The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 01:34:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just read a book  (Read 5284 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 08:26:58 am »

Actually, titles of books are italicized; titles of short stories and essays are parenthetical.

On the bright side, I've seen more egregious assaults on proper grammar than improperly citing a book's title on these boards...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 04:01:54 pm »

When I was in the fourth grade, we wrote our book reports with number two pencils, and I don't recall the pencils having an Italics setting. It might be that we underlined the titles of books. Either way, something needs to be done to alert the reader that the adjective at the end of the sentence is the book's title, and not your opinion of the book.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 08:09:48 pm »

Agreed. I can (sadly) report, however, as an educator myself, that thanks to misguided attempts at education "reform"* these sorts of details are falling to the wayside as teachers are being forced (their jobs being tied to how much "product" they can crank out) more and more to teach only those things that appear on standardized tests.  Sad

I'm old enough that, like you, in the days before personal computing or (in my case at least, as I won't make presumptions regarding your age) interchangeable type (I actually kind of miss the tactile sensation of popping those little golf balls in and out of the machine!), the only way to properly designate a book's title was underlining.

Ah, well...

*This (and by "this" I mean education reform, not grammar) is a "soapbox" issue for me, and entirely unsuitable for discussion on these boards.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:48:31 pm by GCCC » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 11:49:42 pm »

(In case you've read it previously, please note that I have made an edit in my above post for clarification.)
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 04:12:40 am »

She reminds me of Naomi Novik, a little...(different serious, and Regency period at that)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: