The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:53:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Powered Steampunk Watch  (Read 2251 times)
Gustaf Danielsson
Officer
United States United States

Troll Hunter and Arctic Explorer

« on: February 02, 2012, 02:22:20 am »

I was skeptical, but it's actually extremely cool.

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/steampunk-pocket-watch-winds-solar-power.html#mkcpgn=fbdsc17

Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 05:17:33 pm »

I'm assuming the "solar fan" charges a capacitor?  Ironic that the site has an "environmentally friendly" theme...guess they don't understand how capacitors and electronics are made. 

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:22:32 pm »

Hang on....first it says you wind it and then it says it has a quartz movement...?

and 'spin in the sunlight' ?...eh ?

It looks a lot like a quartz movement in a fairly naff case to me I strongly suspect that the 'turbines' do absolutely nothing.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

On the topic of 'solar powered steampunk time pieces'..check out this beauty!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Peacemaker
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:52 pm »

HAHA nice one Capt. I loled
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:23:24 pm »

I took a closer look at a larger picture of the watch - safe to say it's a standard quartz watch, nothing solar powered in the slightest. It's just a bit of steampunky background blurb. Wink

Anyhow, while the sunlight is capable of making little vanes spin around (Crookes radiometer...), it can only do so in a partial / near VACUUM, not in open air. But it has got me thinking, I'm pretty sure I could knock up a solar (photovoltaic) powered watch without too much hassle. A working one I mean. Pretty sure I can get it steampunk too. Don't know how practical it would be though.  Cheesy

I shall see what I can dig up.  HMMMM....Need to find a set of small enough solar cells.... I know where to look, just got to find a suitable size to work with. Wink

SS

[Server Prayer]
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 02:54:18 pm »

<shrug> Start with a Seiko Kenetic or similar, and jimmy up the rotor.  Smiley
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 05:52:08 am »

Yup, pretty much what I was thinking. Only with a self-winding mechanical watch. I was toying with the idea of turning the rotor into a small electric motor powered by the solar cells (probably pulsed via a charging / discharging capacitor, rather than a continuous running motor). Keeping the magnetic field away from sensitive parts of the watch would be the tricky part...

Then again, there is always the quartz watch movement powered via a decent sized capacitor charged directly by the solar cells. Cheap and easy. Just a bit 'yuck' though...  Cheesy

SS
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 09:32:04 pm »

Not sure how well that would work for a mechanical; you need a fair amount of torque, which would be hard to generate off a solar cell.  I have to imagine that to get a solar cell to wind a self-winding movement, you'd need such a high gear differential that you'd have trouble overcoming the resistance of the gearing.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:26:46 pm »

Nah, just take a leaf out of the BEAM robotics book of thought. Wink  Basically the solar cells generate a small charge, it accumulates in a large capacitor, once the charge reaches a threshold voltage a trigger circuit will dump the stored charge to the motor directly, thus turning the rotor. Then the process begins again. It's a little 'lossy' but nowhere near as bad as batteries for storage.
Even weak light will be useable as it will pass through a simple voltage doubler circuit (the trigger is voltage controlled, so the cap will never overcharge).

For a pocket watch, I would say the only practical way to get it functional is to have the solar cells on the chain / fob where they will be exposed to light in normal use.

I will have to scour fleabay for a suitable (read cheap & working) donor watch for the guts, but I do have a perfect silver pocket watch case to use allready. Smiley

SS
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 10:30:18 pm »

How it can possibly work by solar power when it spends most of its time in a waistcoat pocket is beyond me.

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:49:49 am »

Interesting idea on the capacitor.  At that point, you'd be getting rid of the rotor itself, and attaching the motor directly to the center gear of the winding gear.  Only concern I'd have left is dampening the motor; too much torque too quick will shear off the leaves of the gear, so it has to start slow and then speed up.  Might be easier to just use a manual wind movement, and tack the winding motor directly to the crown gear.  That'll give you more room in the case too.
Nathaniel Flood Harwick
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 02:00:56 am »

Not sure how well that would work for a mechanical; you need a fair amount of torque, which would be hard to generate off a solar cell.  I have to imagine that to get a solar cell to wind a self-winding movement, you'd need such a high gear differential that you'd have trouble overcoming the resistance of the gearing.

That sounds like a job for my good friend... the worm screw! A huge gear reduction in a small package and they don't allow ANY slip.

Too many ideas, not enough time.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:34 am »

That sounds like a job for my good friend... the worm screw! A huge gear reduction in a small package and they don't allow ANY slip.

Indeed, and the worm screw shaft would also facilitate the positioning of the motor away from magnetic sensitive areas of the watch.  Smiley

I'm still tempted to find a way to *incorporate* the rotor as part of the motor. General idea would be to provide the rotor with the same sort of movement it was designed for to wind in normal operation. Also handy as a backup should solar power not be available for any reason (cold weather + thick coat, etc). I'm thinking of something along the lines of that used to drive the pendulum in a battery powered quartz clock (simplest form is a coil of wire repelling a magnet). But this could still pose a problem from the magnetic field from the coil - although it may be small enough that it would not be a problem (and could be shielded with a steel cover)...

Fiddly, but I think it's doable!

SS
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 11:39:32 am »

Interesting idea on the capacitor.  At that point, you'd be getting rid of the rotor itself, and attaching the motor directly to the center gear of the winding gear.  Only concern I'd have left is dampening the motor; too much torque too quick will shear off the leaves of the gear, so it has to start slow and then speed up.  Might be easier to just use a manual wind movement, and tack the winding motor directly to the crown gear.  That'll give you more room in the case too.

If you left the rotor in place, would it have enough mass to act as a flywheel and damp the motor's torque?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 08:16:13 pm »

maybe...... just maybe  it is using the heat generated by the sunlight to cause the turbine to turn.....

it would have to be VERY little resistance to turning....

along the same lines as this... only tiny.

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/store/Vintage-5-TIERED-CHRISTMAS-COTTAGE-CANDLE-PYRAMID-Revolving-Wood-Holy-Family_380393661227.html

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
jemamus
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 10:52:19 pm »

On the topic of 'solar powered steampunk time pieces'..check out this beauty!

Wow good one, I actually choked on my hookah I was drawing from.

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company - Lord Byron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: