The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 03:01:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy Ancient Tradition  (Read 1259 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:28:41 am »

My inspiration for this thread:
Amazing Molten Iron Throwing

Do anything could beat molten iron lightshows as the steamiest ancient tradition ? I await the contenders with impatience.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:11:10 am »

Osha would throw a fit on that one...... And mother would say "you'll put your eye out!"

Other than that a great show!  Grin

Though if I had the furnace and could melt iron... I'd be casting cannon not throwing it about...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:17:24 am by KABAR2 » Logged

Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:18:02 am »

Quote of the week: "So long as you're not afraid to die, it's OK."

Grin

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

TheDedOne
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:29:09 am »

The poor man's fireworks.

That is awesome. Especially their nonchalance about it.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 11:44:13 am »

Well I'm glad to see they have protective, heat resistant, non flammable clothing..like a sheep skin and a straw hat! Shocked

Did you know there's no Chinese words for 'Health and Safety'?

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:51:10 pm »

according to Google Translate there is: 健康与安全  Grin
(smiley face does not include the translation)

I'm not shure if every sparkle is a blob of hot molten iron. More a combination of hot gasses. I wonder what the solidified blobs of metal look like and if it sticks to the wall.

So, sheep skin and a straw hat are protection for hot molten iron? Does that mean that when you pour hot molten iron over a sheep, it won't burn? Especially when said sheep is wearing a straw hat?

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
GarethG
Zeppelin Overlord
Wales Wales

Wyrd bið ful aræd

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:00:36 pm »

>snip<

So, sheep skin and a straw hat are protection for hot molten iron? Does that mean that when you pour hot molten iron over a sheep, it won't burn? Especially when said sheep is wearing a straw hat?

Well that's logic at work right there... not sure what kinda logic though  Tongue

Gareth
(Do not try this experiment at home, kids! Or on your neighbourhood farm sheep.)

You, sir! Make an effort!
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »

Worth a try! Let's face it, what's the worst that can happen? Roast mutton!!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 04:45:46 pm »

It warms my heart that this ancient tradition somehow manages to defy the British health and safety nightmare and still goes ahead each year.

I've been to it in the past and the huge great flaming barrels of tar surging through the crowds are quite a sight to see!

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 05:27:53 am »

Perhaps we should synthesize a new traditional event, combining the best of several - such as

The Traditional Solstice Midnight Running of the Flaming Tarred Bulls, dragging Burning Yule Logs, Ridden by a Traditional Flaming Alpine Krampus Demon who is flinging molten flaming iron ?

(In case you were unaware, the Krampus is an Alpine demon that occasioanlly follows Saint Nicklaus and viciously whips "bad children" with switches the size of small trees:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus
)

ummm .. Merry Kristmas?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:52:26 pm by Major Willoughby Chase » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 11:23:03 am »

Perhaps we should synthesize a new traditional event, combining the best of several - such as

The Traditional Solstice Midnight Running of the Flaming Tarred Bulls, dragging Burning Yule Logs, Ridden by a Traditional Flaming Alpine Krampus Demon who is flinging molten flaming iron ?

(In case you were unaware, the Krampus is an Alpine demon that occasioanlly follows Saint Nicklaus and viciously whips "bad children" with switches the size of small trees:
)

ummm .. Merry Kristmas?

A more friendly but not political correct is a character that resembles Krampus: Zwarte Piet (Black Peter in English)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet
Fennius
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:07:06 pm »

)

ummm .. Merry Kristmas?

his real eyes look scarier than the fake ones!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:46:46 am by Fennius » Logged
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 08:07:12 am »

his real eyes look scarier than the fake ones!

I saw those... it's almost like they're screaming, 'help me'.

Black Pete(r)... why was I under the delusion that his name was Joe? And who carried Santa's coal rather than candy?

KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 07:04:24 pm »

Yes throwing molten metal at walls or running around with a flaming barrlel
or demonic visages just doesn't compare to smashing multiple rail road torpedos
in celebration...

Marreta Atômica

Mega Bomba 2009 Big Bang
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 08:11:21 am »

Yes throwing molten metal at walls or running around with a flaming barrlel
or demonic visages just doesn't compare to smashing multiple rail road torpedos
in celebration...

Marreta Atômica

Mega Bomba 2009 Big Bang

What the %#$@ is that? Looks like fun  Grin

In some parts of Holland we have a tradition of carbid shooting at new years eve. A milk barrel with a bit of carbid inside, add some water and the chemical reaction creates a gas. Light the gas and you get a big bang.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 12:07:03 pm »

In some parts of Holland we have a tradition of carbid shooting at new years eve. A milk barrel with a bit of carbid inside, add some water and the chemical reaction creates a gas. Light the gas and you get a big bang.
No disrespect to the Dutch meant here but when I was in Amsterdam for New Year's Eve many years ago I witnessed the most reckless use of fireworks ever! I saw guys walking around with archery quivers full of rockets that they would launch horizontally  from the roof of bus shelters across the heads of thousands of people in the Leidseplein, what we call 'Jumping Jacks' (multiple exploding 'firecrackers') thrown randomly into the crowds and a line of Roman candles laid across the road that were lit as cars approached so they either had to wait until all the Roman Candles had burnt out or (as many did) simply drive straight through/over them. Many of the exploding types of fireworks are filled with red confetti and my mate and I had a close call when some wag dropped one from a balcony that exploded about 2ft above our heads showering us in confetti and scaring the living sh!t out of us.

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »

Yep, that sounds like New Year's Eve in Holland. Lots of people get hurt that night, but I guess it overweighs the amount of money (and tax-money) those couple of hours make.  Angry
New Year's Eve is also the only time we Dutch are alowed to use fireworks. I also used to participate in this madness. Wearing a ice hockey parka, pockets filled to the top with fireworks. Mostly "strijkers", firecrackers with a safety match head, no wick. Lighting time bitween 1 and 8 seconds. You never knew if you where fast enough to throw it away after striking. One time, I thought I dropped a striked strijker back in my pocket. I emptied my pocket in panic, but fortunately there was no explosion.
After going to Quebec, Canada and seeing professional fireworks, I gave up buying and using fireworks. I'd rather pay for a nice fireworks show than loose a limb, or worse.
Every year there are warning advertisings on tv, about the danger of fireworks, but every year there are people loosing a bodypart or worse.
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »

Here in the U.S. we have a quaint tradition that could be considered Steampunk it does after all
involve blacksmiths..... in the 1800's  it became a tradition for blacksmiths on the 4th of July to
fire their anvils.... there is a cavity in the base of an anvil, when turned upside down it could be filled
with black powder and another anvil set on top..... when fired the top anvil would be launched heavenward ........

Anvil Firing

Anvil Shooting Compilation

Annual Anvil Shoot - Tennessee 2010

Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 10:32:53 pm »

Anvil shoots are great but rather dangerous fun. You would be amazed at the ring produced as the anvil is launched.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »

Well, it has tons of smoke (though not steam)
It's also a pretty old tradition..

120 kg Homemade Rocket Yasothon 2009

Oh, and if someone yells "RUN!!", you'd better take that seriously.. Grin

What was that again about health and safety rules?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: