The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:47:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 39916 times)
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« on: November 15, 2011, 05:12:11 am »

The old thread has got a bit full. Here's a shiny new one!

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:02:31 am »

Isn't it customary under these circumstances to post a link to the old, retired thread?

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:02:53 pm »

Thank you very much Captain. I'm running off my iPod for a while so I find it a bit more difficult to carry out such things. Again, thank you.
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:13:38 am »

Lets get this party going! I'm working on my first corset, and instead of using one of the multisize commercial patterns, I'm using an unpublished pattern from the 1890s. It's interesting, because it was never published-- it's out of a corset house's pattern book. One size only, hardly any markings. I've got a suggested flossing pattern and boning placement, but that's it-- no grainline, no scale, no waistline. Cheesy There will be many mockups, I think.

I've got a halfsize paper version at the moment.

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Semper Victoria
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Pianist

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:50:31 am »

Quite an undertaking there, Mistress Magpie! I like the shape of the pattern, and will be interested to see the forthcoming results.

Polaris, I loved your striped dress from the last thread! It is a true work of art, well done; makes me want to put together a black-and-white striped outfit myself.
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 02:00:34 pm »

Happy sewing MK II.

After commissioning a fab fur Pill Box hat and Muff from Dragonswann I really must get the rest of the outfit done in time for all the Christmas markets we are going to try and attend.

Outfit will be based on Truly Victorian patterns with a bit of modding. Made in some nice brown wool with a velvet stripe and silk. Lets hope the picture in my head is as good as the finished outfit. You will will be the judges. Oh and I have some fab new boots as well. so no excuses now.

L.E.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 02:48:54 pm »

I have finished my victorian bathing costume and here, very bravely, is a photo of the finished result!  (excuse the cow socks!)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As ludicrous as expected.  Smiley

Now gathering supplies to make my outfit for next February's Gala Nocturna ball in Antwerp.  The theme for this is "Russian Fairytale" but I'd already had a plan in mind to make the Truly Victorian Parisian Trained skirt, adorned with real beetlewings.  I think I can work round this theme to suit my plan if I add enough adornment!  Smiley  Now getting postal deliveries every day of fabric,  soutache braid, beads, sequins, more beetlewings (just in case!) and can't wait to get started on it!
Think I'm going to be a busy girl over Christmas!
dimus
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

I am about to start sewing leather for the first time for use in various projects. I'm just waiting on my sewing kit to arrive from the AetherBay (overstich wheels, awl, groover, thread needles etc.).

Have already got various bits of leather together and have been busy reading numerous tutorials and watching countless videos on the subject. I think I now fully understand the techniques involved and just have to put them into practice (easier said than done).

I'm planing on making a few pairs of goggles, an aviator style cap and straps for a steam powered jet pack. Along with anything else I can think of such as gloves.

I've also got a big sheet of brass so am going to learn metal cutting and brazing too. Nothing like throwing oneself into the deep end to fire creativity.

If it ain't broke then use it until it is.
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:02:07 pm »

Lets get this party going! I'm working on my first corset, and instead of using one of the multisize commercial patterns, I'm using an unpublished pattern from the 1890s. It's interesting, because it was never published-- it's out of a corset house's pattern book. One size only, hardly any markings. I've got a suggested flossing pattern and boning placement, but that's it-- no grainline, no scale, no waistline. Cheesy There will be many mockups, I think.

how on gods green earth did you get your hands on a corset house's pattern book ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??
i'm astounded.

Am still sewing big knickers (bloomers) along with bow ties and bustles...

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »

how on gods green earth did you get your hands on a corset house's pattern book ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??
i'm astounded.

It's held in the archives at the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland. They have the Symington Company's pattern book and some of the company's other records in their collection.

A lovely lady named Cathy Hay visited the archive and arranged to take some photos. I pulled the pattern from one of those photos. She has a bit of a write-up on it here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:01:01 am by MistressMagpie » Logged
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:51:18 am »

I have finished my victorian bathing costume and here, very bravely, is a photo of the finished result!  (excuse the cow socks!)

I also have that pattern as my only bathing costume, but in blue and white with matching overknee sox. I didnt bother with the skirt though. I really like wearing it although in all honesty, i am not much of a one for actual swimming.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:57:40 am »

I also have that pattern as my only bathing costume, but in blue and white with matching overknee sox. I didnt bother with the skirt though. I really like wearing it although in all honesty, i am not much of a one for actual swimming.

I'm not brave enough to wear it without the skirt! :-)  I usually wear a 1950's style swimsuit for actual swimming although, somewhat ironically, I'm going to have to purchase a more basic bathing costume to wear under this if planning to get it wet, as my '50's one is a tad too bulky as under-attire.
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 11:46:37 am »

mistress magpie: What a gem!!!
it's astounding really that these things survive, i shall be reading with anticipation!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 11:59:23 am »

Aly..that's a great swimsuit. Sadly The Countess and I won't be partaking of the swimming at the New Year Party.

I'd already had a plan in mind to make the Truly Victorian Parisian Trained skirt, adorned with real beetlewings.

It's clearly too early..I read that as "Truly Victorian Parisian Trained skirt, adorned with real beatlewigs"  Roll Eyes

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 12:32:46 pm »

it's astounding really that these things survive, i shall be reading with anticipation!

I know! It's a beautiful pattern, too-- I haven't even started drafting properly yet, but the more I work with this pattern the more I love it.

On a tip, I've made another halfsize mock-up in paper. I'm trying to pin down where the waistline is, since the shape of the forward 3 panels makes it somewhat ambiguous when flat. With some finagling with a bit of string, I've decided it's about like this:
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 01:07:43 pm »

Aly..that's a great swimsuit. Sadly The Countess and I won't be partaking of the swimming at the New Year Party.

I'd already had a plan in mind to make the Truly Victorian Parisian Trained skirt, adorned with real beetlewings.

It's clearly too early..I read that as "Truly Victorian Parisian Trained skirt, adorned with real beatlewigs"  Roll Eyes

Well I guess they could be considered as wigs for beetles! ;-)

New Year Party - the pool party is one of the main reasons for us going! :-)  Rob's getting a male onepiece swimsuit for his christmas present, I shudder to think what scary a sight that will be!
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 03:09:37 pm »

MistressMagpie - agree, or a tiny bit lower, but considering the look of the ear i'd say we would both be right XD Wink

vampyresheep - pictures or it never happens!?!?!?!?!?! XD am loving it
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »

I know! It's a beautiful pattern, too-- I haven't even started drafting properly yet, but the more I work with this pattern the more I love it.

On a tip, I've made another halfsize mock-up in paper. I'm trying to pin down where the waistline is, since the shape of the forward 3 panels makes it somewhat ambiguous when flat. With some finagling with a bit of string, I've decided it's about like this:

Impressed how even your mock-ups look so beautiful; can't wait to see further progress on this!  I keep meaning to attempt to make a victorian corset; had a mostly successful stab at making an Elizabethan one last year but the additional curves and measurements required for a Victorian one scares me slightly!
Sgt.Whatshisname
Zeppelin Captain

Fightin' 4th Irish Brigade

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 05:43:58 am »

well ...here goes    Shocked

I'm taking a shot at one of these.

A Berdan's Sharpshooters frock coat.

My wife made the patterns for me and I start cutting in a few.

i feel like a first year med student about to operate....alone Undecided

wish me luck
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:11:51 am by Siliconous Skumins » Logged

We love the land of Liberty, It's laws we will revere
but the devil take the nobility, says the Irish Volunteers!
Sgt.Whatshisname
Zeppelin Captain

Fightin' 4th Irish Brigade

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:57 am »

dbl post sorry
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 06:10:54 am »

Impressed how even your mock-ups look so beautiful; can't wait to see further progress on this!  I keep meaning to attempt to make a victorian corset; had a mostly successful stab at making an Elizabethan one last year but the additional curves and measurements required for a Victorian one scares me slightly!

A good pattern, patience, and the tiniest pieces of tape. Smiley If you want to make a corset, there's a really excellent LiveJournal community and an article over at Foundations Revealed that should tell you everything you need to know. Smiley As far as the measurements, having a spare pare of hands around to help is a HUGE help.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 09:54:59 am »

Impressed how even your mock-ups look so beautiful; can't wait to see further progress on this!  I keep meaning to attempt to make a victorian corset; had a mostly successful stab at making an Elizabethan one last year but the additional curves and measurements required for a Victorian one scares me slightly!

A good pattern, patience, and the tiniest pieces of tape. Smiley If you want to make a corset, there's a really excellent LiveJournal community and an article over at Foundations Revealed that should tell you everything you need to know. Smiley As far as the measurements, having a spare pare of hands around to help is a HUGE help.

Yes, I am on that LJ comm and keep getting inspired by the wonderful creations posted on there.  One day, I will be brave enough to give it a go!  Smiley
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 10:50:39 am »

Impressed how even your mock-ups look so beautiful; can't wait to see further progress on this!  I keep meaning to attempt to make a victorian corset; had a mostly successful stab at making an Elizabethan one last year but the additional curves and measurements required for a Victorian one scares me slightly!

Yes, I am on that LJ comm and keep getting inspired by the wonderful creations posted on there.  One day, I will be brave enough to give it a go!  Smiley

You could start off with a plastic-boned waspie. Minimum materials investment, but you'd still get to use most of the techniques you'd need for a full corset without the tricky measurements. Smiley
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 12:03:04 pm »

You could start off with a plastic-boned waspie. Minimum materials investment, but you'd still get to use most of the techniques you'd need for a full corset without the tricky measurements. Smiley

Ah yes, I nearly forgot!  i have made the Truly Victorian corselette.  That came out quite well because I didn't have bust or hip measurements to worry about!  Smiley  I did attempt a commercial company's "corset" pattern a few years back, that was a plastic boned one and the bust measurement came out so humungous that its still sitting in my fabric box waiting to be rescued.  Sad
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 01:54:58 pm »

Ah yes, I nearly forgot!  i have made the Truly Victorian corselette.  That came out quite well because I didn't have bust or hip measurements to worry about!  Smiley  I did attempt a commercial company's "corset" pattern a few years back, that was a plastic boned one and the bust measurement came out so humungous that its still sitting in my fabric box waiting to be rescued.  Sad

Secondhand, non-stretch jeans are great for mockups. The 'Mom jean' type, or mes work pants-- tightly woven, heavy cloth with no stretch materials blended in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: