The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 09:50:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Surrey Steampunk Convivial  (Read 8228 times)
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« on: November 25, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »

The first Surrey Steampunk Convivial is a gathering that starts with a history walk of the road that HG Wells lived in when he wrote the Time Machine (Worcester Park) hosted by Clive Popkin, poet and descendant of Vlad the Impaler, followed by good food at the HG Wells pub (just up the road in North Cheam), and a full day programme of features and entertainment including snail racing (subject to availability) tea duelling, a shadow puppet workshop and an alternative steampunk mini-market and lots of live music in the evening, including Steampunk artists Tom Slatter and Moth and a few special guests, with projections by Prof. Kit Krakenspine in stunning monochrome. There is talk of an Edwardian photo booth. There will also be the Wonderful Cake Competition, plus there will be an interactive steampunk theatre event interwoven through the event - watch out for it!

Sadly, tickets for this event are strictly limited, so to avoid disappointment please do book early!

Date: February 25th 2012
Time: from 10am until midnight
Tickets: £5 for all day and evening events, (not including food and drink) available online (you can even reserve tickets online and pay on the door).

For more details, please visit: www.harpsfest.com

And there is a Facebook page here:https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=316684728342472

I hope to see you there!

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:18:47 am »

It looks like the Cake competition will be judged by YOU!
Each attendee will be given a token to vote for the best cake, taking into consideration taste, and general awesomeness.

This may mean that you have to eat a fair bit of cake, there is always a trade off to these kind of things.  Roll Eyes
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:41:16 pm »

Just a little update!

The website has been updated with a few friendly pdfs: https://www.harpsfest.com

The local Guardian in Epsom , Sutton, and Kingston should be in attendance, and will be popping up all over the place to take portraits of our steampunkish goodness for their local rag.

There is also mention of a Clockwork Snail Race heat! details on the website soon!

And I created a little poster the other day:

Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:23:13 am »

Looking forward to bringing my little stall of wares! (If that is still ok?)

looking forward to the event in any case!!

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:57:33 am »

Tickets purchased!  I think I've also manage to convince a work colleague to come along, for her first foray into the world of steampunk.  She's a little nervous about fitting in but hopefully I've assured her that this event will be an ideal opportunity to break the ice!  Smiley
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:00:09 am »

Ticket acquired, looking forward to it!

Cheesy

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:19:47 am »

Cheesy

This sounds really good. I've asked The Countess if she's up for it but as it's the weekend before the 3rd F&M weekend in North Wales it might be a bit too much to try and do both events..we'll have to see.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 12:08:14 pm »

Why of course that is perfectly fine! Looking forward to seeing you there, Mrs Horne.
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:09:23 pm »

Tickets purchased!  I think I've also manage to convince a work colleague to come along, for her first foray into the world of steampunk.  She's a little nervous about fitting in but hopefully I've assured her that this event will be an ideal opportunity to break the ice!  Smiley

Do tell her that there may be some non-steampunk-but-interested people there...she will be most welcome!
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »

Cheesy

This sounds really good. I've asked The Countess if she's up for it but as it's the weekend before the 3rd F&M weekend in North Wales it might be a bit too much to try and do both events..we'll have to see.

Oh, I do hope you can both come. If not, have a great time in North Wales. I am glad we didn't clash with it completely!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »

Cheesy

Oh, I do hope you can both come. If not, have a great time in North Wales. I am glad we didn't clash with it completely!

The Countess is up for this..do you have a postcode  for the Convivial so she can check it for driving distance etc..?

EDIT: OK sorted..tickets bought!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:02:13 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 01:08:48 pm »

We'll meet at The Worcester Park Tavern, Park Terrace, off Malden Road, Worcester Park, KT4 7JZ
There is also a lovely map at http://www.harpsfest.com/

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »

We'll meet at The Worcester Park Tavern, Park Terrace, off Malden Road, Worcester Park, KT4 7JZ
There is also a lovely map at http://www.harpsfest.com/

Much obliged, Ms Adler.
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:54 pm »

Admission secured, although I will probably arrive in the afternoon....

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »

Wonderful! It will be good to see you and the Countess, Captain!

A rough idea of what is on offer:

We shall be meeting at the Worcester Park Tavern at 10am, they shall be open early especially for us, (The press will be taking photos...gosh!) followed by the HG Wells history walk which ends up back at the Tavern.
Then, on to the HG Wells pub for lunch or liquid refreshments.
Then, on to the Royal Oak for an 2pm-ish afternoon mini market interspersed with very silly entertainment...(it might be the best place to head for Sir. Poiselamppe)
There is an option of going to The Glass House for supper for those that are flush, but the Royal Oak shall be serving food as well.
And finally in the evening, we shall have some live music back at the Royal Oak, with black and white projections and Disc Jockeying with proper vinyl to close the night for old times sake!

Much finer detail on www.harpsfest.com , and I am updating the site with bits and bobs as the event develops, so do check from time to time...

vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 04:31:31 pm »

Do tell her that there may be some non-steampunk-but-interested people there...she will be most welcome!

i figured this might be a suitable first event for her! Smiley

By the way, for those of us getting there by car, which of the pub car parks would be best to use (or indeed elsewhere) - park up at the Worcester Tavern first and move it to the Royal Oak later?  Don't want to risk upsetting any of the pubs by using their facilities uninvited.
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 09:22:07 pm »

Tickets purchased!  I think I've also manage to convince a work colleague to come along, for her first foray into the world of steampunk.  She's a little nervous about fitting in but hopefully I've assured her that this event will be an ideal opportunity to break the ice!  Smiley

i figured this might be a suitable first event for her! Smiley

By the way, for those of us getting there by car, which of the pub car parks would be best to use (or indeed elsewhere) - park up at the Worcester Tavern first and move it to the Royal Oak later?  Don't want to risk upsetting any of the pubs by using their facilities uninvited.

There is a downloadable hand drawn map on www.harpsfest.com showing parking. I call it Gogglemaps.  Grin
All the pubs know we are coming, and there is very ample parking at The Worcester Park Tavern, good parking at The HG Wells and some parking at the Royal Oak too.

They are all aware we may be parking, but I am negotiating other parking spaces as well.  Smiley

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:32:09 pm by Cubinoid » Logged
Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 12:00:26 pm »

Excellent! Ticket acquired! Very much looking forward to it. Especially as it's not my usual geographical location!
My dear hubby used to live in Kingston (and my sister lives close by) so we do get down that way from time to time.

many thanks!

Why of course that is perfectly fine! Looking forward to seeing you there, Mrs Horne.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:26:57 pm by Mrs Van Horne » Logged
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »

There is a downloadable hand drawn map on www.harpsfest.com showing parking. I call it Gogglemaps.

..and very handy and informative it is, too. Much obliged...
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »

Strangely, there has been a little burst of interest in buying posters for the event (I never suspected that might happen!)

It has taken me a little while to sort out packaging for these, but I have found some really nice white cardboard tubes which seem to do the job. I'll be sending a bunch of them out by Royal Mail this afternoon.

Rather than put a price on them, I have said that I will be happy to send them out for free as a gift. 

If anyone else would like one, do let me know - they do look rather nice printed out roughly A3 size, I have to say!
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »

Here! Me! *hopping up and down, waving arms about*
You don't have to send it, just reserve me one, please? Smiley
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:53 pm »

Why, certainly!
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 02:00:04 am »

I thank you most kindly!  Smiley
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 04:14:38 am »

Just an update: The website has been updated with links and useful things to click on...

Certificates for the tea duelling, cake competition and snail racing have been prepared! There is now going to be a raffle...

www.harpsfest.com

mark V
Snr. Officer
England England

where's the firing shovel

1CC1_36006
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 05:50:06 am »

I've just been looking at the nice hand drawn map and thought that it's worth pointing out that the car park behind Waitrose is one of those ones where it's free if you shop there as there is a chap in a little hut on the exit who checks the tickets and it gets shut just after closing time for the shop (8pm on a Saturday)which could be difficult if you leave it til later as they do put a big post in that makes exit unfeasible in a car.   

general hammer abuser former lawnmower fireman
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: