The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 04:24:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communal writing project 3 - Lost Souls of the Asylum  (Read 18251 times)
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2011, 10:33:56 am »

Just wondering - how realistic do things have to be? You know, is it that type of steampunk that is vaguely plausible or the type that uses 'aether' and other such things that are basically magic dressed up in cool looking cogs and levers?

Why dress up your magic?  I have openly included magic in Steampunk (though once with strong implications of 'sufficiently-advanced technology' admittedly) without anyone worrying too much.  The trick is just to understand the Victorian thinking on the supernatural and work with it; look at "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" (if you have a spare week and strong arms; that thing is a tome) for a good example of using magic within the Victorian ethos.  While not exclusively Steampunk, China Mieville also has a knack for non-fantasy (or perhaps urban fantasy) systems of magic.

Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.
NotHarvard
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2011, 10:49:23 am »

Why dress up your magic?  I have openly included magic in Steampunk (though once with strong implications of 'sufficiently-advanced technology' admittedly) without anyone worrying too much.

Mostly for internal consistency within this (if I manage to get PMs enabled quickly enough, anyway). But also because I tend to view steampunk as being very science oriented, albeit Wellsian psuedo science more than modern day scientific theory. It's all about the spirit of Science and Enginuity and that type of thing - complete with capitalisation. I mean, sure you can have unrealistic 'magical' elements to it, but the essential spirit of the thing is of invention and mechanics rather than anything else. That's my take on it anyway; feel free to disagree. Though possibly somewhere else rather than this thread for the sake of not clogging it up with irrelevant-ness.

I see the happy moron:
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I was a moron
Oh god! Perhaps I am.
Captain Ella Thorne
Gunner

MisaBuckley
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:29 am »

Victorians loved tales of mythology and the occult. Werewolf, vampire and ghost stories were hugely popular, not to mention the circus "curiosities" that would draw large crowds.

For me, magic and supernatural elements are as much a part of Steampunk as cogs and gears, because they capture the superstition of the era.
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2011, 11:25:14 am »

This volume specifically includes a story about magic (which I appear to be writing) and that implies that magic is okay.  At least one story in the previous book includes magic too, so this is nothing new.  To me, I prefer my steampunk magic to be of the semi-scientific variety; it follows rules, it can be explored through the scientific method and it serves to complement or shore up the advance of technology instead of ever being a viable alternative to steam and airships.  It probably works best, at least in the hands of humans, as a subtle art with subtle outcomes, a tool more than a bludgeon.

This is not to say that I feel 'vulgar' magic does not have its place, as many of you will know, but simply that magic of that sort is not the domain of mortal man and so never comes without a price.  I would think that making use of such magic is rarely good for the physical, mental or spiritual well-being of humans.  It is power that man was not meant to wield, after all...
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 12:58:20 pm »

I have the synopsis for The Jungle Of The Mind that Harvard has written and will forward it to you as soon as I can Arkwright

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 01:05:29 pm »

Hello all!

FIRST - If you have not already submitted a synopsis, I am sorry to say that the call for submissions is officially closed.

I am going to go through the remaining  pms and make sure that everyone is suitably acommodated, although I am worried that we are slightly over subscribed. I will keep you all posted on the outcome of this and I am determined not to turn away anyone who has already submitted a synopsis. I just have to juggle things to put it all together.

SECOND - neon-suntan and Herr Doktor, I will be pming you with a proposal. Soon. Really!

THIRD - Magic. My personal preference is that there should always be a degree of abiguity to magic set in "the real world". In BtA the scope of the book (all of history and all possible histories) allowed a more traditional or fantasy style of magic to be used on occasion, although the story arc deliberately obscured that. As duelist said - the subtle rather that the bludgen was preferred for first volume with "real" vampires and deluded (?) vampire hunters. I would like this volume to be similar, but that will come out of the link sections as much as the stories themselves. As far as technology is concerned, I am happy with supertech as long as it has a purpose. Science fiction is best when it is big and allegorical - the same should hold true for steampunk.

However - the above is not a decree. The writers for the volume are the creative minds and they will come up with their own work. But the debate itself is interesting. It also comes close to the churchyard encounter - surely the "wizards" (elitist and ethnocentric) would be in opposition to the Steampunks (anarchistic and culturally diverse). But that is a story for another day - and another volume of the Asylum series...

TTFN

Arkwright  

"I devote my life to two worthy goals: unmasking Dorian the Anarchist and ensuring absolute victory over the Fish People!"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 01:15:48 pm »

Has NotHarvard missed out then?
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »

Hello there!

On the grounds that you posted that you had it before I closed the call for submissions I will allow it.

Pm me the synopsis. I will go through all the pms and sort it all out and publish a list of who is doing what. There will have to be some changes of title etc...

I have made a proposal to a couple of old hands who were interested but hadn't put in synopsese. However, I think I am pretty much at capacity now with potentially four projects going ahead at once.

Apologies to anyone who hasn't made it this time, but there will be further volumes in future.

TTFN

Arkwright
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 02:26:27 pm »

Just wondering - how realistic do things have to be? You know, is it that type of steampunk that is vaguely plausible or the type that uses 'aether' and other such things that are basically magic dressed up in cool looking cogs and levers?

There's nothing in current thinking about quantum physics that makes "aether" impossible. It was a commonly-held theory well into the 20th Century. Einstein did not disprove its existence, just came up with an explanation for reality that didn't need aether to make things possible. If you want to find out more, look on the aetherweb for "quantum foam".

Seeing as all the stories are in the same universe I'm guessing realism is the way to go as things that are convenient plot devices (like Aether) can cause enormous plot holes in other people's stories...

Who says there's only one universe? ;-)

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2011, 02:29:11 pm »

I am going to go through the remaining  pms and make sure that everyone is suitably acommodated, although I am worried that we are slightly over subscribed.

TTFN

Arkwright 

Better over- than under-subscribed.

(Will get on with writing my chapter soon. Promise!)
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

ptliontamer
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 01:22:09 pm »

I'd like to try my hand at writing something but none of the posted bits resonated with me. I'll monitor here in case there is another plan or a different group

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2011, 01:37:09 pm »

Wilhelmina,

there's a Steampunk Writing Group on FaceBook, if you're on there. All welcome:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/147190255349294/
Captain Ella Thorne
Gunner

MisaBuckley
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2011, 01:36:07 pm »

Arkwright, did you get my PM?

I could really do with that short blurb back, if you still have it.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2011, 02:01:01 pm »

Captain Ella,

if you go into "My Messages" and look to the left of the screen, there's a choice between Inbox and outbox. Unless you've deleted it, the blurb you sent is probably still there in your Outbox.

Smiley

DrVesuvius
Deck Hand

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »

Tis now two weeks since we last heard anything from the redoubtable Mr Arkwright.
I fervently hope he is well and that rumours of his consumption by a passing pack of rabid velociraptors are, at the very least, somewhat premature.

Dr Vesuvius

Though I am wounded, I am not slain
I'll lay me down to bleed a while, then rise to fight again.
- The Ballad of Johnnie Armstrong
Be Splendid!  Go Play!
http://axisofnaughtiness.blogspot.com/ - my blog about returning to the wargaming hobby, with a heavy dose of Victorian Science Fiction.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:30 pm »

Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask but....

This is the thread for the 3rd volume but I can't seem to find that volume 2 is available yet?

Have I missed something?

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2011, 03:56:58 pm »

Good question.

It was due to be launched at The Asylum, but I couldn't go and have heard nothing about marketing yet, either.

There is a Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Asylum/158787830845291?ref=ts#!/pages/Beyond-the-Asylum-A-steampunk-compilation/248374488537437?sk=info )
- but the link to Arkwright's website doesn't offer the new volume, only the previous.

I think we're all on the tenterhooks together, Rockula.
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2011, 08:30:29 pm »

Hello all!

I have been down with a severe attack of Lurgi for the past week. I will sit down sometime this weekend with note pad, titles and synopses to get everything sorted into a definitive list.

The second volume was launched at the Asylum (quite successfully) and as soon as the details are confirmed with Nielsen (ISBN register) I will put it up on the website and hopefully get it up on Amazon for private sales at the very least. I also have to go through the E-version of volume 1 for publication and then send Volume 2 to be converted.

Sales of the first volume are on target, but I will be looking for opportunities to outlet both previous volumes. I can confirm that I will be at Whitby and the November Nocturne and I am looking for someone to take the first two to MCM Expo.

Plans are to launch Volume 3 at the Asylum 2012. To do this I need to get everything from the previous volumes cleared away so I have time to edit and manage the new stories comming in. It also helps if people meet the deadlines - which they mostly do.

I am looking forward to the stories that people have proposed. Just please remember that there has to be a significant character death to tie the story into the theme of the book.

TTFN

Arkwright
Mimsy Beaucoup
Zeppelin Captain

interests: Corsets, hats, shoes, parasols

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2011, 09:00:53 pm »

Looking forward to you getting back to me Smiley

Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2011, 10:25:12 pm »

The second volume was launched at the Asylum (quite successfully) and as soon as the details are confirmed with Nielsen (ISBN register) I will put it up on the website and hopefully get it up on Amazon for private sales at the very least. I also have to go through the E-version of volume 1 for publication and then send Volume 2 to be converted.

Arkwright

Hope you're feeling better, Sir.

Do give me a yell if the Nielsen database gives you any problems - not sure if you've seen it since the last major update.

Chrystal
DrVesuvius
Deck Hand

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:19 am »

Sincere commiserations Mr Arkright, sir.  Them Lurgis can be fiendish wee buggers once they get their claws into you.

Best wishes for a speedy return to full health.

Dr Vesuvius
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:06 pm »

Hello All

After a marathon effort I have compiled a list of titles and contributors.

A life worth living - Captain Ella Thorne
The collector - Lady Chrystal
One piece at a time - SteamBlast Mary
The Royston Caves - Mimsy Beaucoup
The jungle of the mind – DrVesuvius
Yesterday's Man - Professor Hesketh
Where there is smoke - The Corsair
The Box - Septimus Grey
When the moon is dark - WickedPenguin
The death of Dr Grace - MWBailey
Fire and Ice - Outflyer_Calliope
The thickness of a shadow - Mortim
The eye of the believer – Duellist
A Room for Improvement - Simon Satori
The Hunter in the shadows – NotHarvard
Forbidden Knowledge - ScytheKnight

As you can see, I have had to add a couple of titles to ensure that everyone was included. However, unless we have discussed it by pm, the synopsis is accepted as submitted.

Have fun with your writing and I look forward to reading your contributions.

TTFN

Arkwright
Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer

Ashamed by my own magnificence

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2011, 11:49:49 am »

*Bump*

I think I missed the date for the first draft deadline... and my eyes are unable to find it in the thread...

never mind just found it  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:53:01 am by Outflyer_Calliope » Logged

A beautiful piece of nonsense...
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2011, 12:24:26 pm »

Exams are over and work can begin for me. I hope I don't cut this too fine...
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »

Let me have chapters or whole book for proofing as and when ,as before.
Ideally not late April as I will be busy with the May elections.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: