The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 02:03:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Making money with Steampunk is?
Evil
Bad
So-So
Ok if you must
Good
Great

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Money with Steampunk?  (Read 5560 times)
Vampyroteuthis Infernalis
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:24 am »

What about the buyer?  If they don't like the product/art, then it's all moot, isn't it?
I mean, I could make the best steampunkery on the planet and if no one buys it, then who really cares (other than me) if I made it as an art piece or to cash in on a trend?
If people want to try to make money on steampunk, fine.  I will decide what to buy and when.

the starting to ramble
V.I.

Look!   Up in the sky!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's...a Zeppelin?

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 04:47:50 am »

We aren't all consumate craftspeople.  For the things that I cannot make for myself, I would rather help support a fellow Steampunk.  Some of the mass-produced items from China are okay, but if you want/need something really unique, wouldn't it be best to get it from a fellow BG member?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:43 am »

I don't have any problems with those who wish to sell their own stuff.  I'd be quite proud if someone thought the stuff I make was worth something to them. Some people CAN'T make things, some people CAN - trade helps BOTH to gain what they did not have before.  I think this is more of a 'service' than cashing in.   Wink
Same goes for those who produce 'art', this too is something that provides a service - you want it, they can make, no problem.

Not sure where I stand on the topic of certain on-line stores selling "steampunk" clothing, it's a mixed bag really.  Some of the stuff is quite acceptable, if you don't mind mass produced items (or turning up to a steampunk event with the same 'costume' as someone else!) Not everyone has the skills, time or resources to make or find their own steampunk clothing, so this line of selling is not necessarily a bad thing. Quality can be an issue though...

What I don't agree with:

Not impressed by the obvious attempts to cash in by the cog-glue vendors on fleabay, etsy etc. But at least for the most part, they did make it (or some of it) themselves, albeit poorly and crappy.  Easy to filter out of search results though, they usually have several other trends / subculture names / tags listed alongside steampunk (NEW ANTIQUE HIPPY GOTH NEWAVE STEAMPUNK TRENDY-THINGY!!!...). Helpfull that they self "warning label" their items so we can avoid them.  Cheesy

Large companies churning out mass produced crapware.... *sigh* I don't like it, but at least I can avoid it. Feel sorry for those who buy it though. It's not as bad if the company has some understanding of Steampunk, but that is a rare thing.

And finally the one that really grips my piss - those who attach the "STEAMPUNK" name (almost a brand logo thesedays...) onto the most RANDOM pieces of crap that have NOTHING in the slightest to do with Steampunk.  Angry

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 05:08:20 am »

I don't have any problems with those who wish to sell their own stuff.  I'd be quite proud if someone thought the stuff I make was worth something to them. Some people CAN'T make things, some people CAN - trade helps BOTH to gain what they did not have before.  I think this is more of a 'service' than cashing in.   Wink
Same goes for those who produce 'art', this too is something that provides a service - you want it, they can make, no problem.

Not sure where I stand on the topic of certain on-line stores selling "steampunk" clothing, it's a mixed bag really.  Some of the stuff is quite acceptable, if you don't mind mass produced items (or turning up to a steampunk event with the same 'costume' as someone else!) Not everyone has the skills, time or resources to make or find their own steampunk clothing, so this line of selling is not necessarily a bad thing. Quality can be an issue though...

What I don't agree with:

Not impressed by the obvious attempts to cash in by the cog-glue vendors on fleabay, etsy etc. But at least for the most part, they did make it (or some of it) themselves, albeit poorly and crappy.  Easy to filter out of search results though, they usually have several other trends / subculture names / tags listed alongside steampunk (NEW ANTIQUE HIPPY GOTH NEWAVE STEAMPUNK TRENDY-THINGY!!!...). Helpfull that they self "warning label" their items so we can avoid them.  Cheesy

Large companies churning out mass produced crapware.... *sigh* I don't like it, but at least I can avoid it. Feel sorry for those who buy it though. It's not as bad if the company has some understanding of Steampunk, but that is a rare thing.

And finally the one that really grips my piss - those who attach the "STEAMPUNK" name (almost a brand logo thesedays...) onto the most RANDOM pieces of crap that have NOTHING in the slightest to do with Steampunk.  Angry

SS

VERY nicely stated!
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 06:07:05 am »

I don't think of it as bad. It's not much diffrent from me making longer earrings than I can wear, because I know someone else may enjoy them. I like to make jewelry, but I don't need as much as I make.

There's lots of people with leather work out there that's better than anything I've done so far, so if those people horded that stuff or stopped because they had enough for themselves, it'd be kind of disappointing.

But yeah, there are way too many people that tack steampunk onto things that are clearly not steampunk in the slightest, and I cringe everytime I see a tophat with a blatantly cardboard gears glued to it with a couple dozen comments from admirers about how cool and steampunk it is.

Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 01:01:30 am »

Don't see how it's any of my business how someone makes their nickel, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I mean, maybe some people have enough money to get by in this economy and can afford making art and such for the sheer pleasure of it, but some of us live paycheck to paycheck, and a person's gotta eat, yeah? Tacky pseudo-punks and all.

Besides, at least they didn't become lawyers!  Wink

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 02:20:11 am »

I did

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 02:43:27 am »

Pah!

Burn the lawyer!
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 03:34:00 am »

Pah!

Burn the lawyer!

Now... Now..... Remember lawyers have feelings too........

Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 05:59:27 am »

Pah!
Burn the lawyer!
Now... Now..... Remember lawyers have feelings too........
They do? Intresting...
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 06:37:36 am »

Never begrudge a man his trade, no matter what it be...

From the wisdom of me auld gaffer...may he rest in peace!

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 08:19:25 am »

Never begrudge a man his trade, no matter what it be...

Ah, but Lawyer is a profession, not a trade. Having a trade is rather beneath them, don't you know.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:39 am »

Beneath a LAWYER???

Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 01:06:24 am »

Enough with the lawyer stuff, this is starting to head towards locking territory. Play nice.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 11:20:55 pm »

Yes lets get this thread back where it is truly intended art and making money in a Steampunk world.....

Maets any thoughts on my long disortation on page one?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 06:17:07 pm »

Maets any thoughts on my long disortation on page one?
Thanks Kabar.  I thought you did a pretty good job of summing up the different catagories, from artist to vendor.

One catagory that I haven't really noticed yet in the Steampunk world, but is all too common in the art/craft show world: The sham artist - someone who claims to be the one making the work, but actually does little more than open the box and if smart, peals off the label.

I have been making things all my life,  I have been an artist for almost 21 years and a professional artist for almost 20 years.  Making a living at art is not easy, but it can be very rewarding.  The main thing to realize is that it takes a tremendous amount of work.  I generally work seven days a week.  The key is if you enjoy the work it is not work but a way of life.

Some of the work is very inspiration driven.  You have an idea and you create, create, create.  But that is actually a very small part of it.  Many days there is no creative spark.  That doesn't mean you sit on the couch, it means you work on some of the more mundane aspects of your work.  Such as prep work, finish work,  hunting for materials, or reproducing smaller items that you KNOW will sell. 
More thoughts later. Thanks!

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 03:03:17 am »

I have severe coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure.  A couple of years ago, some spots were found in my lungs.  I was told that there was a 98% chance that I had lung cancer.  I had smoked from age 19 to age 39 when I had a heart attack.  So they scheduled the operation to remove the upper lobe of one of my lungs.  I researched Lung Cancer and found that no one is ever "cured" of it.  Dr.s can only buy you time. Prior to the operation I had a PET Scan.  The Dr. called me in and said, "We don't know what you have, but it's not cancer".  I cried with joy.  It appears that during my quadruple bypass operation, my lungs may have gotten bumped, causing the spots found on X-Ray and CAT Scans.
   I most likely will die of congestive heart failure in a few years.  That does not scare me nearly as much as the painful death that cancer carries with it.
   I have several steampunk projects in the works.  I plan to build multiple copies of each.  One of each will be given to my Grandson.  I will sell the others to anybody who wants them.  I know there are people out there that do not have the aptitude to build things. So,the others minus the cost of parts, will be sold and the funds given to Cancer Research.
  I didn't see a check box for this option.

Stan Brewer, aka The Sky Pirate

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 03:18:40 am »

I have severe coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure.  A couple of years ago, some spots were found in my lungs.  I was told that there was a 98% chance that I had lung cancer.  I had smoked from age 19 to age 39 when I had a heart attack.  So they scheduled the operation to remove the upper lobe of one of my lungs.  I researched Lung Cancer and found that no one is ever "cured" of it.  Dr.s can only buy you time. Prior to the operation I had a PET Scan.  The Dr. called me in and said, "We don't know what you have, but it's not cancer".  I cried with joy.  It appears that during my quadruple bypass operation, my lungs may have gotten bumped, causing the spots found on X-Ray and CAT Scans.
   I most likely will die of congestive heart failure in a few years.  That does not scare me nearly as much as the painful death that cancer carries with it.
   I have several steampunk projects in the works.  I plan to build multiple copies of each.  One of each will be given to my Grandson.  I will sell the others to anybody who wants them.  I know there are people out there that do not have the aptitude to build things. So,the others minus the cost of parts, will be sold and the funds given to Cancer Research.

There really should be a tickbox for "It depends." What The Sky Pirate has written here is a prime example of this. And I hope you make a mint out of selling your products, Stan. I think you are a diamond.

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
TVC15
Zeppelin Admiral

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 03:35:32 am »

There really should be a tickbox for "It depends." What The Sky Pirate has written here is a prime example of this. And I hope you make a mint out of selling your products, Stan. I think you are a diamond.

Hear, hear!

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
M. Aleister
Deck Hand

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 07:03:16 am »

well, I am a jeweler (among many other things, lol) and since I discovered SP, I have been making and selling a LOT of steampunk/goth/post apoc etc. etc. etc.  pieces.  I say, If you can make money doing something you love, it isn't work, right?  Whatever could be better?

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 10:34:33 am »

I haven't commented on this topic, mostly on account of the other thread that many of you have read (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,34368.0.html) which effectively biases my opinion.  I side with Mr. Brewer, and furthermore let me remind those who build art and have gotten comments, that many people in the real world really appreciate art for it's own sake.  There is nothing more uplifting (or addictive) than a patron's words after receiving a commission.  A far cry from my family's opinion on my pathetic existence.

For me at least it's one of the very few (I can count them with one hand) activities that I can do and truly enjoy.  My professional life (i.e stemming from college education) is "non functional," shall we say? (I can't believe I have to continue paying my school loans).  In theory this job drought will end, but I may be obsolete by then.  And to be honest part time jobs are not what I'd call "enjoyable."  Brings to mind the period when I was working for the 2010 Census Bureau and I got insulted, threatened, or the door was simply slammed on my face time after time by anti-government nut jobs  Roll Eyes

"Sir, do you want fries (chips) with that?"  Two MSc degrees? For that??  Alright, maybe not necessarily so bad; in the last job interview I visited a web-hosting company who was hiring Linux administrators at $10.50/hr for 3-shift part time jobs. Which is about the same rate as a good supermarket or food industry job  Roll Eyes   So I guess Sir will have curly fries with that...  With so many unemployed hanging around, these companies gave new meaning to the term "employer's market." Nobody has the right to say "no" anymore, and even then, the interview will most likely not materialize into anything positive like it happened in my case.  Professional salaries across the board in engineering are down in some cases as much as 30% from what I've seen.... 21st C. Dickensian.

Then I look at what I have, little as it is,  and I'm fascinated by the fact that tonight I ate a dinner paid by Steampunk art, swung by the supermarket for one of those "frozen things" also paid with Steampunk art, and  in a few moments I'll sleep in a room paid by Steampunk art.  I'm trying to make an excuse to find myself in San Francisco once again, and all from Steampunk -- if only that girl at Sony had a little more imagination!!! *facepalm*).  But it's all good.

I work all the time, but I make my own hours.  I agree with Mr. Maets, and it's very hard work (ask my hands), but always brings a smile to my face.

Does that make me a "professional Steampunk artist?"  Well, I guess it depends on whether the opinion comes from a Steampunk hater in boingboing.com, who believes Steampunk is a fad that should have died years ago, or whether you're reading the comments left by -mostly- middle aged women, first introduced to Steampunk in Etsy and whose patronage is paying for my existence.  I prefer my patrons' comments.  They tend to be much nicer Cheesy

The trick for me is not letting me get swayed by hateful opinions in the "blogospheres" (it's not that bad --overwhelmingly the opinion is on my side, but I tend to "cling" to the bad comments - a psychological fault of mine) and the other thing is learning how to let my art leave my hands without missing it later on.  And the third thing is learning to make things for myself as opposed to not being able to afford what I make!!!

I guess it's fairly obvious I'm not against selling Steampunk Art. Grin

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:03:16 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

The_Haberdash
Officer

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2012, 04:56:03 pm »

I make money from Steampunk.
Not a lot, but the influx of capital is growing.
I started by repairing pocket watches as a hobby, thanks to a housemate's input, and going from there. I'd always been attracted to the aesthetic of Steampunk - though hadn't known the name to ascribe it.
What started as a hobby of jewellery making (and terrible stuff at that!) became more enterprising when a friend said he wanted a unique gift for his sister's birthday. I think the original one fell apart twice and took me and a friend three hours to work out how the design should work...It's funny really, because if I was to make something akin now, it'd take perhas two minutes. But that's the learning curve.
Anyway, due to a predaliction towards such things, and the slow grow in interest for my services that made "The Haberdash" shop, I'd not say I'd jumped on a bandwagon.
Though I won't deny, being self employed and having my own wee business was always appealing. It certainly helped my general day-to-day mood, and gave me a focus when much else in my life had turned rather downwards. In a way, Steampunk saved my sanity!

I try hard not to scream and shout about my work in forums such as this - though I understandably want to promote my shop. Ultimately that's true of anyone though. On Facebook I self-name drop as much as I can - but I encourage others to do so for themselves too. It's all give and take.
I recently helped a band gain their 100th "Like" (which took about 10 Likes to reach). Instead of having a song written about me, I asked they did one about The Haberdash instead. I achieved their goal, and their 100 followers are now potentially aware of me, too.

As pointed out here, there is a great deal of bandwagonning going on with various businesses. If anyone's seen my Deviant Art or blog they'd know of my angers towards companies such as "Claire's Accessories". Alchemy Gothic aren't far off..Great unique designs but no pride in their work. The pewter content is so poor that they fall apart.
I started out with a simple concept: Middle market. I see things I can make on etsy for £40 - £70. We sell them for £6 - £15 (depending of course on various factors). And that includes the shop's commission, too. So there's the high end Steampunk I cannot compete with...Personal computer systems and alike...Then there's the tatty end where you'll see real band wagon jumpers sticking a chain on a rusty and stripped watch base for the same price as me. Then there's me. The middle ground (ideally). It's not going to blow your socks off, but it's not the worse thing you could wear.

Phew, this is turning into quite the essay.
In short, I feel I persue a dream and work hard to achieve the reality. I do something I (usually) love and have never gotten blaise about that feeling I get when someone buys something I have made.
I don't begrudge a larger company seeing an opportunity - But I will always have issue with those that add a label to their work because on page 173 of their new novel a character happens to have a compass in their attic, or because 76 minutes into their new film the hero sees a steamtrain.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:29 am »

Without intending to veer off-topic, I wonder if the question should really be: "With the dollar being your 'vote', whom shall we *purchase* Steampunk articles from?"

My answer, of course, would be: "From folk like the folk on BG.  Individuals with integrity who take pride in their work and produce top-quality products".

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 01:06:44 am »

Without intending to veer off-topic, I wonder if the question should really be: "With the dollar being your 'vote', whom shall we *purchase* Steampunk articles from?"

My answer, of course, would be: "From folk like the folk on BG.  Individuals with integrity who take pride in their work and produce top-quality products".

Couldn't agree more.

I've no objection to people making money from steampunk, but I'd rather not see much mass produced stuff. It seems discordant with the ethos.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 05:18:41 pm »

Due to being disabled enough that I am unable to work a regular job. But not according to the morons I have been fighting for a disability (I'm not a druggie or drunk  , and am still breathing ). Anything I do has to at least bring in enough return to cover costs for that hobby. Thus I favor making a wee bit of cash from steampunk or any other hobby I get into.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: