The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 10:07:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lady Mechanika...Gaaaaahhh!  (Read 7868 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« on: February 13, 2012, 08:26:14 am »

OK, this is a bit of a rant i'll admit but...

I haven't read comics for years, and really had no intention of starting ever again. But this looked so good I couldn't resist. Of course I wasn't too up on the details at the time, IE independent publishing company and the fact that Mr Benitez writes and draws the whole thing himself. So last year, at something of an extra expense, I managed to get hold of # 1 and 2 and then to my dismay discovered that the first was inconveniently numbered 0 and is bloody impossible to get hold of, as all of the handful of copies that Aspen originally published sold out in about 11 seconds flat!

I also narrowly missed out on probably the final EBay auction ever in the UK for the collected 0 and 1 edition, and I'm buggered if I'm paying a million pounds to get it from the States so I still haven't read it and am totally clueless as to how the story actually begins.

Anyway having learned my lesson, I grabbed # 3 as soon as it came out after waiting over 6 months for it, and resigned myself to waiting at least another 6 for # 4. Well now I'm hearing rumours that it's been cancelled by the publisher, and there is no clue at all as to if and when 4 will ever even surface. Is this usual these days? this is exactly why I stopped watching T.V. series because I got so bloody fed up with getting into things only to have them cancelled at crucial cliffhanger moments.

On the plus side apparently Aspen are (supposedly) going to reprint all the issues so far, but that's of little consolation if the story never gets finished. And beautiful though it is, at this rate of release, I'm starting to wonder if I'll be dust before it's even a quarter of the way through. Comics used to come out once a month when I were a nipper, and I seem to recall that at times that was torture enough. I really don't know if I can stand this!  Angry

Is anyone else getting frustrated with waiting?

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Mécanicien de Vapeur
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:24 am »

Angus,

according to the LM facebok page, #0 and #1 are being reprinted again and there's nothing about a cancellation. With only 2 more issues to go anyway, and each print run having sold out thus far, Aspen would be daft to pull the plug. I think the longer wait than usual between issues is simply down to the time it takes to write and draw each issue.

I'm happy to check for the re-issues during my weekly trawl of London's comic shops (Orbital, Forbidden Planet, Gosh and Mega City) if you'd like??

Mécanicien de Vapeur.
Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Keep out of direct sunlight. Contains scenes of nudity & mild peril. May cause drowsiness. Suitable for vegetarians. May contain nuts.
"Bother", said Pooh as he chambered another round...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:35:55 am »

That's most kind of you Sir (it's Argus by the way)  Smiley

I didn't know there were only two more installments planned, I assumed this would run and run. The cancelled business is mentioned here. http://heavyink.com/comic/21440-Lady-Mechanika-4

Hopefully it's a miscommunication of some sort. Still I'm surprised as I did assume this was a very popular comic. Back issues are certainly fetching a pretty penny at present and it'll be a damn shame if it falls so close to the last post. I am keeping a close eye on the two internet sites I've found so far that actually stock it here in the UK. But as you've probably surmised, I'm not one for regularly trawling comic shops and my local guy has never heard of it.

As I say I have # I to 3, would very much like to read 0 and hope 4 and 5, if that's all that's left, make it out sometime this decade. Cheesy
TheDeeMan
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:02 am »

Nice cover art. Smiley

I'm gonna hae to look for this myself.

Murder. Mystery. Adventure. Steampunk
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Continentals
Updates on Mondays
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:09:16 am »

Yes it is beautifully illustrated, and full colour throughout so I understand it does take time. I've read some criticisms that the story is dragging a little, it's true he does draw things out a tad, but obviously I'm really enjoying it personally or I wouldn't be so keen to see the next one.
Mécanicien de Vapeur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:59:18 pm »

That's most kind of you Sir (it's Argus by the way)  Smiley

Argus, my apologies  Embarrassed

I didn't know there were only two more installments planned, I assumed this would run and run. The cancelled business is mentioned here. http://heavyink.com/comic/21440-Lady-Mechanika-4

Gah... blocked by work's over-zealous filters, so I'll have to wait until I get home to view. Given the very positive reviews and sales of the issues so far, Aspen would be mad to pull the plug. Saying that though, Aspen are better known for their T&A comics, rather than a more mature and intelligent series like Lady Mechanika. I'll do some digging.

Hopefully it's a miscommunication of some sort. Still I'm surprised as I did assume this was a very popular comic. Back issues are certainly fetching a pretty penny at present and it'll be a damn shame if it falls so close to the last post. I am keeping a close eye on the two internet sites I've found so far that actually stock it here in the UK. But as you've probably surmised, I'm not one for regularly trawling comic shops and my local guy has never heard of it.

As I say I have # I to 3, would very much like to read 0 and hope 4 and 5, if that's all that's left, make it out sometime this decade. Cheesy

It's highly likely that the complete collection will be issued as a tradeback in due course - pretty much every short run comic series nowadays received the tradeback treatment, indeed that's where the money is, as many people with either wait for the tb or collect the individual issues and the tb - which is what I do for most series I enjoy  Roll Eyes

But yes, if I see the reprint of #0 during my weekly comic shop, I'll pick you up a copy and let you knoiw via pm.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »

I have a suspicion that this supposed cancellation has simply come about because the December 2011 deadline has been missed (obviously) I suspect these reprints are partly to keep up interest and hopefully attract new fans while we're all waiting (tum te tum)

I've no doubt when he finally finishes they will publish. It's just y'know...you can't hurry art!   Angry

That's very kind of you to offer mate, but I wouldn't worry about the reprint too much. Believe me if and when it hits these shores I will know pretty quickly. Cheesy

What I would say though (to everyone actually) is definitely look out for copies of the original # 0 (and I understand # 1 is now sold out as well). If you can get the first one for even a tenner you're doing well as they are seriously collectable now. And if you get two copies, or one you don't want let me know. Grin
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:19:05 pm »

Reprinted issue # 0 now available in the UK.

http://www.reedcomics.com/lady-mechanika-printing-p-51139.html
Knight Walker
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:29:10 pm »

I've been getting these since I got the poster at DragonCon. It kills me the wait between the issues.

A well place stick of dynamite solves all problems.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 08:39:20 pm »

Yup, I've been following Benitez on Facebook for quite a while now. There is still no word on when #4 is coming out....gaaaah!  Cheesy
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »

I received my issue # 0 today robustly packaged and speedily delivered by Reed Comics. I must confess I was expecting the backstory to be a lot more filled in than It was. Still it was nice to read what inspired it in the first place (all the Steampunks Mr Benitez saw at conventions basically).

This is a beautifully illustrated and highly intriguing series and I do recommend it. Just bear in mind, if you start now you could well be waiting at least another twelve months for the final two comics.
Mécanicien de Vapeur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:58:34 pm »

The reprint of LM #1 was in London's Orbital Comics last Thursday, a fortnight after the reprint of #0.

So I'm guessing #2 will hit the shelves on the 26th April and #3 on the 10th May.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 07:47:45 am »

There may be hope!

While conducting research for the compilation of Steampunk graphic novels, I stumbled upon a site which indicated that Benitez is back on the case...and beginning a new series called The Lady Meckanika Mysteries. As I understand it, the original series (which I understood would be completed) is the mystery of her own origins, and the new series are her "work" investigations.

The site:  http://www.joebenitez.com/index.htm

From the site:

"Lady Mechanika #4 - The original Lady Mechanika series will continue with the original creative team but a different publisher. Pencils for Issue #4 are complete, and Peter is currently working on the colors. Thank you for your patience! We hope to get this book out to you soon!"

...and...

"Introducing: The Lady Mechanika Mysteries - A brand new Lady Mechanika series scheduled to debut this winter! This title will relate Lady M's cases, jobs, and adventures while the original series deals more with Lady M's search for her origins. The first story, "Case of the Sceptical Alchymist", is currently in the works with script by E. M. Marsh, layouts by Joe Benitez, finished pencils by Martin Montiel, and colors by Mike Garcia."

I'm not tech-savvy enough to say how old this post was, but the convention schedule was only updated through November 2013. A quick glance at his twitter feed seems to indicate he's still working on it. So there seems to be some hope...
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 06:36:09 am »

don't know if this is much help, but there are several of the covers posted on the steampunkgirls site (only I would be so anal retentive dedicated as to go through all the pages on there. They're buried dozens of pages deep...hopefully there's a search page

Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 08:38:09 am »

I've arrived very late to the party, to tell you that you can also get #0 for Kindle on Amazon.com for 99¢, or you can read it for free on Comixology.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:57:35 am by Keith_Beef » Logged

--
Keith
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 05:34:31 pm »

There may be hope!

While conducting research for the compilation of Steampunk graphic novels, I stumbled upon a site which indicated that Benitez is back on the case...and beginning a new series called The Lady Meckanika Mysteries. As I understand it, the original series (which I understood would be completed) is the mystery of her own origins, and the new series are her "work" investigations.

The site:  http://www.joebenitez.com/index.htm

From the site:

"Lady Mechanika #4 - The original Lady Mechanika series will continue with the original creative team but a different publisher. Pencils for Issue #4 are complete, and Peter is currently working on the colors. Thank you for your patience! We hope to get this book out to you soon!"

...and...

"Introducing: The Lady Mechanika Mysteries - A brand new Lady Mechanika series scheduled to debut this winter! This title will relate Lady M's cases, jobs, and adventures while the original series deals more with Lady M's search for her origins. The first story, "Case of the Sceptical Alchymist", is currently in the works with script by E. M. Marsh, layouts by Joe Benitez, finished pencils by Martin Montiel, and colors by Mike Garcia."

I'm not tech-savvy enough to say how old this post was, but the convention schedule was only updated through November 2013. A quick glance at his twitter feed seems to indicate he's still working on it. So there seems to be some hope...

That's good to hear, can't wait for #4

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 01:03:42 am »

When comparing the date of my first post to the date of this one. I'm sure you'll understand when I say I'll believe it when I see it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:07:22 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 08:05:26 am »

Aspen Comics was founded by Michael Turner, who died in 2008. He was a superstar artist who could sell a comic just by providing cover art, and Aspen's sales have never been the same since Turner's death.

Lady Mechanika was probably Aspen's most solid selling title since Turner's death; someone way back said that Aspen was cancelling the series; I can say with some confidence that this series would probably not have been ended by Aspen; the series can only have stalled at issue 3 because Benitez did not finish the series for reasons that have not been made public. Maybe he doesn't know how to end the story; I don't know.

If the announcement is true, I look forward to more Lady Mechanika adventures.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 08:22:07 am »

Aspen Comics was founded by Michael Turner, who died in 2008. He was a superstar artist who could sell a comic just by providing cover art, and Aspen's sales have never been the same since Turner's death.

Lady Mechanika was probably Aspen's most solid selling title since Turner's death; someone way back said that Aspen was cancelling the series; I can say with some confidence that this series would probably not have been ended by Aspen; the series can only have stalled at issue 3 because Benitez did not finish the series for reasons that have not been made public. Maybe he doesn't know how to end the story; I don't know.

If the announcement is true, I look forward to more Lady Mechanika adventures.
Apparently Joe is working on getting 4 ready for this year.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 10:35:59 am »

"At Aspen's studios cranking in an all-nighter with Joe Benitez. He's drawing #5 and I'm coloring/prepping #4. wheee!" - Peter Steigerwald

That just popped up on the LM Facebook page. I've been listening to Benitez make similar noises for the last couple of years now (so forgive my skepticism). But it sounds like Peter is back on board, and indeed so are Aspen if that's anything to go by, so fingers crossed we might finally see some results (not that y'know, Joe Benitez is our bitch or anything).  Wink
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 11:47:41 am »

So, a collected 'Trade Paperback' version in 2026 then?..  Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 05:52:15 am »

http://www.joebenitez.com/?product=lady-mechanika-book-4-advance-arc-edition-signed

Going to have to wait a little longer for retail distribution, particularly in Europe, but at least we know it's finally out there.

Handel - Messiah - Hallelujah Chorus

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 06:03:37 pm »

I'm hoping for the e-edition. I have the ebooks of the first 4.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 02:36:51 am »

So far, no solicitation for the new comic in the distributor's catalog. The comics typically arrive two or more months after the catalog arrives. So no new comics from now to November.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 04:05:24 am »

Benitez seemed to be stating it would take several months, and coming from him that could mean anything. I'd be surprised if we see it happen this year TBH. I think he rather likes the idea of selling over priced limited edition first copies for a while (quelle surprise). I really don't even know what (if any) kind of publishing deal he has anymore. All advance copies I know of are being sold from his personal site, or hoiked around by him at (yet more) conventions. Please forgive my (what must be by now) palpable irritation with this guy, but y'know, he's a patience tester and no mistake.

In fairness (from what he's now saying), I think his plan is to strike out independently. Not that I would think he's got much choice presently, as I'd imagine his reputation for reliability can't exactly be at an all time high. So whether he'll be able to secure distribution at all remains to be seen, particularly outside the US. I'm guessing with Steigerwald's involvement (given the fact he reported being at Aspen's office when inking) he might have a shot at repairing his currently quite strained relationship with them. I mean someone must've printed those copies up, but I can't actually see Aspen mentioned on the cover, and obviously I don't have a copy of the comic.

In truth he does genuinely seem to be working on the next one as we speak. But I really don't like to make any predictions or trust any guarantees when it comes to this guy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: