The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 02:41:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James' non-SP model building thread  (Read 108687 times)
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1750 on: November 30, 2017, 05:57:03 pm »

Actually, I could buy a 1/700 Derfflinger or Lutzow.  (Flyhawk do both of those).  But no Hindenburg

Scratchbuild the tripod mast, etc!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1751 on: November 30, 2017, 06:37:55 pm »

Actually, I could buy a 1/700 Derfflinger or Lutzow.  (Flyhawk do both of those).  But no Hindenburg

Scratchbuild the tripod mast, etc!

The bigger problem is it's waterline only (so no rudders or propellors).  Which is a deal breaker for me, sorry to say. 

So I went and bought an ICM Grosser Kurfurst instead. 

Now I really must get on and build that Queen Elizabeth....

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #1752 on: December 02, 2017, 05:57:19 pm »

Well work is progressing on Trelawney. My weathered Mink has gained a leaky roof and the Tarpaulin wagon has been covered.

I've also decided to throw my hat into the ring of the diorama competition James mentioned a few pages back and have made a start on one entry, and am preparing for a second.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1753 on: December 03, 2017, 03:08:38 pm »

The wagons look good.
Please also show the build pics of the diorama.

Cannot show anything right now.
I´m on a business trip in China right now.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1754 on: December 03, 2017, 07:15:35 pm »

The wagons look good.
Please also show the build pics of the diorama.

Well who am I to deprive you good people of my work?

This picture shows my original idea in mock up form, after a bit of work putting things together. I was planning on creating a grimy, dirty industrial scene with a little shunting engine and a coal wagon being sat on a parallel track emptied into a set of staithes and an associated office next to them. However, having looked at the placement of things I've decided to split the idea into two. I'll keep the industrial scene with the retaining wall as a backdrop, but will swap the coal wagon for a shunting scene, and have plans to use the wagon and staithes in another diorama showing a shed yard.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1755 on: December 04, 2017, 03:12:39 pm »

That looks rather good- more progress than on mine at the moment!- which is still at the bare board stage.  (Track cutters have arrived though so hopefully the next step will be cutting and laying some track, then onto seeing what the levels are like and finishing the loading dock).

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1756 on: December 04, 2017, 06:21:00 pm »

That looks rather good- more progress than on mine at the moment!- which is still at the bare board stage.  (Track cutters have arrived though so hopefully the next step will be cutting and laying some track, then onto seeing what the levels are like and finishing the loading dock).

Thanks very much. I've got a thread on the relevant forum now, and for Trelawney as well, I'll try and remember to share progress on my other diorama when I start it, but whether that stays a separate job, or one I work on in tandem with this remains to be seen.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1757 on: December 05, 2017, 03:38:24 am »

Maybe you can do it like the legendary "time-saver".
Several diramas that can be put next to each other to make up a bigger one.
Not an easy job. The colours/materiels have to match perfectly to make them seem one piece.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1758 on: December 05, 2017, 08:39:44 am »

Maybe you can do it like the legendary "time-saver".
Several diramas that can be put next to each other to make up a bigger one.
Not an easy job. The colours/materiels have to match perfectly to make them seem one piece.

A few people on the forum seem to have had the same idea, but I think I'd like to keep these two separate for the time being.

Maybe if I get any other ideas I might try and incorporate one or more into a continuous run, but for the moment I'm approaching both as backdrops for photography purposes.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1759 on: December 05, 2017, 06:43:27 pm »

Now, if you can believe it, I have rails fixed to a board..... for the first time ever. 

This is DCC Concepts bullhead track which has been glued to a balsawood plank using UHU glue.  Using a pair of proper track cutters is a necessity for DCCC track, as it's built out of stainless steel (Hornby, Peco and the like tend to go for softer nickel-based track which is easier to cut). 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1760 on: December 05, 2017, 06:53:58 pm »

Right, shall we go for 'in other news'?

The cattle wagon has progressed somewhat- some of you will have seen the latest work at the Christmas party in Worcester this weekend just gone.  The roof has been fitted and painted, buffers and brakes painted and fitted, I am now looking to my original proving model to experiment further with for weathering.  There are, to my mind, three ways of potentially modelling the limewash (paint, tipex or chalk) so I'll be painting up a panel in each to see which is the most effective.  The 'proper' model of course will first need the final touches of paint and the transfers before I get that far. 

Once I have built that cattle wagon, I will be making a concerted effort to get a model ship or two finished.  A reminder; a 1/350 Elswick cruiser stalled some years ago and I'm not sure I'll ever finish it as the enthusiasm and spark has utterly extinguished.  At the same time I have a 1/600 RMS Mauretania and a 1/700 HMS Queeen Elizabeth to build.  Arriving soon (in less than three weeks now!) will be a 1/350 HMS Lord Nelson and a 1/700 SMS Grosser Kurfurst. 

And of course after that I still have a huge list of projects to build.  I've not made much of a dent in the to-do list this year; everytime I finish something, something else arrives....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1761 on: December 05, 2017, 08:05:34 pm »

One nearly-finished cattle wagon....

.... and one rather beat-up old wagon.  I've used tipex on this side for limewash.  Hmm, not quite right I think. 

Whereas on the other side of the same wagon I've used matt white paint.  Which is better, I think. 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1762 on: December 06, 2017, 06:40:32 pm »

One nearly-finished cattle wagon....

.... and one rather beat-up old wagon.  I've used tipex on this side for limewash.  Hmm, not quite right I think. 

Whereas on the other side of the same wagon I've used matt white paint.  Which is better, I think. 

I concur. The 'spatter' of the paint looks more natural and is more suggestive of someone having quickly whipped a brush along the side of it rather than an actual part of the livery (albeit badly applied).
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1763 on: December 06, 2017, 07:10:52 pm »

The only photograph I've got at the moment of limewashed cattle vans, it's quite a nice uniform application to the lower three or four planks.  It is quite obviously though not part of the livery, as it seems to have a texture to it- or the contrast between almost brilliant white and murky grey brings up the surface texture of the timber.  I certainly feel that the right way to go about it would be to use paint. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1764 on: December 06, 2017, 09:41:30 pm »

Work achieved this evening;

- The cattle wagon now has transfers and has been varnished.  Once dry tomorrow I can think about the whitewash effect and then... finished!
- Because that only took a short while, I was able to start my next project.  HMS Queen Elizabeth in her 1918 fit. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1765 on: December 06, 2017, 10:57:08 pm »

And of course after that I still have a huge list of projects to build.  I've not made much of a dent in the to-do list this year; everytime I finish something, something else arrives....

James, this happens because you keep buying as you keep making - "Perpetual Modeller Disorder" or PMD - it's incurable, I'm afraid!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:58:46 pm by Banfili » Logged
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1766 on: December 07, 2017, 04:34:18 pm »

The only photograph I've got at the moment of limewashed cattle vans, it's quite a nice uniform application to the lower three or four planks.  It is quite obviously though not part of the livery, as it seems to have a texture to it- or the contrast between almost brilliant white and murky grey brings up the surface texture of the timber.  I certainly feel that the right way to go about it would be to use paint. 

Several thin washes, perhaps?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1767 on: December 07, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »

The only photograph I've got at the moment of limewashed cattle vans, it's quite a nice uniform application to the lower three or four planks.  It is quite obviously though not part of the livery, as it seems to have a texture to it- or the contrast between almost brilliant white and murky grey brings up the surface texture of the timber.  I certainly feel that the right way to go about it would be to use paint.  

Several thin washes, perhaps?

Possibly; if I can control the brush well (and avoid the splatter effect) I should be able to get it on in one coat.  

Well, there's the cattle wagon, technically completed but in fact still waiting for limewash.  Which it shall be getting this evening.  

And then the new project, HMS Queen Elizabeth.  Work last night ran to building the hull, fitting the 6" casemate guns and adding the quarterdeck and foredeck.  Then I fitted the photo-etched overlays to the plastic blocks which will ultimately form the conning tower and bridge.  Next step will be to paint the hull (and probably many of the other little bits at the same time), so in overall appearance I reckon it will be a week or so before there's any meaningful change from how it looks right now (colour aside of course).  
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1768 on: December 09, 2017, 12:52:04 pm »

Well, that's the first one finished!  Of..... six....

I'm not completely convinced I've used the right size of lettering.  The only photograph I have of these wagons suggests that the lettering should in fact be a small 'G C R' on one plank about 2/3 of the way up the body.  Naturally I only noticed this after applying the lettering.... modeller's licence perhaps?  And the real thing disappeared nearly 100 years ago now so who's to say it is wrong?

Now onto Queen Elizabeth.  Having built the hull, I then painted all of the parts mid-grey.  This was a bigger task than it sounds as there are 200+ components.  That done, I then painted the decks teak and have started work on the superstructures. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1769 on: December 09, 2017, 07:23:04 pm »

Announcement time for the 2018 Build Programme!

Yes, it really is that time of year.  Again....

This year I think I have done quite well in getting projects off of the to-do pile and through the works.  There has been, for example, a rake of 4 and 6-wheeled carriages, a couple of clerestory types, one or two carriage kits in both plastic and cardboard and some good old-fashioned hackbashing.  About the only carriages I've added to the to-do list this year left it as soon as they joined it- a set of five 4-wheelers done just last month.  Moving on to wagons I've pretty much cleared my pile of kits, but then again replenished it.... no more open private owner wagons, now I've got cattle wagons to get on with, also some open LNWR wagons, an MR van, GC double bolster.... so perhaps I've done a little poorly in that department.  

Now locos I think I've done rather well.  Although I've only done a few (a couple of Victorian 4-4-0s, a pair of goods tank engines and a typical goods tender loco), at the same time I've been rather restrained in buying more to add to the list.  I think there are only two I've bought, both small tank engines.  

Some small progress on non-railway subjects; I've halved my 1914-1918 fighter aircraft stockpile (from two kits to one) and of course just recently begun a 1/700 HMS Queen Elizabeth.  Against that small progress has to be balanced the 1/350 HMS Lord Nelson and 1/700 SMS Grosser Kurfurst that will be arriving in a few weeks.  So overall if anything I think it has slipped back!

So, for 2018....

Priority number 1 has to be, of course, to complete Queen Elizabeth.  

Priority number 2 really should be the last of the cardboard carriage kits.  I know these have been awkward, building the previous three, but building the last one gets those out of the way once and for all.... and of course represents another project finished and another rake finished.  

Priority number 3 would be efforts to complete another larger project, the cattle wagons.  One down this year and five more to build.  Knowing how I struggled building three carriages in tandem I think it would make sense to split this up and do one or maybe two, go away for a change, come back later and do another....

And then beyond that the intention for the year is to really crack on with the to-do list, whittling it down.  The last of my World War One fighter aircraft would be a reasonably easy win, ditto the WWI tank.  If I look at only one more ship kit this year it deserves to be the RMS Mauretania, which has been sitting on the pile for at least four years now.  

Locomotives, you say?  The difficulty in that regard is judging which one has the most deserving case to be looked at first.  Mostly the to-do list there runs to heavy mineral and general goods engines and several tank and shunting locos, though I am reminded that there is also at least one express passenger engine on the list and a couple of mixed-traffic type too.  

If I can reduce that lot even by a third over the coming year I think I will have done well.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:31:10 pm by James Harrison » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1770 on: December 09, 2017, 09:39:05 pm »

P3.1:

boiler off again.

Splashers and cap trial-fitted:

Finally looking like a loco.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1771 on: December 09, 2017, 09:47:22 pm »

That looks very impressive. Why has the boiler had to be removed?-nothing serious I hope. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1772 on: December 10, 2017, 08:58:21 am »

No, It was just was easier to adapt splashers and cab to the running boards without the boiler being in the way.
As the cladding had not been fitted yet it had to come off anyway.
Will also add a dummy steam pump and functional pipes so when I get a "real" one it will be a matter of minutes to fit.
Can hardly wait to see the loco in paint (dreaded task) and with its tender in place.

Tender frame is in one piece now. Water space has received baffle plates and is ready for soldering.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:33:49 am by The Bullet » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1773 on: December 11, 2017, 07:55:08 pm »

Superstructure is built and fitted.  I'm not a great fan of the sub-assembly approach this kit takes, had I been following the instructions to the letter I would right now have a superstructure with the tripod mast built- and very vulnerable to being knocked about and broken, as once built it just sits around randomly in the box until almost the very end of the build.  Not ideal. 

Tonight's plan is to paint the lower hull.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1774 on: December 14, 2017, 08:19:09 pm »

Well, work has begun proper on my Cakebox diorama.

After a nose around my preferred 2nd hand dealer and obtaining some cheap and nasty things I've got some track fixed in place, though it needs to be cut down in order to meet the 8"x8" parameters of the competition rules.

I've also made a couple of additions to my loco stable. This is the first (the other is a Dapol former Airfix/Kitmaster pug I'm planning to kitbash):

The more observant of you will notice that its' a Margate 'neverwazz', and like many of its' ilk it's decidedly towards the toy end of the market. Obviously it's not going to stay like that, and I intend to reapply the livery as something a little more prototypical, and add a crew. But, as a cheap model it suits my purposes, and it might well see use on a future layout. But for something like this, I'd rather use a cheap and nasty model I don't care about and which won't be mourned by anyone in case I completely ruin it.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: