenitez.com. OUR EMAIL IS WORKING NOW! Sorry if you were having trouble with that!"
MidnightBlue
Swab

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 03:27:53 am »

I saw an issue of this on the stands...years ago now...and was excited for a collected trade paperback to come out at some point.

I haven't bought single issues of comics in a long time.  I much prefer to get the whole story, or at least and arc, all in one sitting.

And there STILL isn't a collected edition?

I've gotten use to slow progress with small-publisher roleplaying game companies, but I don't think I've ever seen a comic book that only puts out an issue or two a year.

I've loved all the covers that I've seen.  I really hope someday we get a collected issue TBP and that it has the full page cover art for all the variations included.

I'm getting quite curious as to that Lady's story.

Smiley
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 05:58:25 pm »

I've gotten use to slow progress with small-publisher roleplaying game companies, but I don't think I've ever seen a comic book that only puts out an issue or two a year.

Welcome to the world of creator-owned indie comics.
MidnightBlue
Swab

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 06:15:52 pm »

Well I got an email back that we might see a first collected edition of LM next year, maybe over the summer.  It might be Kickstarted.

Here's hoping!

Smiley
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2014, 11:20:48 pm »

I'm still very confused. It does sound from this like Aspen are truly out of the picture and he's determined to go it alone. Sadly European distribution is I would've thought quite vital if he wants to sell internationally, so who's going to handle that?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/19/joe-benitez-plans-to-publish-three-new-issues-of-lady-mechanika-in-three-months/
Asphalt
Deck Hand

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 05:55:00 pm »

I just discovered Lady Mechanika.  Here in the states it is going strong under his own production label.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 06:07:56 pm »

He has a limited series coming out right now. Support your local comic shop.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: