The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 05:36:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 39887 times)
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 11:56:09 pm »

I have finished my victorian bathing costume and here, very bravely, is a photo of the finished result!  (excuse the cow socks!)

I also have that pattern as my only bathing costume, but in blue and white with matching overknee sox. I didnt bother with the skirt though. I really like wearing it although in all honesty, i am not much of a one for actual swimming.

I'm not brave enough to wear it without the skirt! :-)  I usually wear a 1950's style swimsuit for actual swimming although, somewhat ironically, I'm going to have to purchase a more basic bathing costume to wear under this if planning to get it wet, as my '50's one is a tad too bulky as under-attire.

Having picked a nice blue and white stripey material it wasnt until I actually wore it that I realised how tansparent it would be wet so I wear a wee teeshirt vest thing underneath.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8946321@N07/4987809089/
This was me wearing it for the first time, at Asylum 2010. I have the nice long sox now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:25:58 pm by greensteam » Logged

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 12:08:26 am »

greensteam, at least it wasn't wool and sagged around your knees!
i'm still trying to find a good fabric for one.

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Elycium
Officer
United States United States

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 06:23:48 pm »

I have finished my victorian bathing costume and here, very bravely, is a photo of the finished result!  (excuse the cow socks!)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As ludicrous as expected.  Smiley

That is a fantastic bathing costume. I love the stripes.

I'm currently working on an over-bust corset and some "pageboy" styled pants, among finally finishing a butterfly train.

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 11:12:22 pm »

greensteam, at least it wasn't wool and sagged around your knees!
i'm still trying to find a good fabric for one.
Miss G: you are so right. I remember bitterly the ghastly blue wool bathers we had to wear for school swimming: itchy, saggy and with that uniquely sheepy smell of wet wool. Not so much sagging at the knees as around the armholes - serious humiliation for preteen girls.
Elycium
Officer

Elycium
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 11:34:38 pm »

I was busy today. It just needs the busk, boning, and lining. I'm thinking of pairing it with an orange shrug, a combination that a friend of mine adores.

vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:32 am »

I have finished my victorian bathing costume and here, very bravely, is a photo of the finished result!  (excuse the cow socks!)

I also have that pattern as my only bathing costume, but in blue and white with matching overknee sox. I didnt bother with the skirt though. I really like wearing it although in all honesty, i am not much of a one for actual swimming.

I'm not brave enough to wear it without the skirt! :-)  I usually wear a 1950's style swimsuit for actual swimming although, somewhat ironically, I'm going to have to purchase a more basic bathing costume to wear under this if planning to get it wet, as my '50's one is a tad too bulky as under-attire.

Having picked a nice blue and white stripey material it wasnt until I actually wore it that I realised how tansparent it would be wet so I wear a wee teeshirt vest thing underneath.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8946321@N07/4987809089/
This was me wearing it for the first time, at Asylum 2010. I have the nice long sox now.

That looks great!  I did decide not to use white striped fabric because of the see-through factor! :-)  However rob's getting a male swimsuit made for him and he's gone for black and white striped jersey fabric (I'm not making that one as I hate working with stretch fabrics, so have "commissioned" a friend to make it as a christmas present).  I guess we'll both need to test out our swimsuits in water before wearing them out in public! Smiley
Miss Gadget
Deck Hand

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 03:07:57 am »

I realised yesterday that I have nothing suitable to wear to the upcoming Nottingham Pride Christmas Ball and after a brief panic decided it was an excellent excuse to make my steampunk gear much more formal. With this in mind I went in search of a bustle skirt pattern and found the following: http://blog.fabric.com/2010/10/the_costume_trunk_the_incredib.html

So far it has worked out well putting the basic skirt together (apart from the late realisation I'm considerably taller than the blog writer and should have made the rear panel longer than 2 yards) and tomorrow I'll be putting the pleats in the waist and seeing how it falls after that.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried using this pattern or has any advice concerning bustles?

Piece by piece, snip by snip, croup, dock, haunch, shoulders, hip,
Tread by thread, primmed and pressed, yard by yard, never stressed,
And that's the Art of the Dress!
Semper Victoria
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Pianist

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:49 am »

I was busy today. It just needs the busk, boning, and lining. I'm thinking of pairing it with an orange shrug, a combination that a friend of mine adores.

That is exquisite! But an orange and blue combination will suggest the unsavory implication that you are a Gators fan. Heaven forbid! ;-)
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 02:23:44 pm »

Lets get this party going! I'm working on my first corset, and instead of using one of the multisize commercial patterns, I'm using an unpublished pattern from the 1890s. It's interesting, because it was never published-- it's out of a corset house's pattern book. One size only, hardly any markings. I've got a suggested flossing pattern and boning placement, but that's it-- no grainline, no scale, no waistline. Cheesy There will be many mockups, I think.

I've got a halfsize paper version at the moment.

how on gods green earth did you get your hands on a corset house's pattern book ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??
i'm astounded.

It's held in the archives at the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland. They have the Symington Company's pattern book and some of the company's other records in their collection.

A lovely lady named Cathy Hay visited the archive and arranged to take some photos. I pulled the pattern from one of those photos. She has a bit of a write-up on it here.

Holy crap that's awesome!!

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Elycium
Officer

Elycium
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »

That is exquisite! But an orange and blue combination will suggest the unsavory implication that you are a Gators fan. Heaven forbid! ;-)

Thank you. Smiley And now this is probably going to sound hilarious but... what sport do the Gators play? /serious question/

edit because I don't want to double post:  I accomplished a little bit of Turkey-day sewing. Not quite all the way finished, and I need to put a different petti underneath for better shape (the one under was a cheap one that's mostly flattened out).  This is the underskirt for a Steam-lolita outfit.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:04:55 pm by Elycium » Logged
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »

Lets get this party going! I'm working on my first corset, and instead of using one of the multisize commercial patterns, I'm using an unpublished pattern from the 1890s. It's interesting, because it was never published-- it's out of a corset house's pattern book. One size only, hardly any markings. I've got a suggested flossing pattern and boning placement, but that's it-- no grainline, no scale, no waistline. Cheesy There will be many mockups, I think.

I've got a halfsize paper version at the moment.

how on gods green earth did you get your hands on a corset house's pattern book ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??
i'm astounded.

It's held in the archives at the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland. They have the Symington Company's pattern book and some of the company's other records in their collection.

A lovely lady named Cathy Hay visited the archive and arranged to take some photos. I pulled the pattern from one of those photos. She has a bit of a write-up on it here.

Holy crap that's awesome!!

I know, right?! I'll be keeping you all posted...

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 01:52:13 am »

Damn. I was actually looking at fabric nigh on identical to that on ebay yesterday- in order to make a steam/Lolita skirt! Great minds think alike? Maybe I should drop the idea now though- I'm not as an accomplished seamstress as you clearly are.

I did a little sewing today- brought a little dark blue shrug cardigan from the charity shop and added velvet ribbon with lace trim around the edges. I think it looks pretty good- now I just have to get up the courage to wear it (I'm not good with non black/black and grey outfits!) I'll post pictures tomorrow if I can find my camera.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:54:10 am by Flightless Phoenix » Logged

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2011, 11:06:47 pm »

Trying to convert TV's asymmetrical overskirt add- on to a stand alone skirt that can be worn over any underskirt and not be attached to the 4 gore. Making it out of a deep blue microsuede. Then the plan is to make a matching bodice from the vested basque and trimming everything out in a latte colored lace with embroidered flowers.
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2011, 07:22:55 am »

I was commissioned to make this item:

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Elycium
Officer

Elycium
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 04:48:30 am »

I was commissioned to make this item:

oh my goodness, Wilhelmina, that's awesome. Did you make the entire mask as well as the hat? <3

I'm making a practice version of this so that I can attempt the "actual" (aka as close as possible) thing.  Also a TV butterfly train (non-related XD)
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 08:18:36 am »

No, no just the hat Smiley
Elycium
Officer

Elycium
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 03:21:19 pm »

No, no just the hat Smiley

<3 Still awesome. And it does give me an idea for my hat. Our sewing group is doing a christmas party, and we're all supposed to make santa hats that correspond to our interests/hobbies/personalities, and I was at a loss. But seeing this, I'm inspired and have a few new ideas to play with. <3
Ilia Arie
Gunner

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 03:28:56 pm »

I am working on a charcoal grey knee length ruffled skirt.   I am still new at sewing but I am very excited about how it is coming out  Grin

This will be for my first steampunk outfit.  It is going to be a bit steamLolita.  All I need now is to find accessories and decorate a mini top hat!
Anna Katarina
Gunner

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 11:43:56 pm »

I am working on a charcoal grey knee length ruffled skirt.   I am still new at sewing but I am very excited about how it is coming out  Grin

This will be for my first steampunk outfit.  It is going to be a bit steamLolita.  All I need now is to find accessories and decorate a mini top hat!

Wonderful!  Best of luck to you!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 12:47:36 am »

I'm making cross-stitch christmas cards and little felt stockings for all my friends.

Maybe alfter Christmas I'll have time to finish my clothing projects.

Charcoal grey ruffled skirt sounds awesome, hope it's coming together nicely.
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:44 am »

I'm making yet another corset! lol So original, right?  It's a buttery gold colour, 1800's pattern.  Will post photos when done.  Hopefully tonight.

Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »

I asked for a lot of patterns for Christmas so I'm waiting to see what I receive before I start anything. Amazingly I only have one uncompleted outfit right now and it is very springy so I have zero motivation to work on it
Elycium
Officer

Elycium
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2011, 02:35:02 am »

I asked for a lot of patterns for Christmas so I'm waiting to see what I receive before I start anything. Amazingly I only have one uncompleted outfit right now and it is very springy so I have zero motivation to work on it

I'm in the same boat you are.  I also have an unfinished outfit that I -could- work on, but since I need to do the fitting for the bodice, and I haven't had the chance to corner my friend and blindfold her (the outfit is her birthday gift) to do said fitting, I'm really at a stand still.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2011, 02:44:19 am »

I've just started a winter waistcoat as a pleasant diversion from the blasted challenging but rewarding morning suit.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Ilia Arie
Gunner

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2011, 05:01:51 am »

Skirt complete  Cheesy 

On to finishing the outfit - this will probably be an after the New Year project.  On that note, Merry Christmas everyone!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: