The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:51:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Centurion 35 day wall clock not working  (Read 9495 times)
mattig89ch
Gunner
United States United States

« on: September 30, 2011, 03:05:26 pm »

howdy all,

i recently picked up a centurion 35 wall clock at my job (huzzah for thrift stores).  got it home, mounted it, wound it, started the pendulum swinging and started reading.  after about a half hour, the pendulum stopped.  I took it off the wall, inspected it, there seems nothing out of place, so i started it again, and watched it.  the pendulum lost momentum after about 15 min.

I know the penulum is rather crucial to getting a clock ticking, and it was my understanding that there was something inside these clocks that moved it back and forth.  yet, thats not happening here.  from what i can see (without dismantling it) the springs are wound, all the internal mechanisms appear to function properly, but its still running out after about an hour.

has anyone ever encountered a similar problem with one of these?  or does anyone know how to fix this?

I believe that Steampunk is more than just brass and watchparts. It's finding a way to combine the past and the future in an aesthetic pleasing way. It's living a life that looks old-fashioned, yet speaks to the future.

Edwin Barrett Mudgewhack, at your service
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:21:54 pm »

During the time that the clock runs, does it have an even tick - tick...tock...tick...tock? Or is it uneven - tick.tock......tick.tock?

If the latter then it's out of beat, which will cause the symptoms you have. Try adjusting the angle at which the clock is hanging on the wall; you may be able to get it back in beat that way.

If you manage to get it back in beat but it appears to be hanging at a strange angle then it needs to be adjusted by a clock/watchmaker.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:25:53 pm »

My understanding is that these were fairly inexpensive clocks from Asia (Korea, commonly), similar to American 8 day clocks but with bigger springs.  The pendulum attaches to a rocking bar that interacts with a special gear (should look like it has triangular spikes).  That gear will be under tension from the springs (via all the gears in between), and as the bar rocks back and forth, it will alternately stop the gear, or be "pushed" by the gear (depending on the position of the pendulum).  Its the "pushing" part of the motion that keeps the pendulum swinging.  If the pendulum slows down, probably the clock just needs to be cleaned and oiled, because the energy of the spring isn't getting fully transferred to the pendulum.  Could also suggest that the springs are "set", and aren't providing enough power, but on a 35day clock, I'd expect even weak springs to give enough power to run the clock if they're fully wound.  

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
mattig89ch
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:35:39 am »

actually i figured it out.  there was a little switch to the right of the pendulum, I flicked it to the right and presto!

the weird thing is that it keeps perfect time, yet the ticks aren't quite as fast as the blinks on the cable box.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:05:53 pm »

Your cable box is probably flashing at 1 per second. Clock gear trains are built to various pendulum counts per hour; the point is, if it's keeping good time, the pendulum is beating at the right rate for that clock.

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: