The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:14:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What To Do When You Don't Have Tools  (Read 1317 times)
Peacemaker
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:06:45 am »

The goal for this thread is to give ideas and inspiration to those of us who don't own or have access to proper tools to make steampunk projects with custom fits. These things could include: saws, soldering guns, grinders, sanders, metal cutting tools, dremels.

With out some of these things it makes your options very limited. You have to find ways around your ideas so the item you are building doesn't fall apart. However lets assume you have access to nuts, bolts and glue which can hold things together at a fraction of the cost and doesn't take up much space.

Share your ideas on DIY projects that you've come up with or found to help others draw inspiration!
Tower
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:16:09 am »

Make tools. When I started blacksmithing I had only a hammer, a forge and an anvil. I was able to make tongs, pliers, sheet metal shears, chisels, punchs, sissors etc. And by learning how to forge weld and braze I was able to not own a welder for years.

Remember, all those medieval weapons, armor, guns, clocks etc where made without power tools.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:19:02 am »

Choose your materials carefully.  Don't have the tools to deal with metal? use plastic or foam and paint it. 

Get involved with (or start) a hack space or a steampunk craft feet-up that was supposed to say meet-up and share tools with others.  That will give you a chance to share techniques as well.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:13:06 pm »

If one is in the Antipodes and of the relevant gender, one may attend:

http://www.mensheds.org.au/

There may be similar organisations elsewhere.

Not being genderist - this program was a Public Mental Health program that recognised that blokes need sheds.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:45:39 pm »

If in doubt, or without - BODGE IT!!!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:50:22 pm »

Car boot sales and antiques centres can be a good source for old but quality hand tools at reasonable prices, files, saws, hand drills etc. Thin brass and copper can be cut with scissors and secured with screws or nuts and bolts.

WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:08:40 pm »

One of the most fun parts of a project for me is applying the decoration after the basic device is completed. This almost always involves simply gluing pieces on. There are plenty of objects that would become Steampunk just with decoration, no tools needed. As an example, look at the spittoon that forms the base of my Iphone Victrola. If you were making a Steampunk Spittoon you could do it just with decoration, in this case brass studs, clock hands, and a length of chain. The decorative bits on 19th century technology are one element that really stands out and lends itself to Steampunk interpretation. The glue itself is E6000, the only adhesive I would use for applying decoration

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 06:46:48 pm »

Not being genderist - this program was a Public Mental Health program that recognised that blokes need sheds.

Wow!  Someone understands this bloke!  Why can't we have a public workshop programme in the US?  Maybe like a discount coupon, like we did with Digital TV  Roll Eyes.

Actually, on a serious note encouraging people to build with their hands and become self sufficient in these times of high unemployment would be a good idea!

MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:54 am »

Wow!  Someone understands this bloke!  Why can't we have a public workshop programme in the US?  Maybe like a discount coupon, like we did with Digital TV  Roll Eyes.

Actually, on a serious note encouraging people to build with their hands and become self sufficient in these times of high unemployment would be a good idea!

There are community workshops about. We just don't have a nationwide organization. *shrug*

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:23:25 am »

Choose your materials carefully.  Don't have the tools to deal with metal? use plastic or foam and paint it. 

Get involved with (or start) a hack space or a steampunk craft feet-up that was supposed to say meet-up and share tools with others.  That will give you a chance to share techniques as well.

I took the question more as Hez has and I agree with him largely. I started out making my steampunk needs without any particular tools even though the house is actually quite well equipped. I think we can assume that all households have glue and scissors or sharp knives.
The very first pair of 'goggles' I made were from plastic milk bottles http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-realistic-Steampunk-Airship-Goggles/  Now they would scarcely pass muster these days at a steampunk event but they got compliments when I wore them for the first White Mischief event a few years back.

So yes, plastics and glue with metallic paints can take you a long way. And despite what purists will say, sticking spare parts, like nuts and bolts and cogs onto mundane garments or accessories can also take you a long way.

Go for it. Get into skip diving and never pass by something shiny in a charity shop.

Oh and basic  tools are completely adequate from £1 shops. Not good but adequate

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 10:57:13 pm »

I took the question more as Hez has and I agree with him largely.
Thank you but the him in question is decidedly a her.  (alias Miss Primrose Leigh on another board)
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:07:09 am »

I took the question more as Hez has and I agree with him largely.
Thank you but the him in question is decidedly a her.  (alias Miss Primrose Leigh on another board)

OOPs, sorry. I have had folks do the exact same to me!
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:02:24 am »

By taking a night course or two you cna gain access to some pretty neat school shops.  Junk stores, charity shops, garage sales and the like are prime hunting grounds for older tools that work well but have been set aside when the original owner upgrades. Craigs list rocks as well. A buddy just beat me to a nice vertical mill for CHEAP!.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: