The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 07:40:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KABAR'S ARMORY An eclectic collection - arms swords and ordnance of a bygone era  (Read 5798 times)
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:47 pm »

I chose to start this thread so that it would not get lost with in the others......
*** All arms will conform to the pre 1914 rule***
In this thread as I dig through the Armory I will share items of interest to those looking for non-SteamPunk items of the era.... they will be the less common and will feel at home in the Steampunk world.... I request that this thread only show arms that I display here, comments and participation are welcome , So come in please wipe your feet on the mat as it's the maids day off and enjoy the items here in.....May they also inspire some future builds

First up is a Tranter model 1868 in 38 Long Colt..... it is in it's original blue the cylinder
appears grey or silver.... but originally it was color case hardened... over time the colors
have faded....

These would be the perfect arm for a well to do gentleman/adventurer or military officer

The Tranter is a solid frame pistol having a gate on the right side to allow loading & ejection of fired rounds

A rather unique feature is the ejector rod under the barrel it is on a swivel and can be moved
to the right to remove fired cases from the chambers... later the ejector rod would be
housed inside the cylinder pin giving a more streamlined look.

A pair of Colts

First is a Model 1894 Colt Army revolver in 38 Long Colt, these revolvers saw service during
the Spanish American War in both Cuba & the Philippines ...

The 1894 Colt was a solid frame revolver with a swing out cylinder with one push of the
cylinder pin all six cartridges could be ejected, during this time some of the first speed
loaders were developed which would charge all six chambers in one motion.

The Colt 1903 Pocket model this is a shortened version of the 1902 model  

Both were chambered in the 38 rimless auto pistol cartridge...

The early Colt automatics were designed and developed by a prolific arms designer John
Browning who's successful designs still influence modern firearms design today

The next installment will show a few European pocket automatics made in the early 1900's
Future installments will include flintlock pistols, carbines & blunderbuss the 1888 commission carbine,C96 Mauser, and Lugers....18th & 19th Century swords and what the proper pirate would wear.... muzzle loading and breach loading cannon and other infernal machines of war.... stay tuned....

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:50:38 am by KABAR2 » Logged

Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:49 pm »

Although these are already in another thread I decided to add them here since they are part of the Armory.......

Here is my 1879 Riech revolver and a secondary British WWI revolver.... a 455 ELBAR m1914...

The Riech revolver is Germanys answer to the old Colt Walker it is massive..... a novel idea was
the side safety wouldn't want a trooper shooting one's self by accident..... this one has been broken
so when time permits I will make a new one.....

During WWI England France & Russia could not build arms fast enough to meet their war needs....

All three turned to America and England and France also supplemented arms with ones ordered
from Spain, the 455 Elbar is an interesting gun in that it is a copy of a Smith & Wesson Schofield with the addition of a Merwin & hulbert skull crusher......
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:52:03 pm »

Either your weapon is so massive that it blots out the sun, or you meant eclectic.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:01:28 am »

Either your weapon is so massive that it blots out the sun, or you meant eclectic.

Oops....   Roll Eyes I hate it when that happens! Sometimes one should proof read more than once.... thanks, now corrected.....
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 12:25:48 am »

Thankyou, if it had been the massive weapon, well then that would just have been boasting! Grin
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:51:43 am »

I'm looking forward to the swords and other blades. I used to collect (nothing too fancy) and be an avid sword info seeker.

Those pistols are really very cool. Smiley
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 02:25:00 am »

Commenting so I can stay up to date with the pretty pictures of the noisemakers posted here...  I'm an AVID gun nut-collecter, shooter, etc.  My collection so far though is rather limited-one rifle.

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 02:22:30 pm »

(Like Xenos, I'm mainly commenting to keep this on my 'updates' pile.  Grin  )

Keep them coming, it makes a refreshing change from all the zap-gun nerfery.
Ooooh, proper ironware, case-hardening, loading-gates, top breaks, octagonal barrels..... sorry, I have to stop and wipe the drool from my keyboard.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 10:42:33 pm »

This definitely looks like a thread to watch, jolly good show  Smiley

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 12:21:36 am »

today we will look at pocket pistols.... the semi-automatic kind...

First is a 6.35mm (25 auto) pocket pistol "LE FRANCAIS" called POLICEMAN produced
in France by Saint-Etienne in 1914 and continued in production until WWII

you may notice some small worm holes in the grips.... many early European pocket autos
used molded horn grip panels so not only did you have to worry about rust you had to worry
about critters eating your grips....

these small automatics had a rather stiff recoil spring making working the slide difficult
a unique feature to solve this problem is by moving a lever down it would release the barrel
allowing you to load a single round into the chamber once locked back into position it would be
ready to fire.... this feature has been copied on modern Beretta pocket auto pistols...

The owa is an Austrian made pocket auto in 6.35mm (25 auto) this is another gun with
some unique features... to look at it - it almost seems to be double barreled but the recoil spring
is above the barrel......

another unique feature is the way this gun is taken down for cleaning..... a lever at the top
rear of the frame is moved upward and the entire upper half of the gun hinges upwards....
during the early part of the 20th Century Semi-auto pistols were a new fronter and some
very unique ideas came and went the more sucessful have been adapted in modern form...

in the next installment we will look at some blades.......

Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 12:31:57 am »

My favorite bellygun is and will always be the "Baby Browning," but I'm not sure it meets the 1914 or younger rule...
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:01:49 am »

My favorite bellygun is and will always be the "Baby Browning," but I'm not sure it meets the 1914 or younger rule...
Yes although a nice piece of hardware for its size, too new to really picture and discuss....... PM sent....
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 12:17:32 am »

For todays adventure we will look at a few blades........

First is an 18th Century hunting sword this would make a fine secondary weapon for a gentelman
or Air Pirate of discriminating taste.... the blade is only 16" long with an overall length of 21"

The hilt is brass or bronze in a nice Rococco pattern...

The figure looks very much like a Hungarian Hussar in some period oil paintings I have seen....
Others have thought this English or French.... I am inclined to think it may have came from
Austro-Hungry....

Next is an 18th Century soldiers knife most likely English or American manufacture sadly it
is in poor condition and the spring is broken/missing.... it is iron mounted with bone scales

This is a massive folding knife.... it measures 7 1/2 inches closed and 12 3/4 inches open

Last but not least is this little stinger.... 11 1/4 inches overall length and 6 inches closed
brass mounted with bone scales....... the perfect assassins knife ... slender sharp blade....
something that Gypsy standing behind you might carry.......

Next installment will look at a couple of Lugers.....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:12:33 pm by KABAR2 » Logged
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 01:00:46 am »

I am incredibly jealous of this collection.

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 02:29:01 am »

Hey there's a Que for those wanting to be jealous
 Grin
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 03:00:01 am »

Hey there's a Que for those wanting to be jealous
 Grin

And I'm in it. Grin
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 07:13:22 am »

Not jealous....yet.....

I have a hunch I will be.  I'm a long arm man personally, but there are a few pistols that do strike my fancy.

Great collection thus far. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments this is my second collection.... monitary set backs in the 90's caused me to sell off a larger collection... these items I have gathered in the past two years.....

No need for jelousy it just takes a good eye being in the right place and money.... Long arms will be coming in future installments as will one or two belt feds....
its just that pistols are easier to photograph properly.... and longarms because of their size
don't show as well.......
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:48 am »

Although I said I would be posting some lugers this installment I got a little sidetracked.....
you see I had built a cannon for a friend of mine and although not an antique
it is a copy of English cannons of the 1730 to 1750 era Swivel gun....
low trunnions 1 inch bore the barrel itself is just shy of 16 inches

I lathe turned the barrel and attached the trunnions, the iron yoke and tiller were created
by a retired master Blacksmith who had worked at Colonial Williamsburg,
 the wood basewas made by it's new owner who is a Carpenter at Colonial Williamsburg,
the paint is a light yellow ocher hand mixed from an 18th C. formula.

Both the yoke and tiller may be removed and the barrel set on a more traditional carraige if
the owner so chooses.

the rest may be swiveled to the side allowing for elevation

the iron tiller although it may look delicate is robust enough to handle firing.

Swivel cannon were used on shipboard along the rail and in the fighting tops to repell boarders
this may be used with a 1" solid shot or loaded with "buck shot" and fired like a large shot gun
with good effect....
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 12:54:29 am »

A sweet swivel gun! Your smith did a lovely job on the forge welds.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Edmund Charles Rutherford
Gunner

While there's tea, there's hope -Sir Arthur Pinero

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 01:12:40 am »

Your armory is truly impressive, sir!  It is much better than my own (which is not to be sneezed at), and I am envious of the swivel-gun! Lol!  You have many more hand-guns than I have currently, as well.  But that swivel-gun...I like Smiley

Slaínte,

Edmund

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 01:56:22 am »

Thank you both, it was a fun project, the steel was longer than I needed and I hate waste so when I turned the cannon I also had enough to turn a nice model of an 18th C. Howitzer it still needs to be bored and have trunnions added.

I have another Swivel I need to dig out, it is a bronze swivel with a 1 3/4 inch bore

This winter's project if I can get the time is a Whitworth breech loading cannon made from a rifled section of 40MM bofor's barrel, although most Whitworths were 3+ inch bore.... there were two cannon made with a 1.65 inch bore one resides in a private collection here in Virginia, it was found in a closet years ago in Richmond.... most likely hidden near the end of the Civil War..... I will be copying this one... it should be an interesting project.
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 03:16:54 am »

Well today we will look at couple of Parabellum 08 Lugers
these are both veterns of the Great War....... and in 9mm Parabellum (9x19mm)

First is an Artillery Luger complete with shoulderstock/holster rig,(reproduction)
in typical tutonic fasion the leather holster sling and double spare mag pouch all
attached to the wood stock

A leather cover protects the stock attaching iron from dirt and debrie when not in use

On the left side of the attaching iron is a lever lock the pistol fits into a dovetail and the
lever lock tightens everything up solid.

With the shoulder stock and longer barrel an adjustable sight was furnished at the rear
of the barrel.... this made a handy carbine I have fired it out to 100 yards so far and I
hit what I shoot at.... although originally issued to artillery units they were found to be
very handy by shock troops sent in to clear trenches, it was during this time a
32 round snail drum was developed - I have yet to justify the expense to own one...

The Luger had a last round fired hold open so once magizine was empty you knew it by
the fact that the toggel was blocking everyone shooting at you from view...... a quick
magazine change and a rearward slap on the toggel strips the first round into the chamber
so you are ready to go..... also provided is a cleaning rod that fits in a sleeve on the front
edge of the holster another accessory included but not shown is a combination takedown
tool and loading tool which is stored in the holster flap....

** NEXT**

This is a standard infantry model P08 if this one could talk.......... it is a battelfield pickup
as you can see it is pitted and the grips are stained......

This model had a simple non adjustable rear sight machined into the rear of the toggle...
Rifeling is still good and strong when I have time I'll see how it shoots.....

Sorry for photo quality I am getting used to a new Canon with all sorts of bells and whistels......
My Ca.1999 Olymus decided it was time for a rest... the button that takes the photos no longer functions.... camera is apart on my workbench.... considering steampunk options and a new button soldered in.... found it still will works....

Next  up will be a couple of 18th Century flintlock pistols ..... after that how about a 1888 Commission carbine?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:29:43 am by KABAR2 » Logged
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 12:46:50 pm »

Very informative as per usual, I'm enjoying your posts very much  Smiley
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 09:16:59 am »

An impressive Collection, Friend KABAR. You ever see a Nagant Revolver in your travels, I'd kill to own one.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: