The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 02:36:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James' non-SP model building thread  (Read 106668 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1675 on: September 26, 2017, 05:58:50 pm »

Hi James,

thanks for the link. I contacted the seller. Very helpful chap. Two sets of brushes are on the way.

Glad to be of assistance. 

Carriage #3 now has transfers and varnish and has entered traffic (by which I mean, it has left the linear scrapyard bookshelf where my projects go to die live and has been put in a box with four other carriages and safely stored away). 

Carriage #4 has its seats built and painted and will later this evening undergo another stage of the teaking process and might even get part of its interior actually built...

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1676 on: October 01, 2017, 11:01:54 am »

Carriage #4 is now nearly finished; a little bit of final touching-in painting, transfers and varnish....

Whilst finishing the roof yesterday I brought out some Bachmann vans that I have had for a few years with the vague idea of converting them from 1930 LNER or 1950s BR condition to 1920s GC type.  It's only going to be a simple repaint job; the models are about right in the general appearance (sliding doors and vertical panelling) and although wrong in smaller details, well you're not really going to notice them i the overall appearance passes muster are you?

First job was to dismantle the wagons and replace the couplings.  Off came to tension lock type, on went some 3-links.  Then onto the bodywork.  Repaint from bauxite or red oxide into mid-grey. 

That is literally about it.... clean up the paint work and add 'GC' on the van sides and they'll be done. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1677 on: October 03, 2017, 06:01:20 pm »

Last carriage finished; mission accomplished.  No more carriages for a while!

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1678 on: October 09, 2017, 07:34:50 pm »

Three covered vans finished, two to go.  As I can do these one at a time quite easily, I may just leave it there a while. 

Just for a laugh I then put them back in their original packaging.  They look surprisingly right!  Please Mr Bachmann, do us some RTR GCR vans?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1679 on: October 09, 2017, 07:47:26 pm »

I said weeks ago one of my next projects would be something a bit more unusual. 

Some Edwardian delivery lorries.....

Now, you can't get a kit for an Edwardian delivery lorry, and if you go looking for information even knowing it was a Leyland something-or-other you don't find much at all. 

What you can buy however are kits for various WWI lorries, so I was able to locate one of the earliest war department standard types (a 3.5-ton WD standard design of 1914) and I'm now going to try to hackbash it into a railway-owned flatbed. 

Well, so far I've been working on the underside of the chassis.  This bit is built as-per the instructions. 

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1680 on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:02 am »

There's a challenge/ competition on another forum at the moment for building a layout or diorama that could fit in a cakebox (8" square plan x 6" high).  My entry (I have space for something that small!) is a tiny corner of a goods yard with an end loading dock, loading platform and crane.  The intention is to put my Mac B flat wagon and traction engine in the end loading dock and the lorry I am currently building on the platform waiting a load. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1681 on: October 11, 2017, 07:24:33 am »

New addition to the fleet:

Märklin GR66/12920:

They were made in four versions between 1933 and 1940, differing in cab, roof and smoke deflector size and style.

Very good condition considering her age. Only the boiler bands (thin painted lines) are hardly visible any more.
She runs fine and has a lot of power. The test train consisted of more than twenty four-wheeled tank wagons.
I wanted one of that type for a long time. Now she´s finally here.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1682 on: October 12, 2017, 10:18:50 am »

Oh I say!  Very, very nice.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1683 on: October 12, 2017, 01:31:52 pm »

Agreed. Beautiful! Grin
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1684 on: October 12, 2017, 07:55:19 pm »

Looking forward to Saturday.
Forecast promised good weather.
We will have a running day at a friend´s 5" gauge layout.
My prussian P3.1 is planned to go the first few metres under its own steam.
well....the most important parts.

At the moment, she looks like this:

And this is the goal:

We will test it like we did with the Super Claud many moons ago.
No tender, no cab, no running-boards, no boiler cladding,...just the essential parts.
If this test run is successful, we will go on with the build.

P3 and P3.1 were almost identical. The P3 was a two-cylinder compound and P3.1 was a two cylinder simple.
I did not dare to try and scale physics so I went for the P3.1.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:58:14 pm by The Bullet » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1685 on: October 13, 2017, 10:40:25 am »

Looking forward to Saturday.
Forecast promised good weather.
We will have a running day at a friend´s 5" gauge layout.
My prussian P3.1 is planned to go the first few metres under its own steam.
well....the most important parts.

At the moment, she looks like this:

And this is the goal:

We will test it like we did with the Super Claud many moons ago.
No tender, no cab, no running-boards, no boiler cladding,...just the essential parts.
If this test run is successful, we will go on with the build.

P3 and P3.1 were almost identical. The P3 was a two-cylinder compound and P3.1 was a two cylinder simple.
I did not dare to try and scale physics so I went for the P3.1.

Shocked

Sorry, just had to pick my jaw up.  That is a very fine-looking piece of model engineering. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1686 on: October 15, 2017, 09:26:34 am »

Success!

Yesterday we moved the most essential parts of the Prussian P3.1 outside.

After the track cleaning and maintenance train had passed we steamed her for the first time

The tender was borrowed from a far bigger loco as the P3.1 tender is still in bits.

The blower is a bit on the weak side so we had to use the electric fan until past 2 bars.

I pushed her out of the steaming bay onto the turntable, took my seat on the driving truck and opened up.
After spitting loads of water from the chimney (cylinder drain cocks are still in the box of bits) she started moving.
We took the gradient up to the station, the needle started creeping up. After passing the station we took the next gradient up to the highest point of the layout. About halfway through the safety valve opened.
Draughting is excellent.
There is a list of teething troubles but nothing serious. I will also need to cast some lead. She is quite powerful and slips easily.
Claud ran well until late in the evening one of the forward eccentrics shifted.
Swallow ran well the whole day. Due to poor coal we had to empty the smokebox twice.

Back to work.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1687 on: October 15, 2017, 01:38:55 pm »

Lovely!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1688 on: October 16, 2017, 08:59:18 pm »

Well, I painted the chassis. 

And, whilst the paints were out....

Then I did a bit of cutting.  The flatbed needed reducing to one plank in height. 

That looks better; just the surface detail to sand off now. 

And before I knew it....

Now back to the usual grind of much work for little progress.  Lots of fine detail painting next.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1689 on: October 16, 2017, 11:53:43 pm »

Sweet!
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1690 on: October 17, 2017, 11:23:35 pm »

Very nice!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1691 on: October 18, 2017, 05:32:44 pm »

It's getting there.  Next stae is to fit the mudguards, several very small/ fiddly bits (four mudguards, four brackets.....).  Then finish off the flatbed, build up the steering wheel/ brake/ clutch/ accelerator, source some lettering (letraset?).....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1692 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:03 pm »

My old mamod was back on the bench.
It kept derailing as the centre of gravity was right above the rear axle.
I took the fake smokebox off, pushed a pipe through it to slip over the original exhaust steam pipe which ended less than half way up and filled the whole assembly with lead up to the chimney base.
Now the centre of gravity is in the middle between the two axles.
All I need now is a new wheelset as one of the wheels has come loose.
The RC set still seems to be in good shape.
Not too much Mamod left on it.
The solid fuel tray was replaced with a powerful meths burner, the boiler has been tuned, new cylinders fitted......
Can´t wait to run it after pushing it from one dark corner into another for years.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1693 on: October 21, 2017, 12:05:37 pm »

Firstly I set about with cleaning up the paintwork. 

And then- back to construction work.  Lots of little bits; mudguards, starting handle, flatbed front....

More painting to do yet, then another bout of detailing and then final painting.  I'm still puzzling out how to add the lettering. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1694 on: October 21, 2017, 12:17:48 pm »

At the same time, add another project.  I've been able to buy, at a very reasonable price, one of these. 

I wasn't about to pay £50 for an HO model of a Spanish locomotive repainted in faux industrial colours, but a little over half of that.... yes I think I can make that work. 

If scaled up you'd be looking at 3' 6" driving wheels on a 11' 3" wheelbase and roughly a 4" diameter boiler.  This is remarkably close to the GCR class 5A/ LNER J63 dock tanks of 1905/6. 

I thinkthere's definite potential to build the one out of the other.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1695 on: October 21, 2017, 01:29:50 pm »

I am always so impressed by the attention to detail and craftsmanship here; wonderful stuff!

James, I was wondering, do you ever display over at the Stourbridge Bonded Warehouse model railway event?

Yours,
Miranda.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1696 on: October 21, 2017, 01:39:34 pm »

I am always so impressed by the attention to detail and craftsmanship here; wonderful stuff!

James, I was wondering, do you ever display over at the Stourbridge Bonded Warehouse model railway event?

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you!  I don't exhibit any of my models, never been invited to (well, that's one reason)- and I never really see my models as being of exhibiton standard.  Other reasons- fear of them getting damaged in transit, going AWOL or being stolen (sorry to say it does happen).
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1697 on: October 21, 2017, 08:28:54 pm »

Sum total of work done today:

-Flatbed lorry construction finished;
-Flatbed lorry painting finished. 

Now I have ordered some lettering transfers to complete it, but looking at the few references I could find for GCR road vehicle livery suggests the lettering should be gilt after all.  Happily I have some appropriate transfers in stock.

So that will be tomorrow's job, and then to ponder once more 'what next?'

Three possible projects come to mind. 

1. To build the other two card carriage kits left over from this Summer- which would go some way to clearing out the linear scrapyard;
2. Another trio of covered vans- which would leave the linear scrapyard at its current extent. 
3. Five cattle wagons- which, once built, I'd have to find somewhere to keep them. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1698 on: October 22, 2017, 10:50:52 am »

That lorry is now finished.....

Right, on to one of my other half-done projects.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1699 on: October 22, 2017, 01:23:36 pm »

Nice chess set, James!  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: