The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 03:28:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Making money with Steampunk is?
Evil
Bad
So-So
Ok if you must
Good
Great

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Money with Steampunk?  (Read 5732 times)
BB BlackDog
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:13 pm »

As I'm in a Band, that has been adopted by the Steampunk community, yes I make money from it, but not a lot at the moment, but growing.
We do work very hard to support the various groups around Europe and the US, and to promote Steampunk/get events going.

We are breaking into mainstream Festivals, as well as our non steampunk Fan base growing rapidly.
We're staying independent though, for sure, Own Label and Label shop, and helping other steampunk bands a lot now.

There's bound to be a growing sector of bandwagon Steampunks looking to make a quick Buck so to speak, but pretty easy to spot at the moment, while everyone's so friendly, connected and helpful.

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
The_Haberdash
Officer

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 10:55:21 pm »

I sympathise with Blackdog.

There's a lot of band bandwagons (...um, yes, that makes sense) towards steampunk. Apparently gluing cogs onto your guitar means something.
I've more respect for bands I'm not even a fan of that have done a video in a certain style, that MAY include steampunk because they thought "Oh that looks cool, and may appeal", because they haven't changed their sound for one single on their album.

Likewise those that happen to like instruments that may be considered steampunk, and lean towards an appropriate sound...all good and dandy!
SirWinkles
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 05:40:53 pm »

I Do not think its necessarily Evil. IMO anything that helps further your artistry or endeavors is worth it.  My wife and I make Steampunk inspired functional art.  I can say that we honestly keep a lot of it since we get attached. We get an idea for something and it turns out way better than we expected, we end up keeping it and not allowing it to be sold. But, the ones we do sell help fund the whole project.

I will say that I agree with some other posts here that the mass produced injection molded "steampunk art" muddies the waters for everyone else.

You can see what we have created here to get an idea...
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Ironarium

-Sir Winkles
Ironarium Artist

-----------------------------------------------
Distinguished Handcrafted Wares - Functional Steampunk Art

Warmest Regards,
Sir Reginald Wickles
Proud Gentleman of Leisure
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 06:54:51 pm »

Welcome SirWinkles.  Nice lamps.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Harbinger_99
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2016, 12:13:18 am »

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you adhere to these guidelines:

1. Make it quality

2. Make it original

3. don't overcharge

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2016, 01:14:41 am »

Number 3 is one of the hardest parts of being in the biz.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2016, 04:40:22 am »

Steampunk ain't free. It can be done "on a budget", but we're all making money to spend on a hobby. We can't be too indignant about money making while we show-off our disposable income on a fantasy hobby.

If you can make money off a hobby to fund that hobby, that's winning.

A lot, but not all, but a lot, of Steampunk focuses on the fashion and trends of the Victorian elite. They had money to dress and act like they did. They spent that money buying things from people who made things for them to buy. Can't get mad about Steampunks being on both ends of that deal.

As for me, making stuff and finding stuff on the cheap to Steampunk is part of the hobby. Steampunk is a maker hobby more than it is a shopper hobby. That's generally how hobbies go.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2016, 04:47:02 am »

I voted good instead of great though because things can get over commercialized.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2016, 12:32:42 pm »

Steampunk ain't free. It can be done "on a budget", but we're all making money to spend on a hobby. We can't be too indignant about money making while we show-off our disposable income on a fantasy hobby.

If you can make money off a hobby to fund that hobby, that's winning.

A lot, but not all, but a lot, of Steampunk focuses on the fashion and trends of the Victorian elite. They had money to dress and act like they did. They spent that money buying things from people who made things for them to buy. Can't get mad about Steampunks being on both ends of that deal.

As for me, making stuff and finding stuff on the cheap to Steampunk is part of the hobby. Steampunk is a maker hobby more than it is a shopper hobby. That's generally how hobbies go.

Hobby - No
Earning a living - Yes
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/258891428/nixie-tube-clock-nixie-clock-steampunk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_a-home_and_living-home_decor-clocks&utm_custom1=e448ddc3-2dae-48d2-9dd6-5480e2e6dbd8&gclid=CIOPqfm3pMsCFWkUwwodE5gK7g

??

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2016, 08:54:27 pm »

I had to delete my response three times couldn't do it justice without bad words. It's not as if they got the comma in the wrong place. Still if you aim for the stars.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2016, 09:02:30 pm »

That has to be a mistake.  He had posted that piece on BG.  Must be a currency conversion problem.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2016, 09:57:53 pm »

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/255398070/robot-night-light-robot-art-mr?ref=shop_home_feat_1
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2016, 10:26:18 pm »

Say,  that really is Heartless  Grin

Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2016, 10:38:48 pm »

I've got to go with Maets on this, most likely a mistake. Either a couple of extra 0's or a . for , (if Greece is like Italy then the currency uses are the reverse of the UK/US. This often hurts my brain when looking at prices). Or both.

Anyway, the maker/seller is a friendly and enthusiastic member of these forums who hasn't come across as a price gouger or someone simply out to exploit a market.

Ahem, on topic: It's great if people can make a living from their passion, the world tends to be a better place around those who are truly invested in what they do.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2016, 03:21:56 am »

Maybe it is an attempt to solve the Greece debt problem.   Roll Eyes
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2016, 03:59:52 am »

If someone is willing to part with that much for such an object, whom am I to object?!

I may barf at such silliness on the buyers actions, but it's not my $$$.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2016, 04:02:13 am »

Type of radix reversed? Coma for  period? So how do you explain these prices below? If what you're saying is true and you have to move the radix three significant figures, then the larger item for £79 is cheaper than the smaller items in his store for, say,  £92.25, for example. It makes no sense

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/255988466/steampunk-airship-steampunk-light?ref=related-0

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/255484584/robot-night-light-robot-art-mr?ref=related-2
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2016, 04:02:56 am »

If someone is willing to part with that much for such an object, whom am I to object?!

I may barf at such silliness on the buyers actions, but it's not my $$$.

Let Mr. Trump buy it Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: