The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 02:45:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communal writing project 3 - Lost Souls of the Asylum  (Read 18263 times)
DrVesuvius
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2011, 10:06:13 am »

I'm sorry, but for the benefit of us first timers, what's the process from here onwards?  What's the deadline for the first draft of our stories and who do we send them to?

Dr V

Though I am wounded, I am not slain
I'll lay me down to bleed a while, then rise to fight again.
- The Ballad of Johnnie Armstrong
Be Splendid!  Go Play!
http://axisofnaughtiness.blogspot.com/ - my blog about returning to the wargaming hobby, with a heavy dose of Victorian Science Fiction.
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2011, 01:13:44 pm »

I'm sorry, but for the benefit of us first timers, what's the process from here onwards?  What's the deadline for the first draft of our stories and who do we send them to?

I knew I had seen it somewhere here, so I searched the thread and found this...
Time frame - Synopsis by the end of Oct (But I think they will be done way before that...), first draft by the end of January, 2nd draft by the end of May. this gives me a bit more time to pull everything together and get the printer involved at an earlier stage.

As to where to send it; last time, I just emailed it to Arkwright.  I'm sure he'll give more specific details now you have raised the question though...

Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2011, 09:50:23 am »

Hello All!

In the past I have done everything by email - but technology has moved on. In the next week or so, I will set up a dropbox for the book. I will then send invites to the contributers so they can upload their stories and I can read, edit and upload the edits.

This way we shall get the whole thing put together a little bit faster. I can also invite the proof readers at an earlier stage.

TTFN

Arkwright

"I devote my life to two worthy goals: unmasking Dorian the Anarchist and ensuring absolute victory over the Fish People!"
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2011, 11:08:53 am »

First draft ready when you've setup the dropbox. 6,500 words and getting some very good responses from initial readings by cynical writing friends...

When you're ready, Sir.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Simon Satori
Deck Hand

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »

I've completed a rather weird and wonderful tale for you (five thousand, eight hundred and sixty odd words arranged in a delightful sequence). I'm not sure what this dropbox-thing is you're talking about but I'll keep my eyes on Brass Goggles and send you the tale as soon as you are ready for it.

I'm off on a 'trip of a lifetime' to Cambodia at Christmas so if I don't see anything before then, I'll send you an email with the tale anyway. I hope that's OK? I don't want to miss the deadline just because I'm clambering through temple-infested jungles or drinking snake-whiskey on a white-sanded beach.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:06 pm »

Hello All!

In the past I have done everything by email - but technology has moved on. In the next week or so, I will set up a dropbox for the book. I will then send invites to the contributers so they can upload their stories and I can read, edit and upload the edits.

This way we shall get the whole thing put together a little bit faster. I can also invite the proof readers at an earlier stage.

TTFN

Arkwright

as soon as you like on the proofreading please?

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2011, 09:46:44 am »

Mr Satori - Dropbox is a great facility that effectively gives you "folders" on the aetherweb that you can share with other people. It's perfect for communal writing projects as it's free for the first 2Gb.

I can send you a link to start you off, if you'd like - you get a little extra space if you setup from someone else's link (as does the person sending it to you). Arkwright will send us all a link to the folder we're to share.
Simon Satori
Deck Hand

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2011, 12:21:16 pm »

Lady Chrystal,

Thanks, if you could post a link or explanation of the dropbox then that might give me a bit of a head-start before Arkwright sends his link.

I always thought one of the nice things about living in the past was that I wouldn't have to deal with all this technology-lark. A pox on it all! Once we had invented the wheel, tea, whiskey, beer and the duvet everything else is just clever people showing off!

I was just starting to get to grips with the twentieth Century when some swine moved us into the twenty first!

Ho hum! Some day I will learn to love my computer!

Thanks,

S.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »

Dropbox gives you an extra drive on your computer that you can access from any computer. You can create a folder and share it with other people - so you copy your file into the folder and other people who share access can see it and update it. The basic package (2Gb) is free and more than enough for sharing files on writing projects.

It's that simple.

If you use this link, then you'll get an extra 250Mb (as will I) for free. When you work through the installation, set it up on a couple of computers, share something with someone else, etc, then you get another 250Mb free.

It's one of those advances that genuinely make things easier, rather than more complicated.

Here's the link:  http://db.tt/jHpTQJLb

If anything isn't clear, please post a question or message me - I'm happy to help.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:35 pm »

Please pardon this eleventh-hour request, but may I use that link as well, Lady Chrystal?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2011, 04:05:30 pm »

Certainly, Mr Bailey. It's a really useful facility - feel free to PM me if you need any assistance, although it's very straightforward to setup.
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 09:59:09 pm »

OK,

Before things get any further out of hand...

Can all contributers please pm me with an email address so that I can share a dropbox with them.

This is important!

Arkwright.
Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer

Ashamed by my own magnificence

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2012, 11:55:28 am »

PM sent

A beautiful piece of nonsense...
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2012, 08:49:52 am »

Arkwright,

I sent my email by PM on the 3rd, but I've not heard anything back. Is there a problem?

Chrystal.
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »

OK,

Before things get any further out of hand...

Can all contributers please pm me with an email address so that I can share a dropbox with them.

This is important!

Arkwright.

Done the other day, trust OK!
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2012, 04:14:55 pm »

Hasw anyone heard back from Arkwright on this? Since the dealine is the end of the month, I'm a little concerned not to have been able to submit yet.
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2012, 05:33:50 pm »

Hello all!

101 things intruding into my life at the moment. But I will have the drop box up and running by the middle of next week.

I'm glad people are keen to get things submitted on time. I'm looking forward to this volume, I've got good feelings about it.

Now I just need to get my own writing kick started...

Arkwright

Post Script (18th Jan) Drop box set up and the 8 people who provided email addresses are invited. When I get the remaining email addresses I will add you to the dropbox.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:42:25 pm by Arkwright » Logged
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 06:43:02 pm »

BUMP!
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2012, 01:23:37 am »

OK, I got the first piece for proofing today. Too late to start now, but should be able to do it tomorrow night.
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2012, 11:58:23 am »

I seem to be running late.  I got quite ill over the Christmas period, so I ended up not really getting stuck in until early January.  Like any writer, the deadline should spur me on, but I just wanted to poke my head up and say it might be tight.  If I miss it and go quiet, it's because I am locked away with my laptop trying not to miss it by too much.
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2012, 04:52:28 pm »

Just "drop-boxed" draft one.  Hope it works!  Mr Arkwright, I've emailed you separately as I'm a belt, braces and bit od elastic man.

Trust all is well with yourself and the other fine contributors.

The Prof.
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

Hello All

We have drafts in the dropbox and I have had a quick scan - looks promising. There will be edits added over the next couple of weeks - please remember that this a process of evolution to ensure the best possible result.

One point that has come up a couple of times - Arkwright has no title, no first name and no history prior to the Battle of Sandy Plain in 1869. He fulfils a specific role in the stories I write and edit, so don't be surprised if anything out of character is "moved" slightly.

Also if you are going to refer Rain, Speed and Steam - please listen to the Radio Play first
Steampunk Radio - Rain, Steam and Speed
, and if possible read Mist and Shadow, and A Visit from Dorian the Anarchist, both of which are in Steampunk Tales and online.

TTFN

Arkwright
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2012, 11:44:02 am »

I've had a bit of a hiccup here. Basically I had the draft mostly done when I received my new laptop. The plan for the old machine I used was to turn it into a linux piece which meant wiping the drives etc and starting from scratch. Sadly, the backup failed somehow without us noticing.

In short, I'll be re-writing the story (I remember it so it's not like I'm starting from scratch) on the laptop. However, it's a holiday weekend this weekend and I'm going to our beach house for said weekend so will not be able to re-start the story until Monday or Tuesday.

All apologies, frankly I feel pretty damn stupid. I hope this doesn't skew the plan as it stands.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2012, 08:46:42 am »

Hello all!

The end of January is upon us! I have had some submissions and I have had others explain delays.

If you have contacted me already - I look forward to your contribution when it arrives.

If you haven't submitted or contacted me can you please pm me and let me know where things stand.

TTFN

Arkwright
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2012, 12:50:51 pm »

Running ever-so-slightly late.  Should be done by the end of the week, even if I don't get it finished by tomorrow...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: