The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:06:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with my grandfather's gold Omega  (Read 1230 times)
evilv
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 30, 2011, 01:24:10 pm »

My grandfather died in 1966 and left his solid gold omega with a heavy gold strap to my father. He had the watch serviced and wore it constantly until about two years ago. By my calculation the watch has been in constant use between 1946 or 1947 until 2009. That makes about 53 years of grinding use.

Dad died last January and I haven't really looked at the watch until now. It is dirty, battered and it has a broken or loose mainspring. I squirted a bit of lighter fluid into the works, let it dry and it did tick for an hour or two with poor amplitude, but the spring won't wind. I suspect it has come loose at its anchor point, because the watch worked for a while albeit running very fast, but apart from the dirt and the horribly faded dial, I suspect that this watch could be worth spending some money on.

The strap has been inadvisedly replaced with a much lighter one about ten years ago. Unbelievably, my old man who was then about eighty, was suckered into having it repaired for 'free' when it broke, by a man who did all that work for the mere cost of returning it with an ill fitting gold strap of half the weight!!!. It makes me mad to think of it. That strap will certainly have to go. It doesn't match the watch at all.

Slideshow:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Volpoon/OmegaAutoWatch?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKfvdGC-7PLFA#slideshow/5691893234808610754
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:28:26 am »

Dear god, don't do anything more to the poor thing.  Now that you've doused it in lighter fluid, it'll grind itself into dust if you try to use it.  Put it aside until you can have it properly serviced. 

The dial looks pretty good to me; it's a 70 year old watch, it shouldn't look new.  The bumper automatics aren't as efficient as the rotor based ones, but they're different from the run-of-the-mill autos, which is a plus in my books.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
evilv
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:59:34 pm »

Thanks for the advice.

I agree about the dial, and having spent some time looking at it with a x10 loup I would now say it is only dirty and I am viewing it through a discoloured acrylic crystal.

There was never any intention to use it 'as is', and had I wanted to, it won't work since it won't wind. I just wanted to see if it was locked up solid. Dad stopped using it about three years ago and went 'quartz' and I had no idea what was wrong with it.  The naptha evaporated almost within five minutes and the lubrication made it clear that it isn't terminally damaged.

I have been in contact with a company which services Omega and am waiting for a reply and I have traced the email of a guy I used to know who was a watchmaker only today and have sent him a request for advice. The watch will be stripped and cleaned and refurbished before it is used.

If it is expensive, I will sell the bracelet and fund repairs that way. I couldn't seem myself flaunting a gold strap like that. It seems tacky to me somehow. The original strap was a really substantial one.

Inside the watch and on the strap the number 0.75 is stamped. I believe that this signifies that it is 18 carat gold or 75% pure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: