The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 09:04:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elliott & Son (London) Carriage Clock - Real or Fake?  (Read 7041 times)
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« on: September 18, 2011, 05:51:00 am »

I recently purchased an Elliott & Son Carriage Clock and have learned that there are many fakes from China on the market.  How can I tell if my Clock is Real or Fake?

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:59:54 pm »

One simple check is to look at the pivots of the gears with the best magnifier you can get. The fit and finish on a real Elliot & Son will be superb. Was it an "all sales final" sort of deal? Suspicious, that. Finally, was it a bargain? VERY suspicious. Real Elliot and Sons are expensive, which is why there are cheap knockoffs in the first place.

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:30:47 am »

One simple check is to look at the pivots of the gears with the best magnifier you can get. The fit and finish on a real Elliot & Son will be superb. Was it an "all sales final" sort of deal? Suspicious, that. Finally, was it a bargain? VERY suspicious. Real Elliot and Sons are expensive, which is why there are cheap knockoffs in the first place.

Asking me to see if the fit on the pivots of the gears are superb, is like asking Hellen Keller what the sunset looks like.  I have nothing to compare it to.  Sad    It would be easy if I had an Original and a Fake to compare to, but I do not.
The sales was at an auction where all sales are final.  I bid because I liked the look of the little brass and glass clock. (It's very "Steamy".)  This one had some very heavy tarnish on the brass, which gives me a gut feel that it MAY be an original. 
    This leads me to a conundrum.  If it is an Original, I'd probably sell it Smiley, but I'd loose the little clock I like so much.  Sad    So, on one hand, I almost hope it's a copy, so that it will go into my steampunk collection.
    I'll be uploading pictures soon.  I'm still cleaning the heavy tarnish off the case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: