The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:35:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting the face of a pocket watch?  (Read 1306 times)
Strapped-4-Cache
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Oooo! Shiny!

« on: November 04, 2011, 01:36:54 pm »

All,

I recently purchased a Westclox "Scotty" to us as a daily watch until I can get some of my other, more valuable, watches serviced ad brought back into use.

The watch runs and keeps time well, though I admit that the ticking from this one is louder than any other pocketwatch I've owned.

The stock dial is extremely utilitarian - bold numbers and thick hands make the time easy to read.  Let's face it - the watch sold for $3 - $4, so beauty wasn't high on the list of priorties for this model.  I don't see myself investing anything to make the case more attractive, even if that were possible, but I began to wonder if the watch face could be painted to give it a bit more appeal.  I don't mind the numbers, but the empty white spaace in the center would benefit from some beautification.

Has anyone had this done before, or dealt with someon who could do it?  I am unwilling to attempt removing the movement from the case, but would be happy to send the whole watch to someone for a facelift if they are capable of doing so.

Thanks,

- Mark
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:02:24 pm »

You have only two problems to solve. You need to find out what material the face is made of so you can select an appropriate paint, and whoever does the actual painting will have to work small, even a big watch face isn't a lot of paintable surface. This sort of thing was done quite a lot in Victorian times.

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: