The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 10:47:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My time Pieces.......  (Read 1148 times)
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« on: January 24, 2012, 07:27:38 pm »

I have a couple of pocket watches sorry for the quality of the photos
still getting used to a new camera.......

I carried this during my re-enacting days (American Revolution) I believe it's a European
chaindrive watch ... chain intact and working......coin silver case.... keeps poor time......

Next is my Gandfather's gold pocket watch.......a SETH THOMAS..... it has an interesting
little feature.... a small lever that you pull out from the case which allows the fob to set
the time....

[imghttp://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL433/1045441/1957122/400671099.jpg]http://[/img]

Inside of second cover is the following info " ILLINOIS WATCH CASE CO.  ELGIN ILL.
GUARANTEED 10 YEARS 1212143"

Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:59:05 pm »

Nice watches! It's quite remarkable to find an intact fuzee chain. Wind it gently, those little chains are hell to repair or replace! Winding through the face is common on French and French style watches of the period.

On your Grandfather's watch, many Seth Thomas watches were lever set. Lever setting was often required on railroad watches, because they cannot be reset accidentally; you have to open the bezel, pull out the lever, set the watch, return the lever and close it up. The more common pull up crown  setting could happen by careless handling. It was quite common for the movement and case to be from different companies, and on your watch, the Illinois Watch Case company guaranteed the gold plating on the case, not the movement.

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: