The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 10:17:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cause for celebration  (Read 985 times)
Strapped-4-Cache
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Oooo! Shiny!

« on: November 16, 2011, 06:12:50 pm »

This morning I noticed that the inexpensive Westclox “Scotty” that I had purchased recently had stopped running.  I had wound it last night, and a tentative attempt at winding showed that it was still basically fully wound.  It’s kept reasonably good time until today, so I was more than a bit disappointed.

I didn’t want to risk over-winding, but did open the case, puff some air into it, shook it a bit and eventually got it to start running again.  I’m unsure if there’s a bit of lint in the case or it’s just getting gummed up due to age.  The watch isn’t worth enough to get it serviced, but since I’m getting used to carrying a pocket watch instead of wearing a wristwatch I started looking for a replacement.

A quick search through a box that contains a collection of various watches turned up some older pocket watches that I haven’t looked at in quite a while.  Among them was a Waltham Model 1908.  Nothing fancy, but a good, simple watch that I acquired in a trade with my father several years ago.  It’s a 16s gold-filled case that shows no brassing, with a fairly basic 9-jewel movement.  Since most of the others I own are larger or are in need of service I decided to give it a try.  I gently wound it a couple of times and was rewarded with a quiet, consistent ticking.  I set the time and am happy to see that it has remained accurate for the last few hours.

I know that it should be serviced and plan to do so, but I’m happy to have a very nice watch to replace the one that has decided to start twitching.  When the Benson has been serviced and is back in hand I’ll be giving this one it’s turn at being serviced.  For being  73 - 74 years old, according to the serial number, this thing is running like a champ.  I hope I can be so fortunate when I’m that age.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:30:05 pm »

Would love to see pictures...the 9j version isn't that common, but was frequently seen in military issued watches.  It will likely say "Premier" on the movement.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Strapped-4-Cache
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Oooo! Shiny!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:36 pm »

Mine simply says Waltham, 9 Jewels, Made in USA.  The inner dust cover is surprisingly tight-fitting, but that's probably a good thing.  It might be what's allowed the movement to stay relatively clean and able to operate so flawlessly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: