The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 06:55:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Log of the HMAS Marigold: Parts I-V  (Read 56187 times)
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1625 on: September 20, 2012, 01:11:01 am »

Felix managed to get the dead hands off his coat and hack their owner apart, and dueled briefly with another skeleton holding a rust-pitted scimitar it had evidently been buried with. Whoever it had been was slow in death but skillful, and it forced him back several paces before he took its sword arm off at the elbow and its head shortly after.

The movement brought him within a few steps of Rourke and Handthorpe, and as he looked to the two some predatory instinct told him there was a perfect moment to strike. Felix caught the tip of Handthorpe's black dagger with the end of his own blade as Handthorpe raised it to strike, and just as quickly brought the saber down in an arc through the strangely thick black mist of Handthorpe's side. Handthorpe howled, and still grappling with Rourke but now at least partially distracted, lashed out at Felix with a strike of black mist that burned as if he had suddenly been thrown into fiercely ice-cold water...

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #1626 on: September 20, 2012, 03:25:37 pm »

He'd had enough of May Li raising the dead going to one knee he scooped up a hand full of dirt and started to mutter drawing as much power to himself as he could, he let the grains of dirt flow through his fingers his voice lifting as he finished the enchantment

"Those who have risen from this earth return and seek your eternal slumber."

His eyes shone brightly as he looked around he could feel the power flowing from him entering each of the undead corpses risen by May Li, he felt the bindings of her power unravel and release her grip upon them slowly each of the dead fell their remains decaying and breaking apart the fresh risen Treadstone commandos were the last to be affected their skin drying and cracking like dried paper before they started to tumbled as their leg bones shattered under the the weight of them.

He turned his gaze upon May Li.

"Try and raise them now."

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1627 on: September 22, 2012, 01:23:54 am »

May Li smiled a wicked, wicked smile, and gripped one of her jewelry pieces, an amulet around her neck, set with both bone fragments abd precious and semiprecious stones in the shape of a memento mori skull. gears spun in th equartz-windowed eye sockets as a tiny faraday generator spun abd produced a current which drov ethe mechanism to create a tiny bubble of reversed aetheric polarity within the Sparkmoor field.

NO! Rourke roared. Li, don't! your soul --

May Li's eyes blazed. "COME FORTH! NACTHALI  EREZTHAL KHASAHBIT!"

It seemed as if the very fabric of reality shifted, and then yet more dead spilled from the catacombs, and pits opened where there had been firm footing before. "Fools, especially you, Rourke, and you," she spat at Talbot. "There is more than one way to acquire the power to wpork the spells!" She whipped around to face Rourke. "You lost whatever right to warn me of anything, Hannibal," she spat the name as if it were a filthy gobbet of phlegm, "when you decided to stay with your Empire and your fanged Harridan! DESTROY THEM!" She raged at the once-again-thronging undead -- but she faltered when she saw that the Treadstone commandos had not only failed to truly crumble, but had re-assembled themselves, and were now tearing into her newly-called army of dead.

"Surely you know the old lore, Manchu witch," Wilhelmina said in an awful voice, like that of a female fiend straightd from the very bowels of Hell, a true demoniacally beautiful queen of fiends, her fangs grown to full feeding length, with all the exquisite iron-hard curve and sharpness of those of a centuries-old Nosferatu. Her eyes, formerly a rather fetching, rich dark red, now blazed balefully as if lit from within by lightning and magma, her hair flying around her like the mane of a fantastical demonic lion as she walked forwaerd, her every gorgeous step shaking the tunnel floor. "The vampire's dead become the vampire's thralls, 'ghouls,' as some would have it. You do not control them. She turned to Talbot. "Nor do you, Captain, though your battle-ardor is welcomed."

She turned back to May Li, who still stood, dumbfounded by the sudden reversal. "I command them. Destroy her pathetic golems!" she shouted to the former Treadstone Commandos. "I leave her to your tender mercies, Starling dear. What are you standing there for, Paladin Rourke?" she snapped. Stand to, and attend me! And now for you, my dear Mircer..."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:29:01 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1628 on: September 22, 2012, 04:40:19 am »

Starling grinned and it was 100% her.  "So you have fancy toys well lets see of they can save you from this."  She pulled her short blade and leapt at May Li.  Getting in a slash before the other woman had a chance to react.  "I wish I had brought Old Betsy to do this proper but this will have to do."  May Li was not happy with the cut on her arm bleeding crimson in to the white of her clothes.  She pulled a little charm from her wrist.  A little glass orb the size of a marble filled with a black liquid with the consistency of ink and threw it down.  It shattered with a surprisingly loud noise and suddenly every lamp for half a mile around went out plunging them in darkness.  "It won't work on me May.  I can feel you now."  Starling lunged at where she was sure May was and promptly felt the ground fall out from under her as she fell in to a booby-trap.  "Well blast." Starling muttered as the flailed about for something to stop her fall.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1629 on: September 22, 2012, 07:04:30 am »

Wilhelmina knew exactly where Handthorpe was; he was after all recently a part of her, so he was not only her creature, but similarly to Mina the bat and her other familiars, he was a detached part if her, and thus she knew exactly where he was. "Come, Mircer," she rasped, "it is time you were back." She seized teh wrist of  the hand that held the dagger, and forced it around, burying it in Handthorpe's chest, or where his chest would ave been, at any rate, He Screamed, a forlorn, despairing, yet hate- and rage-filled scream, as he was literally sucked into the the blade around the focal point of the dagger's tip.

"No! Not AgaaAAAIINN NOOOOOOOoooooo..."

Yes, Wilhelmina knew exactly where Handthorpe was, but she unfortunately was not so intimately connected with Starling or May Li.

"What'd you need me for, anyway?" Rourke said almost sarcastically. Oi'm jus' standin' 'ere wi' me teef in me mouth --! whoa, watchit, there's othe rpeople in 'ere --!" he cut off as Wilhelmina bumped someone else in teh dark. she could see perfectly well, but all of her attention had been on Handthorpe, and she had not noticed May Li following her vpoice and creeping closer. Rourke, unable tio see bette rthan vague shapes in the pitch blackness, having not yet fully turned, had not noticed his erstwhile love either, but it was soom no matter of terribly great concern, as May Li suddenly was knocked into a pit of her own, by Mina's nether fundament.

She lay there at the bottom in her own blood, holding the crushed remains of the skull amulet, realizing with a horrible sinking sensation and a terrible certainty as the tiny gears trickled through her fingers, that she had lost all control of the undead. If one should fall into the pit with me... No, she decided, she still had the bracelet. I wonder, could I raise myself from the dead after I bleed to death? She giggled and then laughed outright, but then with the same old griping determination, she sobered and tore a strip from her trouser leg and bound up the wound as best she could, using her corset as a compress for another wad of trouser cloth.

"I believe Starling is down in that pit over there, Mr. Redburn, Captain Talbot" Wilhelmina called out to Morgan and Talbot. Could you be so good as to fetch her out? May Li seems to have somehow fallen into this other one over here..."

"NO! You will not save me! You will not!" May Li shouted and gripped the bracelet once more as she shouted a spell in Chinese -- and vanished with a thunderclap, just as Rourke found a basket of cressets in one of the niches along the wall, and lit it with his so-called 'perpetual match.' The smoky, less-brilliant light of the flaming oiled peat showed (barely) that May Li had diappeared...

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1630 on: September 22, 2012, 07:29:59 am »

Starling had blacked out after hitting her head in the dark.  She had tried to fight her way out but in the darkness she only made things worse.  The golden glow was gone, it flickered as soon as May Li fell  It would be back wherever the bones went but for now it curled up resting in some warm far away place.  But the power was alive now inside Starling.  Before this she had gone without magic and was vastly unsure of what she could do.  Now for better or for worse it was a part of her and always active.  Flowers grew in the darkness, seeds from old blooms left with the dead. Her shoes were lost from when she kicked against the side of the stone and dirt wall trying to find a way out.  Below the flowers and vines her leg was withered.  There had been too much power used the wrong way.  She was unlikely to walk without a limp but at least she could still get around.  After all she was Starling Scott as stubborn as a mule and as far as she was concerned nothing short of death could stop her and these days she wasn't even sure of that.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #1631 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:32 pm »

He bowed his head to the Dark Queen and then sunk to his knees

"Too much John Talbot you use magic that is beyond you."

"Be silent."

The colour in his eyes faded and he leant heavily on his sword resting the hilt on his shoulder as he leant forward his armoured hand hung limply and his breathing was heavy, his heart pounded with an irregular beat pain lancing through his chest and down his left arm with crushing force, he looked up at the brightness of Rourke's flame the colours around it blurring the vision of the others before he tumbled sideways into blackness, his last thought were that he'd stretched himself too much forcing the power below into his body to counter the effects of Rourke's dammed device, he could still feel the draining effects of it as it ticked away above them.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1632 on: September 23, 2012, 07:50:03 am »

At that moment, he Bosun and a squad from the rifle company showed up, one of the riflemen carrying what looked like a rather ungainly wood-and-leather pack on his back. "Leftenant Rourke, Sah! Marigold Bosun, acting Rifle Major reporting, sah!" The bosun snapped to attention, saluted, and holstered his sidearm.

Rourke returned the salute, and said, "Let me at the aether set, Bosun. Over 'ere, rifleman." There was not a second to lose, by the looks of Talbot. "Bosun, have  one of yours tend to Captain Talbot, if y' will. He's at th' point o' physical collapse, I expect."

"You're a bit worse fer wear y'rself, sir."

"I'll manage." Though I could do with a pint of th' red st--!" he stopped that thought as soomn as it appeared in his brain.

"Oh dear, Hannibal darling, you really should drink, you know. That impact with the wall of the chamber will leave quite a nasty briuise. You'll heal much faster with a bit of what you need" Wilhelmina murmured as she stepped up close. "Marmont, please help them with Starling if you will, while I see to Han."

"Right you are, Majesty." Marmont said, and he leapt down into the pit where Starling lay, and shook her gently. "Come on, now, Doctor, you're scaring Rourke, Redburn and my Queen all at once. Do wake up and lets get you out of here," he said, a note of worry entering his voice. In spite of himself he was growing fond of these Marigold humans, an event that had not happened in a couple of hundred years.

"I'm alroight, Mina, really, and besoides, I 'ave ter call th' ship for a looksee if the enemy're still about. Got to turn off Sparkmoor's gadget, th' sooner th' better for the Cap'n." He turned to the radio on the rifleman's back, and lifted the reciver, calling out the particulars over the set for the Marigold.

"Marigold here, Wellborne speaking."

"Commander, can you check the instrumnets for me? Any sign of Aethermagnetic concentrations like the ones before the device was dropped?"

"Roger that, Lieutenant Rourke." There was a pause, and then, "Negative for your vicinity. There is a source heading away from you towards the Northeast at approximately mailcoach speed, range ten miles. No, scratch that, there are two signatures to your immediate left as well."

"That'd be our allies, Sir. Alright, I hereby say 'Mission complete,' and 'disable device.' "

"Roger that, Leftenant. Deploying torpedo rocket in three, two, one..." There was a HUURROOOSHHH in the background as the rocket left the ship, and then a click followed by static-crackled silence, as the Commander let go of the broadcasting button. There came a BOOMMM that could be both heard and felt through the chamber walls and floor, and then suddenly it was to the magic users and the vampires as if a fresh breeze blew though the chamber as the energy damp ceased to function.

"Device disabled, Leftenant. Wellborne out."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:53:22 am by MWBailey » Logged
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #1633 on: September 23, 2012, 08:26:01 pm »

As the rifleman checked him over he froze, and carefully checked his pulse again.

"Sir his heart has stopped!"

"You know the drill the doctor taught you!"

The man didn't reply he was already pulling off the hardened leather covering his chest, armoured removed he started to carry out quick compressions, he paused checked the pulse and then continued. When the detonation of the device occurred he lurked up gasping for air clutching his chest and coughing, he looked at the rifleman's shocked face as he sat up.

"Please help me to my feet."   
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1634 on: September 23, 2012, 08:37:10 pm »

Starling let out a moan as she opened her eyes and lifted her head.  Her head hurt each time she tried to move her neck.  "Wish I had some Willow Honey right about now." Starling mumbled sitting up  She was rather glad the place was being lit with softer lanterns than the ones May Li blotted out because even that light seemed almost too much at the moment.  Starling tried to stand but between the cut on her left leg and the weakness in her right she was barely able to shuffle along while leaning on the wall.  Looking up and seeing how far she fell  Starling was rather glas she did not brake anything, or at least she did not think she did.  "I hope some one got her for that, I mean opening pits under people's feet in the dark is just bad form." 
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1635 on: September 23, 2012, 09:36:42 pm »

Felix moved to offer a hand to Dr. Scott to help her out of the pit. "Wilhelmina threw Miss Li into one herself, so you might be even on that count... Come on up, easy now..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1636 on: September 24, 2012, 12:14:58 am »

"At least someone got one up on her.  I take it she either escaped or is dead."  Starling looked down at herself and sighed she was covered in dirt and spotted with blood.  "And I liked this outfit too."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1637 on: September 24, 2012, 03:43:23 am »

Rourke stood off to one siode, conferring with the Bosun. both overheatrd Starling's complaint about her outfit. "Leftenant Rourke 'ere could tell you some stories about ruined dress uneyforms, I reckon. I 'member a certain red fancy dress jacket with enough bullion to sink a ba'tle ship--"

"That's enough, Bosun," Rourke said, almost cheerfully. "You'll 'ave 'em thinking I'm human."

The jocularity faded. "You'tre roight, she made her escape. Literally conjured herself out." He rubbed teh back of his neck with one hand while he grip-shifted absently (one might almost have said, 'murderously') with one handle of the nunchaku; the other handle was stuck under his right armpit, pace-stick style, as he gripped the othe rend and worried and twisted the handle in a vain attempt to hold and mask his rage at having had another Treadstone heavy slip through his fingers. "She's up ter summat, I kin feel it. She'll turn up again soon, I'll warrant..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #1638 on: September 24, 2012, 07:57:10 am »

Summary:

Just arrived in Sao Paulo, and after re-supplying will return to the amazon jungle, a strange adventure concluded.

-(OOC: Madd's part here, finis. Had fun, y'all.)

What do we want? Decapitations!
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #1639 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:19 pm »

He thanked the rifleman for helping him up and steadied himself on the wall.

"She's been attacking the fey, stealing their artefacts Mab sent me to capture her, she'll not be pleased she escaped."

His attention drifted up towards the source of the device.

"What the hell was that thing you had deployed Rourke, felt like I was having the life pulled from me thankfully this place is built on a convergence lay lines not to mention the dark magic inherent in the walls thanks to the vampires that have called this place home?"

He slid his sword back into it's sheathe despite it taking several attempts.
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1640 on: September 24, 2012, 06:58:47 pm »

Redburn staggered to his feet again, after having been knocked down in the last scuffle.

"Good Lord, I need to stop doing that. My head can't take much more."

As he reached for his flask, he noticed the commotion where Starling had fallen. Rushing over, he knelt to make sure she was alright.

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1641 on: September 24, 2012, 06:59:18 pm »

Rourke looked at the captain. "I'll pass that along, Talbot." He extracted a cheroot from his pocket and lit it, then puffed it and chewed the end at the same time, thinking. Then he answered, "It's Ee-sentially a magic-blocker. Seems the Ministry's been getting all sorts o' complaints about high-powered magic and spirits bein' more powerful than they ought; former voice-only manifestations suddenly turnin' Tommyknocker, Tommyknockers throwin' furniture, Things loike 'at. There was even a coach at th' Tower giot slammed sideways by one o' th' old beefeater ghosts. They've ne'er done that before."

"So, when our Engineer's mate Sparkmoor had an idea about electromagnetic and aethermagnetic fields affectin' ghosts an' magic an' suchloik, Piggott-Steng and teh Defense Minister got wind of it, told Blesoe an' meto tell him tae go ahead and work up a "mundane bomb," as it come to be called. You've just experienced a limited-yield version, or that's what Sparky calls it anyway. He thinks 'e can make one that'll completely ground out th' magical field in all directions for a hundred miles 'r more around, for as long as we can keep current flowin' into it." He grimaced. "I'll have to start carryin' charcoal biscuits if'm he ever tests one, though..."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:03:06 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1642 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:51 am »

Starling wobbled as she tried to hug Redburn.  "Remind me next time not to go charging ahead in the dark.  Speaking of I would love it if you still had the name of that cane maker near Oxford.  I am going to need one until I get patched up and I am not useing one of the stodgy ones from the hospital and they won't let me use Old Betsy.  Oooh maybe I can get one with a sword in it." Her leg might have been damaged but at least it didn't hurt as badly as it once had and it felt downright warm.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #1643 on: September 25, 2012, 09:30:52 am »

He stepped up to Rourke his eyes narrow.

"You know the fey will not be happy about that, they are already on the war path Silverhand wants to lead the last of their warriors into this realm to deal with the problems occurring, Mad supports this idea but there are powers beyond those two who wish to keep the covenants established in the dark days with Arthur." 

His face when merrier as he slapped Rourke's shoulder keeping his voice low.

"The spike in magical power I can explain but not here."

He stepped away from him.

"Oh and for future reference I'm a civilian now, I was forced to resign my commission over a conflict of interests."

He dug his fingers into a pocket and pulled out a very familiar sheet of paper.

"My last orders, signed by Sinclair the Secretary of State and the Prime Minister."

He handed them to Rourke

"The government has decided that despite Her Majesty's support of Miss Scott, she poses a real threat to England and her interests I was ordered to neutralise that threat, by what ever means necessary."

He turned to look at Starling.

"I couldn't even if I wanted to."

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1644 on: September 25, 2012, 10:05:41 am »

Rourke nearly chomped the cheroot in two. "Bloody bureaucrats," he muttered through clenched teeth. his eyes rolled sideway over to Felix. "Looks loike with the Sparkmoor device, that moight not be considered a necessity any more." He gave Felix a rather stony look; the warning to Piggott-Steng, and in turn to him about Felix's "offness," so to speak, had come from Sinclair. Sinclair had ordered Bledsoe and Rourke to accommodate Sparky's invention. Rourke was aware of a decades-old movement in the Home Office to rid the Empire of supernatural "interferences," as they were called; various factions, including the Anglican Church, had advocated the destruction of both the Nadir and faery courts, contending that humanity alone could handle the control and eradication of threatening magical and spiritual manifestations; that was one cause of the tension that Talbot mentioned... And Sinclair was one of the major proponents of the antimagical movement.

"Now that it's been tested and found t' be workable, you can bet Sinclair and 'is lot'll want a whole arsenal o'  Sparkmoor bombs, " Rourke said darkly.

"Don't delude yourself that I and her Nadir Majesty aren't affected by such events, Mr. Talbot, Marmont said. "And Sir Hannibal may be too stubborn to show it much, but he's bound to've felt like somebody kneed him in the stomach when that thing activated. I know I did."

"As did I," Wilhelmina added. "I felt as if half the court were cut off from me. That hasn't happened before. I felt your pain, Han darling, so don't fool yourself that you didn't experience anything unpleasant."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:45:33 pm by MWBailey » Logged
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1645 on: September 25, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »

Morgan wrapped his arms around Starling and helped steady her.

"I'll take you there tomorrow, my dear. I'm sure you can get a cane with a sword in it. That's where I got mine, as a matter of fact."
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1646 on: September 25, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »

Felix stared at Talbot, his expression betraying only a fraction of what he felt. The hell... why wasn't I told they'd put a kill order on her...? Either someone had changed their minds, or- He had a sudden, nasty realization that his assignment here might have more ulterior motives than he'd first guessed, some of which likely put him in the crosshairs.

"It appears the people who gave that order changed their minds then." He said. "Because my orders now are to keep miss Scott safe from harm."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1647 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »

"Thanks love.  If I am gong to be saddled with this for as while I might as well do it stylishly."  Starling listened to Talbot and frowned.  "Really, everyone trusts me that little?  I don't want to take over the world I just want to practice medicine and womp on monsters when the need arises.  I am beginning to wonder if I should take a trip for a while until this all sorts it self out."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1648 on: September 25, 2012, 06:11:51 pm »

"Well... Let's call in th' Ministry boys t' clean up this mess," Rourke said.

"No need for that, Sir Rourke!" Mina (the bat) chirrupped excitedly, setting Thomas down  so that he could go to his mistress.  She appeared to try to land on the head of a carved alabaster angel beside one of the more ornate crypt niches; the angel sank a few millimeters, and suddenly every pit, void, and trap door swung shut and the aetheric lights came back on, as she flapped over to Rourke and landed on his shoulder, snuggling close. "We felt so sick when your toy went boom, Sir Rourke." she squaeked.

"Sorry, li'l love, I promise I won't do that again unless they make me." Rourke scratched the huge vampire bat behind the ears. Mina reared back against his fingers, reveling in the scratching, much like the cat that Thomas seemed to think she was.

"Well. I think our people can clean this up the rest of the way, Wilhelmina said. Marmont and I will go back through the mirror portal. anyone who wants to join us can do so. I expect Rourke and his cohorts will be wanting to get back aboard the Marigold...
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #1649 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:07 am »

"Who gave you your orders Felix? My old commander Sinclair has the ear of some very powerful members of Parliament and I've grown to suspect he has some close ties with the Vatican as well, he's been leading the development of weapons that can kill supernaturals for years, hell The Marigold carries their best attempt at a vampire killer right now." `
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: