The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:54:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Log of the HMAS Marigold OOC Thread  (Read 42927 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1225 on: July 09, 2012, 08:16:32 pm »

Madd is cooling his heels until they leave the North. He's around the ship.

Actually, we're just out of the aerodrome in England, looking at the massive superstorm over the Atlantic.

Say, about an hour out of where Heathrow is in RL.

But not to worry...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:18:21 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1226 on: July 14, 2012, 07:33:21 pm »

The violin referred to in the post is merely an analogy; Rourkle does not really, of course, hear a horrifically-misplayed violin -- it just has the same kind of effect on those who hear it. Imagine somebody with no talent trying to imitate Itzhak Perlmann drunk and playing a mistuned violin.

(although, come to think of it, Mr. Perlmann could probably have made even that sound like a virtuoso's masterpiece...)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1227 on: July 20, 2012, 03:53:39 am »

It's largely a forgotten fact that the first RL wire-guided missiles were developed by the British Military under Lord Mountbatten during and just after WWI; they were prop-driven, and the pulled-wire guidance system was just one of several problematic concepts that bedevilled the developers and testers, but in the end they were successful.

Unfortunately, the war ended before they could be used (or so I think I remember reading somewhere).

I can't find anything on it on Youtube, so I guess it didn't really happen after all (tongue firmly in cheek)...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:19:23 am by MWBailey » Logged
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1228 on: August 05, 2012, 04:51:24 am »

Has the story died? Or just stalled?

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1229 on: August 05, 2012, 05:00:58 am »

Just stalled I hope.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1230 on: August 05, 2012, 05:13:32 am »

Just stalled I hope.

Stalled, in truth; I've had several things besides RPs on my plate lately. Hopefully in a week or so things'll ease up; I'll try to have something up this weekend (knock on the nearest facsimile to wood).
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #1231 on: August 05, 2012, 05:43:30 am »

I think it might be dead...

To be honest, I think we're best off cutting our losses and ending it. We can always revive it later on with a new crew and new characters (but same ship) when people are interested in this series again. So yes, dead, but not for good...

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1232 on: August 05, 2012, 06:48:39 am »

The episode might be dead, but not the series. Maybe a new ep in a few weeks.

My character'll be the same; perhaps we'll do the London game at that time. Have to wait and see.

But, since Bleakest Places is Corsair's episode, he has the right to kill that episode. So, onward to new pastures...

(C'mon, MW, stop adding lines already... Cheesy)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:20:06 am by MWBailey » Logged
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #1233 on: August 05, 2012, 08:07:35 am »

Alright, I'm going to delete The Bleakest Places (we were going to discover Atlantis) and remove it from Canon. Joe will still start off in the state of New York for the new Part V though.
Weasel
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Jack the Riddler

« Reply #1234 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12:56 pm »

Finally a moment to myself.

Hi Guys, I wonder what you've been up to since I vanished off the face of the earth taking Lord Hawthorne with me. I'm going to spend the rest of the day reading through the adventures and seeing what's happened since my mysterious disappearance.

Mikey
Weasel
Formally Private Weasel.

Mikey
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1235 on: August 16, 2012, 03:41:30 pm »

Most of us are over on The Stars Await! right now; Stella and I were/are toying with the Idea of starting the London Game in a couple/few weeks, but right now we're playing "Space Privateers." You might enjoy that one, too.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1236 on: August 22, 2012, 05:32:13 am »

I am going to start the london game by this weekend at the latest.  I have have been toying around with this story idea for a while and am looking forward to see what you guys think.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1237 on: August 22, 2012, 06:15:45 am »

let 'er rip!
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1238 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:50 pm »

I will put my starter post up this evening and if everyone that wants to play could post here it would be awesome.  If anyone wants to join up we will be in London for the most part solving a mystery.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1239 on: August 22, 2012, 04:53:28 pm »

Just put up a very shot "between story" blurb. I'm in.
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1240 on: August 22, 2012, 05:08:10 pm »

I'll definitely be in! I'm glad we're continuing.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1241 on: August 22, 2012, 05:40:09 pm »

I'd like to join in, but I might not be posting right away. I'm in the process of coming up with a new character at present.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1242 on: August 22, 2012, 06:44:53 pm »

Take your time I don't think we will be rushing along too much.  Yes starling is making plants grow just by stepping in dirt and she is very freaked out by that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:19:29 pm by Stella Gaslight » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1243 on: August 25, 2012, 03:28:30 am »

Alright, new character:

(excuse the background, image wasn't showing up properly otherwise)

Name: Felix Adaire (AKA Felix Alkaev)

Origin: Father was British, mother was a former Russian diplomat's aide (really a Russian intelligence agent on the run from her own people). Raised and schooled in London, recruited by British intelligence when he was 21. Captured during a mission in Kiev, officially escaped a year later. (Unofficially, suspected to have made a made a deal with his captors in order to escape.)

Cover occupation: To be determined
Occupation: British intelligence agent, specializes in assassination.

Skills: Improvised and concealable weapons, fencing, and sniping. Survival and evasion skills, (specifically city environments, but also wilderness.) Very good at trailing people and moving stealthily. Some training in fighting against supernatural beings, but little other knowledge of them or magic. Speaks fluent Russian and German, and knows morse code. Skilled at drawing, mainly a hobby but comes in handy professionally as well.

Weapons: Devisme 12mm double-action centerfire revolver. ((These existed IRL, I think)) Saber and dagger made with a silver alloy coating to be effective against supernatural beings.

Equipment: A pocket watch with a simple wireless receiver that activates a switch visible on the watch face used as a pre-arranged signal. A normal-looking armored briefcase with a trick lock that will activate a detonator to destroy any paperwork inside if a key or pick is used on it. (real lock is concealed under a hidden pannell elsewhere.) Thirty feet of very light, strong rope and a folding grappling hook, small enough to be concealed in a large coat pocket. A superlight wingpack designed for maneuverability, quietness, and compactability over speed or power, (Designed for city environments and quick getaways)

---

I'll do an intro post in a little bit, probably in the morning (game time)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:34:38 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1244 on: August 27, 2012, 12:55:16 am »

He seems a likely fellow!
-------

A few short notes, probably obvious stuff, but anyway...

1. St. Simeon's Chapel/Church/Monastery/Convent is fictitious. In no way do I intend to allude to St. Simeon's Hotel in London (which is the only place there called "St. Simeon's" in RL), or any current or former vatic establishment.

2. The Nadir Court's domain is not the Hellfire Caves (which I think are in another locale entirely than London, though I'm not truly certain). the Vampires' underground demesne is much too large, too deep, and too extensive to be part of the Hellfire complex. Like the Mirror worlds from the Vampirella and Dracula comicbooks (Long story, and I may have the series or comicbooks' names slightly wrong, since the last time I read one was about thirty years ago), it is not all there in the same dimension(s).

3. The Vampires.
They can sense anyone who is not one of their kind, especially in their own demesne. They may choose to let an intruder sneak around and such, but being at their core supernaturally-predatory creatures, adn on their own ground, they do know the intruder is there, albeit not with pinpoint accuracy until they start to hunt him in earnest.
a. some are more, and some are less, resistant to silver. The Paladins tend to use silver for enforcement purposes, so they would be very resistant. Rourke is not completely turned, yet, so he is only slightly affected by silver, but less so than the other Paladins. Marmont is about like Alucard from the Hellsing series (first anime, actually, he could bathe in molten silver) in that regard (but with a different personality). He's also very, very old; He came over from Rome during Agricola's tenure, and at som epointg at that juncture was turned, not certain by whom. He has survived wcountless wars and confluicts in both the human and vampire circles, and fought at Jerusalem during the Crusades.
b. There are humans amongst the vampires. Some are familiars, and som eare allies or guests, some are hostages in the old, diplomatic sense. There are also people who are somewhat less or perhaps more than human; commonly referred to as "kine," they are the mainstay of teh underground population's food supply. The vampires do hunt aboveground, but by special treaty arrangement they do not do so to excess, and only target those the "apex," or daylight (i.e., human) crown deems "expendable." that status changes with both the political and diplomatic climate.
Wilhelmina Harker, the Nadir Queen, is Dracula's direct offspring, and thus has all of his powers and proclivities.  She is a very beautiful, apparently young woman, but very, very powerful, almostg to Marmont's level.

The Nadir Court is much like that of Scotland back at the time of aboutHenry the 5th through Mary from the Elizabethan era; separate, sovereign, often allied, but also subordinate, in a very delicate sense, to Victoria Regina's court. Victoria's is not the first to have allied with the Nadir court, but it is the first in recent reigns.

I guess I really ought to do character sheets for Wilhelmina and Marmont...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:03:27 am by MWBailey » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1245 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:40 am »

I think Felix is going to let the stair wardens take him in, if he doesn't meet up with the others right now. (Since he is at least officially on Rourke's side.)

1. St. Simeon's Chapel/Church/Monastery/Convent is fictitious. In no way do I intend to allude to St. Simeon's Hotel in London (which is the only place there called "St. Simeon's" in RL), or any current or former vatic establishment.

Good to know, I was thinking you did mean the hotel when I looked it up. Wink
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1246 on: August 28, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

Class finals (again) today, I'll most likely be out until afternoon.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1247 on: August 28, 2012, 04:04:31 pm »

Good luck.
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1248 on: August 29, 2012, 04:52:22 pm »

Been a busy week, what with a hurricane and then people out sick at work, but I'm back for now.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1249 on: August 29, 2012, 05:20:18 pm »

Goodness sounds like you have had the week from hadies.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: