The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 04:44:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lookking for a good hefty heavy pocket watch no of any good sights to find one?  (Read 3605 times)
RATFINKBOYMICAH
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:31:25 pm »

I'm tired of junky cheap china pocket watches there so thin an light I thick I could break lid off with my bare hands do you know of any good websights withh pocket watches that are hefty an heavy ?
Pivole
Gunner
England England

Salvum Terram Meam!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:58:06 pm »

There are some good pewter ones on amazon, apparently, including proper sprung ones. I got one for Christmas, and it's fairly hefty.

Fellowship is life!
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:51:38 am »

I have a Flower Mechanical Pendant Watch from Steampunk Threads that I'm very happy with. It comes with just a simple chain for a necklace, but I picked up a cheap "bronze" (or "antique gold") pocket watch on ebay for a buck (free shipping) and got it a matching proper pocket watch chain that way.

It's a proper sprung watch, and weighs in at 70 grams (sans chains), as opposed to the 40 grams the cheap same-sized quartz pot metal watch comes in at, or the slightly more solid 55 grams my son's double-eagle bi-centennial commemorative pocketwatch weighs (again, all sans chains).

So that is one watch that I am very happy with, that has a decent weight and a nice, solid feel in my hand, and also has a nice lot of gears and things showing, which is also cool.

Generally, though, with my limited experience I'd look for a mechanical (sprung, wind-up) one rather than a quartz/battery-operated one. Ebay would probably have them for a good price; certainly they've got an insane amount of the cheap battery ones for about $5 and less. Which is awesome if you're finding that suddenly you can't stop buying them, ha ha ha oops.

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:06:01 am »

Older Russian pocket watches are quite bulky, but can be tough to find and a bit pricey depending on condition.  My usual pocket watch is Swiss-made from around 1900, picked it up in a local shop for $35.  Considering it was restored and is very quiet (you have to hold it directly against your ear to hear it tick) it was definitely under-priced.  Keep your eyes open at antique shops and flea markets, it's amazing what you can find.  Watches are one of those things I don't like buying online unless I know specifically what I am after and trust the dealer. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
RATFINKBOYMICAH
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:20:48 am »

Older Russian pocket watches are quite bulky, but can be tough to find and a bit pricey depending on condition.  My usual pocket watch is Swiss-made from around 1900, picked it up in a local shop for $35.  Considering it was restored and is very quiet (you have to hold it directly against your ear to hear it tick) it was definitely under-priced.  Keep your eyes open at antique shops and flea markets, it's amazing what you can find.  Watches are one of those things I don't like buying online unless I know specifically what I am after and trust the dealer. 
I go to many antique shops an see pocket watches but most of them I think don't work I saw one last week for 25 bucks but I think it was silver
evilv
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:24:00 am »

I'm tired of junky cheap china pocket watches there so thin an light I thick I could break lid off with my bare hands do you know of any good websights withh pocket watches that are hefty an heavy ?

I bought three cheap Chinese pocket watches from Ebay.co.uk. Tow of them were rather light, and one of those arrived with a loose crystal which cracked as I popped it in. The seller refunded me half the cost when I informed him and suggested I would be happy with that option. The other two watches were nice and this one shown in the link is very sturdy and quite heavy. I don't have a scale that will weigh down to a few grammes but I'd say it is twice as heavy as the other two. I can't fault the case for appearance or feel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260844094994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_7303wt_910

I'm no spring chicken and found the dial hard to read close up without reading glasses,  so I re-dialed it, first with a dial I printed out on a laser printer, and then with a spare dial from a  broken quartz pocket watch. I also swapped the pointers, which was a bit tricky and required a x10 loup and some hands pullers that I also go off ebay.I also swapped in the best movement from the watch with the cracked crystal and ended up with a really good watch. It gains 1.2 seconds an hour when flat and loses about the same when crown up in my trouser watch pocket so I can make sure it stays in time by controlling how it is oriented at night. After several days it is within ten seconds of the Greenwich time signal. I call that pretty good for a watch costing next to nothing.

I hope the picture shows up.

RATFINKBOYMICAH
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:53 am »

Nice watch Smiley
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

aka Helga Von Flam, Lady Aviatrix Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:57:25 am »

i personally would advise a antique silver pocketwatch. Not the cheapest option, but a better investment of your money than a cheapo one , because if you ever decide you don't want it anymore -you can sell it on probably for the same or potentially more money. A modern one would have virtually no resale worth.
my chap bought a nice working solid silver pocketwatch in good nick for £75 not that long ago. I have a couple of ladies ones that i paid around the £40-£60 mark (i can't remember as it was a few years ago now!)
Pike
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Failed the Turing Test

pikestaff
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:16:51 am »

I second the idea of getting yourself an older pocket watch (Hamilton, Waltham, Elgin, etc.)  It will cost a bit more upfront but they'll last forever if well-kept and can be serviced by any decent watchmaker.

You can often find them at garage sales, antique shops, or eBay!

"The law of entropy has been losing steam lately..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: