The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:45:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: easy but attractive?  (Read 2702 times)
josecou
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: September 26, 2011, 12:48:23 am »

Can anybody suggest a steampunk project that is easy, but looks good when it's finished? Please try to post pictures/links.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:01:21 am »

Gentleman's calling card, about 10 mins with publisher??

C'mon how simple do you want?? have a look around and don't ask to be spoonfed!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:10:23 am »

Well, I am fairly new to steampunk, and I cant seem to find any accessories, clothing, etc. that easy and/or cheap that actually looked good. I thought that starting a topic might be a good way to find some.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:23:13 am »

Wether it looks good afterwards, will probably depend on how much work you put into it.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:00:46 am »

Do you have even a vague idea of something you might want? some sort of accessory or jewellery, clothing, weaponry, some sort of gadget or tech etc?

Or something else entirely?

Y'know, throw us a bone here. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:03:38 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:55:31 am »

Easy but attractive? How about painting and modding a Nerf Maverick? #Ducks for cover from the Nerf con party#  Grin
Although it's plastic, you can make it look (sort of) like brass with brass paint. Google for "modified nerf" or "nerf mod" for inspiration.

A standard set of welding goggles can also be a nice and easy project. You can paint, add things, modify it quite easily.

Also, have a look around the tactile section of Brass Goggles.

The main thing is material. Go to thrift stores and garage sales to gather things like candle holders, decorative brass cups, leather, clocks. Anything with an interesting shape that could be something else.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Zuzu
Gunner
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:01 am »

welders goggles are definitely cheap and easy as starter goggles. You can pick them up for  two or three pound (ebay has a glut of them)

as for how to... ah well there is where you get to use your own imagination. there are a lot of products and paints etc that can give your goggles a nicer look than the black basic. I would say experiment.

there are iron paints that come along with rusting solutions if you want old and rusty.
products like rub'n'buff add a nice metal polish touch.
(this is if you are like me and lack engineering tools and skill and whos soldering abilities are "rustic" to say the least)

got to charity shops and pick up old alarm clocks (the mechanical wind up sort ) to salvage for bits..

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
SgtPepper
Gunner

Pooh pooh!

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 04:50:37 am »

Goggles are a great initiatory project.

Spats are simple and easy.

Bracers or armbands are simple, and if you put enough effort into them you can make them look very good.

Try modding a squirtgun if you don't want to try and take apart a Nerf gun.

The best advice I can give you is to start collecting supplies, and find as many steampunk images as you can.  Save all the ones you like, then go back through and figure out exactly what you like about them.  A certain type of sleeve?  A color combination?  Military flair?  Once you know what you like, you can figure out how to imitate it.  Then you'll be able to figure out your own projects.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:30:16 pm »

...this topic ingress me because the first time i ever came here i was just like him... wanting to make something easy that refers to a steam-punk project.

and the same project i remember that i first built was a pop pop boat.

Part 1 Build a Putt PuttPop Pop Steam Boat Intro 1

the materials are very obtainable. the only thing that needs to be (purchased) is the glue.
*also a printer is a must which should be available in your nearby liberty*

...wth is a signature ._.
[sorry for my fail in grammar]
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 02:41:38 pm »

A good first project might be 'make a less misleading topic header'.

I'm sure I 'm not the only viewer who opened an 'easy but attractive' thread expecting something else....  Grin

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 03:12:49 pm »

I'm sure I 'm not the only viewer who opened an 'easy but attractive' thread expecting something else....  Grin

You were expecting someone spamming the forum for customers, I guess?

In answer to the original question - you could buy something someone else has made, mod it very slightly and claim it as your own work...

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Peacemaker
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 11:00:26 pm »

Wimshurst machine: Wouldn't really consider this one for beginners but you can get everything you need to make a Wimshurst machine at your local hardware store. Jake Von Slatt has a wonderful step by step guide on his website

Wall Clock:You can go to the store and buy a cheap wall clock, then go find some flat industrial style metal, take the clock apart and install it to the metal for a steampunk wall clock. Even the folding food strainers will look cool.

Terrarium
: Terrariums are easy, go find a all glass cookie jar or some beakers, get some small plants and soil and there you go.

Lamp: Lamps have to be one of the easiest in my opinion. You can make them out of anything, tall thick candle stick holders, brass pipes, old lanterns, old oil lamps. Then go get an reproduction edison bulb at the hardware store, and a light socket with cord.

Just about everything I've talked about you can get at thrift stores and hardware stores. The key is, your imagination is the only limitation in what you can do!

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »

Sculpey/Fimo comes to mind....  You just need your hands and maybe simple implements to shape the clay...

Ha, ha, ha..  "Easy but attractive"  "Yes, that's me! I think I'll see who wants me..." Ha, hahahaha!

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 09:54:18 am »

Sculpey/Fimo comes to mind....  You just need your hands and maybe simple implements to shape the clay...

Ha, ha, ha..  "Easy but attractive"  "Yes, that's me! I think I'll see who wants me..." Ha, hahahaha!

That's what made me click on this thread.  Grin

Back on topic: so what's the verdict? What did you decide to make?
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 03:18:23 am »

I'm thinking of making a pop pop boat, but I'm going to be pretty busy. Maybe on Monday. I've also been looking at things in jars. What is a good material to make those out of? Also, what liquid is good to use?
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:32:25 am »

I saw the title of this thread and wondered if you had met my old girlfriend.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 11:25:25 am »

Fimo clay might work good. Actually, anything that doesn't change form or color in water can be used. I've seen stuffed animals in a jar somewhere on this forum, can't remember where it was.
As for the liquid, I would go for something that doesn't go bad after a while. I've made a thing in a jar ones and used tapwater. After a couple of days the water turned bad. A strong liquor might work.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 06:07:28 pm »

As for the liquid, I would go for something that doesn't go bad after a while. I've made a thing in a jar ones and used tapwater. After a couple of days the water turned bad. A strong liquor might work.
I recall someone somewhere suggesting tap water with a little sodium metabisulphite, which is readily available at any wine-making/home-brewing supply shop.

That said, the creep factor of a Thinginajar is actually better if the liquid is a little darker and harder to see through.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:18:04 pm by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Mechanical_Zombie
Deck Hand

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 05:57:21 am »

You could try your hand and sewing up a sleeve cuff. You could also choose to modify a nerf gun, which is a common project. There's also this keyboard project: http://www.steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml I've also been thinking of making a customized desktop case, which shouldn't be too hard so long as you don't alter the actual computer hardware, since it's really just a large box. Simply paint the back a brass or copper, alter the front with some copper, wood, brass, alter logos to look more Victorian...Shouldn't be too amazingly difficult.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 10:56:27 am »

I recall someone somewhere suggesting tap water with a little sodium metabisulphite, which is readily available at any wine-making/home-brewing supply shop.

That said, the creep factor of a Thinginajar is actually better if the liquid is a little darker and harder to see through.

Just mentioned this on another thread: what about "home canning"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_canning
Polymer clay can withstand the heat.

ah, here's the picture of "stuffed animal in a jar"
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »

I'd say a 'Thing in a Jar' is a fine beginning project. It was my very first creation as a matter of fact. Skulpy clay, acrylic paint, plastic bits and pieces, and maybe a can of polyurethane sealer to waterproof it.

Do a search of the forum, there are plenty of How to's.

In the meantime, you can have a look around and get ideas for future projects.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 02:50:45 pm »

"Stuffed Animal In A Jar"! That's just sick! (but in a good way!) It gives me some ideas about some plastic clown heads I have collected with my other baby doll heads...Can you guess I'm not too fond of clowns?  Mwhahaha!!!

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 09:05:44 pm »

I just started a thred entitled Steamtech Battle Mask video with a link to a How to on making a steampunk style mask using easy techniques. Its mostly painted plastic, but thats a lot easier for a beginner to work with than actual brass and copper.

Might be worth a look.
zilegil
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »

Remember: always add rivets and tubes.

Happy dis-assembling domestic appliances.

'Not enough' and 'dapper' is tautological in my opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: