The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 07:58:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket watch from antique store  (Read 1669 times)
EstelleSonata
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

« on: September 17, 2011, 11:24:40 am »

I know I live in Denmark and such, so you might not be able to answer this question, but...

I´ve come in possesion of a pocket watch I bought in an antique store this morning, and I was wondering if you could help me find out how old it is. I don´t have my camera with me right now, so I´ll try to describe the best I can.

I would say it is brass coloured, darker on the back. It is very simple, no fancy paintwork or anything. The numbers are roman numbers, but with regular numbers above them in case you don´t understand the roman numbers. It has little streaks to show the minutes more accurately.

There is altso the name of a company, I suppose, on the clock face. And the word Quartz is placed lower (I think that has something to do with the mechaniscms inside the watch, as I have been searching around a bit myself). It is stated to have been made in Japan.
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:27:55 am »

The first quartz watches started to appear in the late 1960s so it won't be any older than that other than that its impossible to say without a few more details.

What is the company name on the face  ?

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
EstelleSonata
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:30:28 am »

Oh, I´m sorry Smiley I forgot the company name when I edited my post xD The company is called "Elan", it seems.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 06:19:33 pm »

"Elan" is a tradename of Movado, a reasonably good modern company. Apart from being a soulless, battery powered, modern Japanese quartz driven monstrosity, it sounds like a nice daily wear watch, quite attractive in a subdued way.

(Don't take the mini-rant in the second sentence too seriously. It's just that I'm so very fond of real clockwork! With the gears and levers and springs, y'know.)

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
EstelleSonata
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:40:52 pm »

Darkhound- It´s alright XD Just nice to know the history of what I bought. I definetely prefer things with a longer history than what I bought, too, but at least it looks old and classic, I think Smiley Now I know what NOT to look for in the future xD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: