The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 07:27:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House of Silk.  (Read 490 times)
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« on: January 30, 2012, 03:09:27 am »

Well, I received the new "official" Sherlock Holmes novel for Christmas this year, and have finally gotten around to devouring it. I was wondering if anyone else here had read it, and what your thoughts were?

Please try to avoid spoilers, of course.

I have put my thoughts down at my own blog (LOTS of words, so I won't burden the forum with the entirety of them. I have followed proper review procedure over there, and not revealed any vital plot details, so it is safe to glance over.

In summary, I think Anthony Horowitz did an excellent job, in every way but one. And that could well be the most important one.

What are your thoughts?
And if you haven't read the book, what do you think of the idea of a new "official" Sherlock Holmes tale?

<em>One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery and a minimum wage.</em>
-Aldous Huxley
Grey
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Creating Art the Old fashioned way

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:06:26 pm »

I've not read this book, and as a Holmes fan I'm not sure if I want to.  not because I doubt Horowitz's ability to pull it off, but because the charm of Doyle's work is the fact that it was contemporary writing.  Reading Holmes gives an insightful look into a portion of Victorian society, written by someone actually there.  A modern author can only write this stuff after tons of research, and still at the back of my mind would be the thought 'how authentic is this as a Victorian voice'.  I'd feel the same way if someone tried to write a new Dickens novel.

I'm not condemning it, I just don't feel comfortable with it.

With a steampunk novel its different of course, since steampunk writing can only really exist in the modern world, looking back at an earlier age.
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:40:23 am »

You've very accurately hit one of the nails on its head, sir. I had a lot of the same feelings and reactions when reading the book.

I will say however, that Horowitz doe do an excellent job of getting the voice right: something I praise him for in my longer review.

And yes: actual Steampunk doesn't suffer from that hindrance.
inigo jameson-gatling
Officer
Iceland Iceland

lofthussar

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:05:58 pm »

I have the book and have read it. To me although it is a good yarn and well writen, with characters using names we know, covering something we would expect it isn't Sherlock Holmes and it isn't Conan Doyle. Perhaps it was trying to crash two apparently connected stories together, the obvious inclusion of the touchstones (drugs usage, etc), good as it is it just isn't Sherlock Holmes. It's like the recent renovation of Holmes on the television, it just isn't. Jeremy Brett is the televisual Sherlock Holmes for me, not Basil Rathbone or any of the others. Benedict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Jr playing a weird detective, great idea, but don't call them Sherlock Holmes

You cannot complain about the sky if you suffer airshipwreck for the second time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: