The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2017, 11:32:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you unhappy with the modern world?  (Read 23933 times)
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 08:53:59 am »

Welcome back, Vagabond Gentleman. Long time no see.  Smiley

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 12:52:43 pm »

Indeed, welcome back Sir.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
nikki1876
Deck Hand
England England

female into steampunk from the uk

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 01:54:02 pm »

no  unhappy with it  the tec  is  good      just feel a pull to the older times

n mclearie
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 05:50:12 pm »

You must remember that my code of ethics comes from an earlier time- notably the 11th century. I believe someone who comes into your house looking to rob you or harm you or your family is not entitled to rights- He's entitled to a broadsword through his heart.  I believe that if gov'ts would employ the pillory, you'd have fewe  petty robberies. I believe that a good revolver beats 911 on speed dial every time.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »

I´m unhappy with the modern world, but I doubt I would be happier with the old one. I wish I was living in an age, where there was still lots of unexplored places to go. However I also know Victorian me would be very unlikely to ever go to those places. Central Congo might be well explored these days, but at least now I actually have a chance to see it. Also I´m living in a country where I don´t have to worry about crime, corruption, the secret police knocking on my door and where people are nice rather than polite. I´m not willing to trade that for a Victorian optimistic outlook on the future.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 06:36:22 pm »

Don't worry - if human civilisation doesn't manage to destroy itself within the next couple of decades, there'll be plenty of places to explore (space, the ocean - if you want large undiscovered lifeforms, try looking in the ocean), and much greater inventing going on where it belongs: in sheds. We're just, unfortunately, in an interlude at the moment.

I've mentioned before about Biohacking, but I'll do so again as an example of what sort of engineering people are getting up to in their own homes - http://singularityhub.com/2009/04/28/do-it-yourself-biohacking/. Add to that cheaper fabbing techniques to make owning your own fully equipped workshop cheaper, and it looks like we could be returning to the good old Shed as the basic unit of human engineering. There'll be plenty of work for people who wish to be self employed at building stuff with their own hands (and tools Cheesy ).

I don't share this view of the future, I must admit. However, if everything does go belly up... well, it's still fun to try surviving a post-apocalyptic wasteland, right? Right...?

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 05:08:44 am »

Unhappy? nah! I find it clumbsy and best had in small doses.

The world is always that way though. That's why I customise it. Take it in a little here, throw some mechanisms on over there...
There is the modern world as it exists, and my life. Two entities that sometimes intersect but given the option I try to maintain some sort of airlock between them.

You keep your crazy $#!+ over there, and I'll keep mine over here.

That is a relatively recent innovation in the world; all the necessities and interactions you may seek within walking distance with the ability to close it all out for days on end if I choose.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I consider wrong with the world, but that's to be expected.

rhylla
Snr. Officer

The Navigator

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 11:19:49 pm »

fast pace of life is a little wearing at times and there are things i don't like ... but living in an age where i and my son can survive my appendicitis while being 7 months pregnant outweighs the other stuff!

i love the escapism into a Steampunk version of Victorian times just because it gives my brain a break form having to force itself to be responsible and organised and having to cope with phones and computers and realising i need to learn to drive but don't want to!

the fact that managers of shops can't do anything without headoffice's say so is a tad annoying too!

-Rhylla-

Navigator of the Airship Tartan Crow (and the reason why we generally travel in the wrong direction!)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 02:34:15 am »

Here´s something to put things into perspective regarding the modern age:

http://edge.org/conversation/mc2011-history-violence-pinker
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 08:12:05 am »

Here´s something to put things into perspective regarding the modern age:

http://edge.org/conversation/mc2011-history-violence-pinker

Well there is some truth to some of that. I think that my biggest problem with that approach is that the statistics can be skewed.

Increased birth rates, increased lifespan for those that live long enough to be old, and increased ability to survive what was once deadly all amount to a much bigger group to sample and thus the number of actual 'wolves' may be constant or even increasing but the 'sheep' are outpacing that growth.

That's not a decrease in violence, but the decrease of statistical signigicance of it. In that sort of thinking you and your whole family could be lost to violence on the rise, but because there are more people who don't it's seen as a decrease.

Of course the other argument is true too. If the population increases 30% but violence among that population increases by only 4% then it would seem that violence as a way of life is something that is less favored for carrying forward in our society.

in the end it seems more likely that the ultimate truth is that statistics are not useful in qualitative assessments, only quantitative ones.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 11:55:06 am »

To quote Dresden Dolls 'I might join your century, but only as a doubtful guest'.

I don't fit in here, but I'd have been stillborn in the 19th century so I'll have to get on with it.

When I was younger I was full of hope for changing the world- I so fervently believed that we could make the world a better place and that I would live to see it happen. Now I've lost hope- despite the fact that there are solutions to our problems out there I know we will probably never take them.

So I hide. I like the fact that steampunk gives me an opportunity to live in an alternate reality where the mistakes of the past did not just evolve into the problems of the 21st century. In some ways it is escapism for me, a way to surround myself with beauty as a shield real life.

I wish I had the strength of character and the energy to make a difference, but I'm a coward. So I'll content myself with recording and analysing cemeteries- making sure that even if modern policy destroys this heritage I have protected it for the future- on paper at least. I'll be an academic- because I like University and It's sufficiently far from the real world to feel safe.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
ValancyJane
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 01:53:57 pm »

Let's see, would I like to live in a past where
  • I would not be able to vote
  • My career options would would be wife/mother or old maid
  • My sole value as a person would be defined by my sexuality/fertility
  • I could not wear pants
  • I'd have a pretty good chance of dying in childbirth and even if I did survive, it is very likely my child wouldn't
  • If I had a special needs child or was special needs myself, we would be locked away in an asylum
  • I could be persecuted/discriminated against for being any other religion other than Protestant Christian
  • That I could not be friends with some of my closest friends because their skin color would have kept them out my social circles

Oh, I could keep going.  The modern world is far from perfect but I think the appeal of steampunk is that it combines the best of the modern world (Advance tech, modern approach to race/gender, etc) with the best of the past (quality over quanity, a sense of manners, style and substance).

"Steampunk makes me feel like we can rewind the future, take tech in new directions, and wear better clothes." Scott Westerfeld via Twitter.
"Steampunk is...a fish...with a cog on its head"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 02:04:09 pm »

• I would not be able to vote
  • My career options would would be wife/mother or old maid
  • My sole value as a person would be defined by my sexuality/fertility
  • I could not wear pants
  • I'd have a pretty good chance of dying in childbirth and even if I did survive, it is very likely my child wouldn't
  • If I had a special needs child or was special needs myself, we would be locked away in an asylum
  • I could be persecuted/discriminated against for being any other religion other than Protestant Christian
  • That I could not be friends with some of my closest friends because their skin color would have kept them out my social circles

Oh, I could keep going.  The modern world is far from perfect but I think the appeal of steampunk is that it combines the best of the modern world (Advance tech, modern approach to race/gender, etc) with the best of the past (quality over quanity, a sense of manners, style and substance).

What are you doing out of the kitchen woman? Smiley

Seriously though, all good points often overlooked by us males of the species.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »

Valancy Jane wrote:

I would not be able to vote
    My career options would would be wife/mother or old maid
    My sole value as a person would be defined by my sexuality/fertility
    I could not wear pants
    I'd have a pretty good chance of dying in childbirth and even if I did survive, it is very likely my child wouldn't
    If I had a special needs child or was special needs myself, we would be locked away in an asylum
    I could be persecuted/discriminated against for being any other religion other than Protestant Christian
    That I could not be friends with some of my closest friends because their skin color would have kept them out my social circles

Excellent.

So far, this is the best the human species can do
far as gender acceptance and equality stuff goes....

So far,
this is the best time to be a woman.

So far.

*Relentless Optimystic *
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 08:14:35 pm »

The world is fine...  It is just badly decorated and the people in it often behave poorly.

- Maximilian
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 09:30:57 pm »

Cheesy
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 09:42:57 pm »

If the question were asked one hundred years ago, we'd likely see the same answers (sans computers of course).

The grass is always greener on the other side, until you get to the other side.

I find that it is a grand time to be alive. 

Perhaps for the first time ever:
The Truth (or whatever is trying to be hidden) can be easily exposed.
The past, present and future have gotten quite close and comfy.
Science is growing faster than it can be poo-pooed
Technology is growing upon itself.  Science Fiction quickly becomes Science Fact.
We are starting to look about and realizing that being different is a good thing after all.

Baby steps ... but I feel that perhaps some of us may be evolving.

Onward ho!
Ulysses Reynolds
Zeppelin Captain

Just keep on flying.

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 12:04:52 am »

If the question were asked one hundred years ago, we'd likely see the same answers (sans computers of course).

The grass is always greener on the other side, until you get to the other side.

I find that it is a grand time to be alive. 

Perhaps for the first time ever:
The Truth (or whatever is trying to be hidden) can be easily exposed.
The past, present and future have gotten quite close and comfy.
Science is growing faster than it can be poo-pooed
Technology is growing upon itself.  Science Fiction quickly becomes Science Fact.
We are starting to look about and realizing that being different is a good thing after all.

Baby steps ... but I feel that perhaps some of us may be evolving.

How uplifting. Smiley

There is a reason for this. And trust me, when a bunch of harry potter geeks think your fucking retarded, you know there is something wrong.
Miss Calendula Malmesbury
Officer
England England

Keeping it steamy since 1888

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »

I spend a lot of my summer doing 15th century re-enactment and I often get asked if I wished I lived back then and my answer (much as has been many of yours) would be definitely not (and the same counts for the Victorian period as well).

I rather like living in a time when I can vote, have antibiotics and other groundbreaking medical care, be treated on a more or less equal footing to a man, have indoor plumbing, a vacuum cleaner, no parasites, a reassonable working day in non-deadly conditions and not have the majority of my children die of something trivial during infancy.

however

Do I think that the world today would be an awful lot more pleasant if we incorporated some of the very best bits of the past (good manners, respect for self and others, a sense of propriety, a sense of adventure, wonder and discovery etc etc) into our modern everyday lives?  Most definitely yes.  And that, for me, is the essence of steampunk.   Grin
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 05:22:08 am »

It would be an interesting sociological study to compare see if there is a correlation between steampunks who approach their enthusiasm via "a character" and have a more pronounced longing for another world and those who don't have a persona and have a less pronounced longing.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 06:19:09 am »

It would be an interesting sociological study to compare see if there is a correlation between steampunks who approach their enthusiasm via "a character" and have a more pronounced longing for another world and those who don't have a persona and have a less pronounced longing.

And what if your persona has an equally bad or worse life than you? 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For everything great today and bad back then, my great-great-grandparents coming from Ireland could never have gotten a piece of land today.   

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 07:11:27 am »

It is rather strange to have a "pronounced longing for the past," and a persona who seems to belong there, but it seems to be common; it would be interesting to see a study, not just sociological, but psychological.  What about the aesthetic?  To feel so at home suddenly in a peculiar hat and a long skirt, and to want to motor along at five miles an hour in a dust costume.

I once read that the signing gorilla, Koko, used to refer to the future by pointing back over her shoulder.  She was right; we face nostalgically the vista of the past, but we are rushing backward into the future and we cannot see it. 

Miss Malmesbury makes a good point.  Why do evolving societies not keep the best of the past? Then we could have the best of all possible worlds, or at least set about it.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 11:15:34 am »

It is rather strange to have a "pronounced longing for the past," and a persona who seems to belong there, but it seems to be common; it would be interesting to see a study, not just sociological, but psychological.  What about the aesthetic?  To feel so at home suddenly in a peculiar hat and a long skirt, and to want to motor along at five miles an hour in a dust costume.

I once read that the signing gorilla, Koko, used to refer to the future by pointing back over her shoulder.  She was right; we face nostalgically the vista of the past, but we are rushing backward into the future and we cannot see it. 

Miss Malmesbury makes a good point.  Why do evolving societies not keep the best of the past? Then we could have the best of all possible worlds, or at least set about it.

According to Phenomenology, much of what we "think" we like is also embodied.  Like I feel out of place without a waist coat on.  I need to have a hat or I feel naked.  It's very much a part of us, quite literally in fact.  So when you say you feel at home in a hat or long skirt, your body as in the "entire you" in fact does. 

Lettie
Deck Hand

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 11:22:15 am »

Miss Malmesbury makes a good point.  Why do evolving societies not keep the best of the past? Then we could have the best of all possible worlds, or at least set about it.

...because we have an obsession with new equalling better. Personally, I blame the enlightenment. Whilst it was wonderful for science and laying the foundation for the society comforts that we love, it also instilled the idea that old is bad, that it needs to be replaced with something new, improved and better and that we can no longer learn great lessons from the past.

Since then, I think we've been scrabbling to undo this thinking.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 04:54:10 pm »

We don't kep the best of the past, because we have a hard time pointing out the good in the present, without immediately seeing some obvious ways it could be improved. Hence, the best of the past could not be 'kept', but merely retro-actively reinstated.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: