The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:53:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you unhappy with the modern world?  (Read 23099 times)
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #425 on: April 28, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »

Come along, Mr. Narsil!!

Stop arguing the minutiae of the energy equation and let Mr. Tower explain how his Utopia is going to work.

I'm afraid you misunderstand... let Brother Narsil be.  I don't think Mr. Tower is thinking of Utopia the way you think about it Mr. Quack... more like Dystopia... Utopia is the ever optimistic side of the engineers and dreamers.  But I'll let Mr. Tower explain for himself the darkness of his thesis.  By the way, I did contact a real "utopist."  Ms. Rachel Armstrong, our Lady Oracle, hallowed be Her name, who has read this thread.

Let the forces of good vs. evil fight this battle, Mr. Quack, lest you wish to lose a limb in the fight!

You think I misunderstand that?

Well, well.

The only limbs in this debate are the ones being 'gone out on' by basing arguments on assumptions and then not bothering to question whether the assumptions were correct in the first place.

I'm quite fond of all of my appendages, but I'd be prepared to give one up if the forces of 'Good and  Evil' have both got it wrong.
And that is before we consider the wisdom of assigning such grand titles.

Also. You might find some difficulty in getting any agreement as to which side is which.

I just want to cut to the chase and hear the proposal.

I've already made a few guesses.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #426 on: April 28, 2013, 10:52:07 pm »

No matter how you look at it, we're in for some drastic changes in the not too distant future. I do not believe we're running out of fossil fuels any time soon,but it is fairly obvious we've pretty much used up the easily accessible stuff. It'll just get harder and harder to get to oil, coal and gas, which means energy prices will inevitably soar. Meanwhile, we've got a rapidly growing world population. Add to that the fact that Western consumption levels (of both energy and resources) is many times greater than the world's average, and many of the countries that have lagged behind are now attempting to catch up at a frightening pace.

There are about 7 billion people now. Add another billion to that in the next 15 years or so, and another billion 2 decades later. A steep increase in population combined with an equally great increase in consumption rates per capita is unsustainable in the long run. Something has to give eventually. Either consumption per capita needs to be drastically reduced, or population growth will need to be curbed.

And this is just dealing with energy and production - completely ignoring factors as environmental damage, overcrowding, etc. 

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #427 on: April 29, 2013, 04:49:33 am »

Come along, Mr. Narsil!!

Stop arguing the minutiae of the energy equation and let Mr. Tower explain how his Utopia is going to work.

I'm afraid you misunderstand... let Brother Narsil be. I don't think Mr. Tower is thinking of Utopia the way you think about it Mr. Quack... more like Dystopia... Utopia is the ever optimistic side of the engineers and dreamers.  But I'll let Mr. Tower explain for himself the darkness of his thesis.  By the way, I did contact a real "utopist."  Ms. Rachel Armstrong, our Lady Oracle, hallowed be Her name, who has read this thread.

Let the forces of good vs. evil fight this battle, Mr. Quack, lest you wish to lose a limb in the fight!

You think I misunderstand that?

Well, well.

The only limbs in this debate are the ones being 'gone out on' by basing arguments on assumptions and then not bothering to question whether the assumptions were correct in the first place.

I'm quite fond of all of my appendages, but I'd be prepared to give one up if the forces of 'Good and  Evil' have both got it wrong.
And that is before we consider the wisdom of assigning such grand titles.

Also. You might find some difficulty in getting any agreement as to which side is which.

I just want to cut to the chase and hear the proposal.

I've already made a few guesses.

Then Mr. Quack feel free to throw your hat in.  Mr. Tower is usually very clear in his speech and so am I.  What is it that yet needs to be stated by Mr. Tower in your opinion?  An exact description of Utopia?

Brother Narsil has not sat down this game either -let him state if I have his position wrong as opposed to you.  Spare your limbs no more!

Guesses are not good, and waiting to voice your opinion is worse after the argument. If you have a position, take it.  If you are so sure both (or either) sides have it wrong, then state your business and speak your thesis.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:33:44 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

caramelwhistle
Gunner

Reductio ad Absurdum

caramelwhistle
« Reply #428 on: April 30, 2013, 10:59:51 pm »

No matter how you look at it, we're in for some drastic changes in the not too distant future. I do not believe we're running out of fossil fuels any time soon,but it is fairly obvious we've pretty much used up the easily accessible stuff. It'll just get harder and harder to get to oil, coal and gas, which means energy prices will inevitably soar.

With the oil they are pulling out of North Dakota the USA will no longer be dependant (or as dependant) on Eastern supplies at least for the next twenty to forty years worth they've got in there.  Waitresses on fifty thousand a year... Crazy.

Join Steampunk: Milton Keynes and Northampton
Find Us on: MeetupFacebook and Twiter

Attended Events: Steampunk at the Seaside 2013 + 2014
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #429 on: May 01, 2013, 04:14:57 am »

No matter how you look at it, we're in for some drastic changes in the not too distant future. I do not believe we're running out of fossil fuels any time soon,but it is fairly obvious we've pretty much used up the easily accessible stuff. It'll just get harder and harder to get to oil, coal and gas, which means energy prices will inevitably soar.

With the oil they are pulling out of North Dakota the USA will no longer be dependant (or as dependant) on Eastern supplies at least for the next twenty to forty years worth they've got in there.  Waitresses on fifty thousand a year... Crazy.

My roommate is from Western Australia.  It seems they have a similar situation (gas?).  The thing is we keep discovering more combustible commodities.  This is not good.  We need to wean ourselves from that as soon as possible, regardless of how much we have left.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #430 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:48 pm »

The US still imports 2/3 of its oil from other countries, new oil finds only marginally affect this figure. Plus, it changes absolutely nothing in the long run: Oil will become harder to pump up and thus prices will climb. It is inevitable. New oil wells and processing techniques can delay it to some extend, but it will be here sooner or later.
AltheBiker
Gunner

Vroommmmm

« Reply #431 on: May 02, 2013, 05:00:13 pm »

Speaking as a former oil rig geologist, the oil/gas situation is simple. We are running out. It costs more and more to get less and less. A big thing has been made of the fact that scientists and engineers warned in the early '70s there was not enough oil/gas but now people point the finger and say "ooh they were wrong , we still have some now and they are still drilling". No they were not wrong, the key word that everyone forgets they said was the word "economic" and not only financially but ecologically as well. There IS oil left, but are people prepared to destroy Antarctica for it ? prepared to extract the most they can with the prices spiraling forever upwards while they wreak ecological devastation?  In the UK a litre of fuel is around £1.40 at its cheapest, which works out roughly at £6.40 a gallon, I remember filling up at the start of the 1980's for £0.73 a gallon.

There will have to be changes and soon....

Music and Toast in Darkness
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #432 on: May 04, 2013, 01:26:24 pm »

Hmmm... how complex would a solar concentrator, providing steam for a Stirling cycle engine, running an electricity generator be?

Alternatively, a mild solar concentrator, in a high altitude airship, focusing light onto solar panels? We might not even need to concentrate the light actually, going into the stratosphere gets you 70% more energy...

If you want gas, just get bacteria to churn it out for you. Granted, we need to improve our cultivation methods more.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #433 on: May 04, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »

Hmmm... how complex would a solar concentrator, providing steam for a Stirling cycle engine, running an electricity generator be?

Not very complex at all.

FRESNEL SOLAR STIRLING ENGINE SUN POWER ALTERNATIVE ENERGY STIRLING MOTOR GENERATOR

or a more fancy version:

Infinia Stirling Solar Generator
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #434 on: April 14, 2015, 04:26:02 am »

Having apps like Tinder makes me sad for the modern world. Does nobody have standards anymore?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #435 on: April 15, 2015, 08:02:29 am »

Having apps like Tinder makes me sad for the modern world. Does nobody have standards anymore?

It's not the lack of standards, but rather the excess arbitrary standards that you bemoan.  Tinder is treating dating like a job search engine.  Judging by the lack of employment offers I get at monster.com, it is not a surprise that Tinder would be a terrible tool.  At best you can expect to get a "statistical average" match to you alleged profile.  The match standards being set by the public, which unfortunately will include social prejudice (age differences, ethnicity, religion and other artificial cultural factors), and thus peg you to a category according to local demographic standards,  What a sad way to choose a partner.  You're probably missing the best persons you could ever meet.

I would probably be assigned to someone who looks 20 years older than I am, has had multiple divorces and thus is very jaded about life, while I can't possibly match her (negative) life experience or expectations, basically being a novice at the game of love. Worse I could get the result I got once at match.com: "Sorry no matches can be found to your profile (in spite of the fact that you live in a major city), so we are dropping your profile and you are not eligible to participate." I can see many people's self esteem going down in flames - maybe a few suicides along the way.

Tinder uses Facebook profiles to gather basic information and analyse users' social graph, which then matches candidates who are most likely to be compatible based on geographical location, number of mutual friends, and common interests.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:04:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #436 on: April 15, 2015, 09:11:31 am »

Well if it's used for dating that is fine. That is just not the impression that I've gotten.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #437 on: April 15, 2015, 09:44:51 am »

Well if it's used for dating that is fine. That is just not the impression that I've gotten.

Honestly, because of the reasons I give above, I insist, even if used properly, the tool is terrible. A poor substitute for social skills.  Now, if used improperly - then it is possibly a criminal act
(I'm assuming this is what you mean)

Controversies
Fake profiles have been created on Tinder. In July 2014, online security firm Symantec warned that Tinder is suffering from a number of different spam campaigns using fake profiles.[9]
Users have been victim to a number of catfishing attacks, whereby an attacker deceives users into interacting with fake profiles. In March 2015, a California-based computer engineer, operating under the name Patrick, carried out man-in-the-middle attacks against Tinder users.[10] Two men who "liked" a female bait profile run by the attacker would have their messages relayed to each other, causing the victims to flirt with one another until they realised the deception. Patrick estimated he was overseeing 40 conversations within the first 12 hours of running his interception program.
Two days after Patrick's attack was made public, a British hacker named catfi.sh revealed he had carried out a similar attack but on a far larger scale.[11][12] At the time of going public, he estimated 10,000 male users had sent 100,000 messages between themselves and that his system was seeing 200 new users and 2,500 new messages sent a day. His initial aim was to "trick other guys into talking to girls on my behalf" before regaining control if a conversation was going well. After finding this worked poorly, he switched to the same style of attack used by Patrick. Particularly interesting or funny interactions were posted on the hacker's website https://catfi.sh after having personally identifiable details removed.
In February 2014, security researchers in New York found a flaw which made it possible to find users' precise locations for between 40 and 165 days, without any public notice from the company. Tinder's spokesperson, Rosette Pambakian, said the issue was resolved within 48 hours. Chief Executive Officer Sean Rad said in a statement that Tinder implemented specific measures to enhance location security and further obscure location data shortly after being contacted, and that users' privacy and security continue to be the highest priority.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #438 on: April 15, 2015, 09:53:52 am »

No, that's not what I meant. I meant that my impression is that people use it to hook up with random strangers.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #439 on: April 15, 2015, 10:11:21 am »

No, that's not what I meant. I meant that my impression is that people use it to hook up with random strangers.

Well the service advertises itself as a dating tool. Be more explicit! Do you mean "random" as in casual sexual random encounters? Prostitution? As illicit drug sales meetings? To set up hooligan gatherings? Or just plain meetings for strangers?  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:15:39 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #440 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14:00 am »

Also note not all members of BG would have a problem with one or more categories of the above, since we are a broad cross section of society, afterall (I don't speak my opinion for myself BTW)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:16:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2015, 10:19:46 am »

Subtlety is not working well I see.

Yes, casual sexual random encounters.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2015, 10:29:19 am »

Subtlety is not working well I see.

Yes, casual sexual random encounters.

I hate to tell you this, but I'm afraid casual sex encounters are not exactly "modern" or unknown in Victorian times... Chances are you would have found (and be equally appalled by) plenty of bragging over the sexual exploits by young upper class men in the 19th. C.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2015, 01:04:50 pm »

I just wish than things will evolve for the better and than victorian clothing and art nouveau will come back into fashion.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2015, 01:47:27 pm »

To reply to the original topic...

As I would likely have been thrown in Bedlam, castrated and or lobotomized for being mentally disabled (and queer)... er, pretty much any time before the 80s*, really, I'm quite content with living in a time where, at least, I have basic rights to my body.

And nuts.

Really, I don't fit well with this time. But this time is, relatively speaking, quite forgiving of those who don't fit in.

*about the time they finally stopped forcibly sterlizing the mentally disabled. They stopped doing it to gay people in '68 in thelast six states to do it, iirc. Believe it or not.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2015, 02:56:25 pm »

The modern world has 'Steampunk'....does that count as something to be happy about?

Every period has positives and negatives, people say the streets were safer a generation or two ago...but forget bombs were falling on London. the 1960's were fun...unless you were in Viet Nam and so on.

Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #446 on: April 16, 2015, 07:50:03 pm »

I wouldn't say I'm completely unhappy with the modern world, I refuse to believe there is any happiness to be found in modern consumer culture.

There is also a lot to be said for Victorian values, yes there was greed but there was also far more charity from the rich than we seem to see today. Buildings were built up to a quality rather than using the lowest cost materials and techniques. Infrastructure was so well built much of it is still in use today with minimal maintenance. 

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2015, 09:29:47 pm »

Are you sure there was more charity? Or is it just that the focus of the charity is different now, since people in the UK are no longer desperately poor? Still, I do think there needs to be third world garment factories that provide decent housing for their workers, reasonable hours, safe working conditions, and education for their kids. You could do it and still be quite profitable. Especially if you hire muckraker reporters to point out what the other factories are like... Wink

The housing, of course, is a lot better. There's something to be said for their views on basements; newbuild houses have no storage space in this country, whilst our basement is stuffed full of stuff we need to sort out.

I think a large part of the infrastructure matter is because they overbuilt stuff, lacking the required knowledge to build to a minimum standard.
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #448 on: May 12, 2015, 05:27:27 am »

Very much so, more accurately terribly disappointed with the people whom populate such.

We live in a world lacking honor, integrity, selflessness and compassion.

Such is unlikely to change as a whole unless by the duress or threat of extinction of the species.

*quietly praying for a rogue asteroid*

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
DikkeVetteVlinder
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #449 on: May 12, 2015, 10:02:27 pm »

I'm quite content with current times, actually. In one of the first pages someone mentioned women's rights, for example, and I'd second that. I currently study game design and I dream of making games that help people in a playful way, and basically; I can go for it. I can take the jump. And I am just so, so grateful for that.
Now, that's not only due to the time we live in of course, having a wonderful, supporting family really helps as well, but that is a different topic.
Another thing that I love is that everything is so accessible. I doubt I'll ever travel the world, but I can still learn about it. And I love that. I know Wikipedia is definitely not a very reliable source of information, but just the fact that there's so much I can read about is so nice.
And even if I do want to travel; we can travel so fast now.
Oh, and technology. Yesterday night I felt homesick, so I chatted with a friend who lives on the other side of the country, because she just gets that stuff, you know? It's so reassuring that I can turn to her too if I need someone because talking to my parents would probably have made the homesickness worse. And just generally, how easy it is to meet new people online. This community; you guys have no idea how inspiring all people's creations here have been for me.

Now, there's plenty of stuff that's not so lovely, of course, I am well aware of that, but if I look at my overall happiness, I'd say I'm doing great.

This topic made me think of a quote from Yahtzee Croshaw's Jam:
"Unlike you people, I have no illusion as to my usefulness in an actual apocalypse. The most I can hope for is to die in a pose that confuses future archaeologists."
Now, I have no idea if others are delusional about apocalypses or anything, but this goes for me too, if you replace apocalypse with harsher times. I'm a dummy. I'm surprised I've not lit a kitchen on fire yet by accident. Honestly. I wouldn't survive a week in some of the harsher times of the past. It's a miracle I can use a sewing machine without sewing my hand to something. But I'm working on that, though. I'll just search pinterest for some nifty tutorials : D

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: