The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 10:21:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 39885 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #700 on: February 19, 2017, 10:04:28 pm »

I've promised to make her a set of mechanical wings to go with the outfit for Steampunk outings.

Yours,
Miranda.

Might we see that at Whitby if you are there in April?
I'd love to have wings but I think they'd have to be quite large to get me air-born, so I might try for a jet pack instead - if I can figure out a way to make one I can sit down comfortably in.  (I know, I know, but I've reached the age where a nice cup of tea may be more attractive than a kick-ass prop!)

Unfortunately not Whitby this year - my eldest has another engagement that weekend. However, we are toying with the idea of going to the Whitby Steampunk weekend at the end of July - we'll just need to see if it fits around the summer hols.

As for the jetpack, I'd suggest making it nice and light with a quick release harness, so it can be whipped on and off quickly when sitting and then moving on.

Yours,
Miranda.
SherryR
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #701 on: March 31, 2017, 11:36:19 pm »

I'm sewing Teacup Holsters from a pattern I developed. I've been sewing since small kid days, and quilting since the early 80's, so wanted a teacup holster that I could sew to match my outfits, instead of make from leather. Quite happy with how it turned out!

Sherrillynn aka Sherry Ramaila of Steamtorium

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #702 on: April 01, 2017, 11:00:05 am »

I'm sewing Teacup Holsters from a pattern I developed. I've been sewing since small kid days, and quilting since the early 80's, so wanted a teacup holster that I could sew to match my outfits, instead of make from leather. Quite happy with how it turned out!

Sherrillynn aka Sherry Ramaila of Steamtorium

May I say your creation is lovely and practical in equal measure. Nice china too!

Yours,
Miranda.
Algernon Dalrymple Smythe
« Reply #703 on: April 10, 2017, 12:01:43 pm »

Ok - not in the same league as what you ladies do - wot

Just finishing off a Byron-esque shirt...multi purpose in linen to be used from English Civil war through to Steam punk

just need the points putting onto the cord in truth
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #704 on: April 10, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »

Ok - not in the same league as what you ladies do - wot

Just finishing off a Byron-esque shirt...multi purpose in linen to be used from English Civil war through to Steam punk

just need the points putting onto the cord in truth

Picture didn't come up
Algernon Dalrymple Smythe
« Reply #705 on: April 10, 2017, 04:50:03 pm »

sorry if that didn't work

direct link to the Made stuff on Google for you...hope this works better

https://goo.gl/photos/aQknjXyHQJcqesNQ6

The boots were from a £1 pair of just above ankle high cowboy boots (whats the point of that) with a broken zip...I stripped the uppers off of them and added the tall uppers for riding boots / English Civil war long/ bucket boots...can I just add that I HATE sewing leather
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #706 on: May 01, 2017, 03:09:55 pm »

I realised last night that we have tickets for a steampunk ball next weekend and, because I couldn't sleep, I planned a new bodice to wear ....
and now I am making it .... I don't know if I will get it finished as I want to do all sorts of twiddly bits on it, but if I don't I can always fall back on plan B. (Ah yes, just realised I don't actually have a plan B; perhaps I should be sewing not typing ......)  Nah!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #707 on: May 05, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »

I realised last night that we have tickets for a steampunk ball next weekend and, because I couldn't sleep, I planned a new bodice to wear ....
and now I am making it .... I don't know if I will get it finished as I want to do all sorts of twiddly bits on it, but if I don't I can always fall back on plan B. (Ah yes, just realised I don't actually have a plan B; perhaps I should be sewing not typing ......)  Nah!

Best of luck - whilst sewing can be a fun hobby, I know it can be an absolute nightmare when working against a deadline.

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #708 on: May 05, 2017, 11:27:17 pm »

Lovely boots, Mr Dalrymple Smythe - the leather looks beautifully buttery

I never liked sewing, especially machine sewing - my strength is sewing on buttons, and the occasional hemming fit (apart from embroidery, that is!), so I gave my machine to a friend who loves to sew, but couldn't afford a decent machine. Now I'm happily not sewing, and she is happily sewing - win-win!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:29:59 pm by Banfili » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #709 on: May 06, 2017, 04:18:11 pm »

Best of luck - whilst sewing can be a fun hobby, I know it can be an absolute nightmare when working against a deadline.

Yours,
Miranda.

Finished it! And it fits .... (thank goodness for back lacing!)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #710 on: May 07, 2017, 10:43:20 am »

Well done! If any pictures get posted up anywhere of it being worn next weekend (or maybe it gets filmed by the BBC again  Wink) please let us know! By the way, how did the Whitby weekend go for you? It looked like there was some lovely weather for once. Oh yes - and with the change of date for the autumn WGW we can go up to it!  Grin

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #711 on: May 07, 2017, 06:29:15 pm »

Well done! If any pictures get posted up anywhere of it being worn next weekend (or maybe it gets filmed by the BBC again  Wink) please let us know! By the way, how did the Whitby weekend go for you? It looked like there was some lovely weather for once. Oh yes - and with the change of date for the autumn WGW we can go up to it!  Grin

Yours,
Miranda.

Whitby was lovely, although it didn't seem quite as busy even taking into account that the spring event tends to be a bit quieter; we certainly had the weather, which definitely helps.  Great that you can get to the autumn WGW, we are certainly planning to be there.

Regards,
Cora
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #712 on: June 30, 2017, 04:32:25 pm »

Well, I'm trying to sew the flounce-backed skirt from Simplicity pattern 1558 using a satin fabric and so far I have just one word of advice to anyone thinking of using this pattern .... don't!  Other words might include "no, really, don't" and "I warned you ...."
Slippery, fraying*, voluminous and awkward also spring to mind, with a final declaration of  "never again!"

Better get back to it I suppose, because if I don't it's going to end up in the 'never gonna finish it/wish I'd never started it' pile - the only reason it's not there yet is because it used 5 metres of fabric and I refuse to be defeated.

* even after I overstitched the edges.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #713 on: June 30, 2017, 08:28:18 pm »

Well, I'm trying to sew the flounce-backed skirt from Simplicity pattern 1558 using a satin fabric and so far I have just one word of advice to anyone thinking of using this pattern .... don't!  Other words might include "no, really, don't" and "I warned you ...."
Slippery, fraying*, voluminous and awkward also spring to mind, with a final declaration of  "never again!"

Better get back to it I suppose, because if I don't it's going to end up in the 'never gonna finish it/wish I'd never started it' pile - the only reason it's not there yet is because it used 5 metres of fabric and I refuse to be defeated.

* even after I overstitched the edges.

For a *hidden*cut edge and if you don't mind hard scratchy edges, a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate will stop runs in satin type fabric... The superglue will change the colour of the fabric and make the edge sharp to the skin, but it will stop fraying at the edge. I learned this from my cheap Cheongsam /Quipao shirt which sadly spends most of it's time in the closet, precisely because the synthetic fabric is extremely easy to fray and run as I imagine the fires whichever synthetic polymer they're made of, are even more slippery than Teflon.

~ ~ ~

Has anyone ever sewn a Mandarin style collar? I'm having to stitch some velvet over an existing (and very floppy structureless) cotton twill lapelled collar which I will trim and cover with said velvet...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:32:23 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #714 on: July 01, 2017, 02:21:38 am »

"Has anyone ever sewn a Mandarin style collar? I'm having to stitch some velvet over an existing (and very floppy structureless) cotton twill lapelled collar which I will trim and cover with said velvet... "

I have done a few... A double side of velvet might be a bit too bulky. If it isn't, you really only need to cut out a rectangle of velvet that will fit the full cut-out collar. If you cut the fabric as a straight rectangle, it should help to make the collar sit up properly. Machine sew it on one long edge to the outside, then fold it over the existing collar and hand stitch it on the inside. The front edge (the end of the velvet) will need to be carefully folded back inside itself and hand stitched. Small light hand stitches - don't pull too hard or the edges will be bumpy.

If you still think it will be too floppy using just fabric, then you will need to use a stiffener on the inside of the fabric. You could use almost anything, from a piece of thin, stiff plastic (craft foam?) to 'proper' iron-on stiffener. There are different 'strengths' available at fabric shops. Don't use cardboard, as it will be a mess if you ever wash the jacket. Cut the stiffener so that it does not get folded. A couple of stitches in it will ensure it doesn't slip.

You could also try stiffening the existing (trimmed) collar with waterproof glue, then sew the velvet over it (as per above). Something not super hard (or it might crack!) but a bit flexible. You could even try paint - that would stiffen it up without being too stiff. Also cheaper. Paint it on and stick the two collar pieces together with the paint. Allow it to dry sitting as flat as you can get it. (Rest the painted collar on baking paper so it doesn't stick to anything.)

I hope I have explained it well enough - with more than 40 years of sewing experience I can see how to do it clearly in my head - just hope you can see it clearly in yours!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #715 on: July 01, 2017, 05:04:05 pm »

Thank you for the tips! There is a bit of extra room around the collar because the opening is large. With a double side of velvet it should be sufficient to keep it stiff. That would be 2 layers of stretch cotton twill plus two layers of velvet.

I just finished attaching all the copper buttons on the jacket, and what a difference it makes! It went from a ho-hum dullish jacket from a discount mart to a "wear me tonight" kind of jacket  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:07:19 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #716 on: July 02, 2017, 05:31:13 am »

I am really looking forward to the finished product!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #717 on: July 02, 2017, 06:09:38 am »

Yeah. Minor defects I'll have to live with, but overall very wearable even right now, the jacket looks more expensive than when I started  Grin  It's basically a double breasted coat with a zig-zag pattern when open and a single-row breasted coat when closed. I can't wait to get my hands on realistic shoulder board insignia...

This is what I'm aiming for - with corrected colour for the penny buttons and black velvet for General Officers collar and cuffs (the photoshop image is short one button from the real thing, and doesn't show a row of 3 buttons on each cuff):

I'm satisfied in that first simple step. It was a bit more convoluted than I thought though, but it looks good. I was afraid the penny button covers would not hold in the wash, but I knew the buttons proper were very strong. Because of a small epoxy spill issue, I had to spot clean one of the pockets with paint thinner and wash the garment again. All the epoxied button covers held fast in the washer. I thought I would need to solder tiny screws into the penny covers to screw them into the existing buttons, but the epoxy is very strong. The soldered wire loops on the other buttons are extremely strong, so no worries there; its more likely the cloth will be ripped than the button fall off. Roughly half the buttons are just penny covers and the other half are full penny buttons - once mounted you can't tell the difference.

I won't be able to do anything this weekend though. I have to pay my rent and being a part time worker I lose my pay for July 4th and two hours on Monday. No paycheck until Wednesday, so basically I have $30 left until Thursday  Undecided Barely enough for food.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:31:07 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #718 on: July 02, 2017, 03:56:01 pm »

I'm having other people sew things for me, does that count?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #719 on: July 02, 2017, 05:50:29 pm »

For a *hidden*cut edge and if you don't mind hard scratchy edges, a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate will stop runs in satin type fabric... The superglue will change the colour of the fabric and make the edge sharp to the skin, but it will stop fraying at the edge. I learned this from my cheap Cheongsam /Quipao shirt which sadly spends most of it's time in the closet, precisely because the synthetic fabric is extremely easy to fray and run as I imagine the fires whichever synthetic polymer they're made of, are even more slippery than Teflon.

~ ~ ~

Has anyone ever sewn a Mandarin style collar? I'm having to stitch some velvet over an existing (and very floppy structureless) cotton twill lapelled collar which I will trim and cover with said velvet...

I usually use the proper fray check liquid, which has the advantage of drying soft, but the sheer length of edges that needed doing would have taken so long that I went for overstitching on the machine as the faster option.  (I think there was about 25 metres of 'edge' altogether).

As for the mandarin collar, I'd include a layer of interfacing as the velvet might not be stiff enough and if it's too heavy then the weight of it may just pull the collar down rather than hold it up, particularly if there's not much structure in the fabric you're sewing onto.  Your uniform is certainly coming along splendidly.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #720 on: July 02, 2017, 10:32:28 pm »

For a *hidden*cut edge and if you don't mind hard scratchy edges, a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate will stop runs in satin type fabric... The superglue will change the colour of the fabric and make the edge sharp to the skin, but it will stop fraying at the edge.

*snip*

~ ~ ~

I usually use the proper fray check liquid, which has the advantage of drying soft, but the sheer length of edges that needed doing would have taken so long that I went for overstitching on the machine as the faster option.  (I think there was about 25 metres of 'edge' altogether).

As for the mandarin collar, I'd include a layer of interfacing as the velvet might not be stiff enough and if it's too heavy then the weight of it may just pull the collar down rather than hold it up, particularly if there's not much structure in the fabric you're sewing onto.  Your uniform is certainly coming along splendidly.

25 metres of edge is quite a bit to do...

Thank you! Im happy how quickly the jacket coming together Grin it's quite a uniform already with alternative shorts + leggins /kilt /over-pants, the white pleated blouse and neck tie, real Lederhosen harness with shield, boots, fatigue blouse, and wool cape overcoat  Grin all the layers you need for any climate and any occasion. I even have a navy blue umbrella! It's great to know that regardless of weather I can be in full character.  Grin

Yeah, on the collar stiffener, I'm thinking that may be true. Because this is stretch cotton twill as opposed to true denim, there is no stiffness to it. I need to look at the velvet, but that is likely to be floppy too.

One way to stiffen the fabric is to sew rows of stitches, like it is done on the visors of baseball caps (the ones that don't have the plastic stiffener), or cotton bucket caps.

I'm having other people sew things for me, does that count?

Given my lack of skills, I'd say that's is always a valid option.

You just reminded me of an idea I had. I'm having a hard time finding affordable shoulder board insignia. Reproduction shoulder boards vary in cost depending on rank. US Civil War Era reproductions of Lt. General boards run in the $20-30 range depending on where you buy (typically eBay)

I'm thinking it could be easy enough to commission a pair of custom patches from an embroidery service such as those people who embroider t-shirts with company logos. I see those all the time. The employee buys a regular Oxford shirt, and a third party service embroiders the company logo on the shirt.

Perhaps they could do the collar as well. I wonder if those leaf branches could be embroidered as well. That alone would lend stiffness to the collar.

Everything is done by computer nowadays; it should be possible depending on the software used I just don't know how expensive it'd be.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:44:05 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #721 on: July 02, 2017, 10:54:35 pm »

Yeah. Minor defects I'll have to live with, but overall very wearable even right now, the jacket looks more expensive than when I started  Grin  It's basically a double breasted coat with a zig-zag pattern when open and a single-row breasted coat when closed. I can't wait to get my hands on realistic shoulder board insignia...

This is what I'm aiming for - with corrected colour for the penny buttons and black velvet for General Officers collar and cuffs (the photoshop image is short one button from the real thing, and doesn't show a row of 3 buttons on each cuff):

I'm satisfied in that first simple step. It was a bit more convoluted than I thought though, but it looks good. I was afraid the penny button covers would not hold in the wash, but I knew the buttons proper were very strong. Because of a small epoxy spill issue, I had to spot clean one of the pockets with paint thinner and wash the garment again. All the epoxied button covers held fast in the washer. I thought I would need to solder tiny screws into the penny covers to screw them into the existing buttons, but the epoxy is very strong. The soldered wire loops on the other buttons are extremely strong, so no worries there; its more likely the cloth will be ripped than the button fall off. Roughly half the buttons are just penny covers and the other half are full penny buttons - once mounted you can't tell the difference.

(snip)

That is coming along so nicely, and the use of coins is a a stroke of genius.

(snip)

I won't be able to do anything this weekend though. I have to pay my rent and being a part time worker I lose my pay for July 4th and two hours on Monday. No paycheck until Wednesday, so basically I have $30 left until Thursday  Undecided Barely enough for food.

Ouch! Are then any celebrations that provide free food? I'd be tempted to go along and fill my pockets...

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #722 on: July 02, 2017, 10:58:44 pm »

~ ~ ~

I usually use the proper fray check liquid, which has the advantage of drying soft, but the sheer length of edges that needed doing would have taken so long that I went for overstitching on the machine as the faster option.  (I think there was about 25 metres of 'edge' altogether).

As for the mandarin collar, I'd include a layer of interfacing as the velvet might not be stiff enough and if it's too heavy then the weight of it may just pull the collar down rather than hold it up, particularly if there's not much structure in the fabric you're sewing onto.  Your uniform is certainly coming along splendidly.

I was wondering about reinforcing the edge with ribbon, but at 25 metres that's a lot of ribbon. So how is the fight going? One consolation, once it is done I'm sure it will look stunning.

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #723 on: July 02, 2017, 11:25:43 pm »

in that case my friend is making me a nametag

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #724 on: July 02, 2017, 11:50:44 pm »

*snip*

This is what I'm aiming for *snip*

*snip*
Roughly half the buttons are just penny covers and the other half are full penny buttons - once mounted you can't tell the difference.

(snip)

That is coming along so nicely, and the use of coins is a a stroke of genius.

(snip)

I won't be able to do anything this weekend though. I have to pay my rent and being a part time worker I lose my pay for July 4th and two hours on Monday. No paycheck until Wednesday, so basically I have $30 left until Thursday  Undecided Barely enough for food.

Ouch! Are then any celebrations that provide free food? I'd be tempted to go along and fill my pockets...

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you. You use what you can find. It's a coin-cidence, and a real mint of an idea  Roll Eyes Grin

Tomorrow is not a holiday however, just Tuesday; I only get to leave work 2 hrs early on Monday, so tomorrow I just spend on water bottles and bus fare. But after today I already have less than $20 for Tuesday and Wednesday (!) - I get my paycheck after banking hours, so I really can't leave home at all and I'm eating beef hamburgers I have in the freezer for the next 3 days.... and I may have to walk 5 miles round trip in 40 C weather on Wednesday Undecided not complaining, I like hamburgers,  and I can easily walk that, but by Thursday I'm going to want to eat something else... It's terrible to be a part time worker. You get exploited to the max.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: