The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:27:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Elements in upcoming M:tG Sets  (Read 2100 times)
Wandering Scholar
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

...but you can call me Matt

« on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:55 am »

Not sure how many here play Magic: the Gathering, a few I suspect Wink Anyway, I thought I'd bring attention to a few cards from future sets that have a steamy theme (for those of you who don't play I thought you'd at least like to see the art and flavour text Smiley )

The next set coming out, Innistrad, has a classic horror theme and there are more than a few cards based on the Mad Scientist (think Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, e.t.c). More will undoubtedly be revealed but for now there are these:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bigger artwork images of Laboratory Maniac, Deranged Assistant and Rooftop Storm:

Finally, the block after Innistrad (so next year) is supposedly a return to Ravnica and hopefully the Izzet guild, but in the meantime there is artwork for an Izzet Planeswalker that has been extracted from the 'Duels of the Planeswalkers' game:

Enjoy Smiley

"The more I learn about the laws of science the more I want to break them."

Mwa-Hah-Hah-HA! Yes, I am a Mad Scientist! Call us Sparky, Mad boys, heck call us that Bugger who lives up on the Hill, but what ever you call us We have the power of SCIENCE! Sure sometimes we hit the occasional hitch in our plans (like a mob of villagers with pitchforks) but do we let that stop us? Of course not! There is SCIENCE! to be done and there will always be SCIENCE! to do.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:41:04 pm »

I've never gotten into playing Magic, but I've always loved the artwork.

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Jarrett
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Makes everything pink by osmosis

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:04:55 am »

Usually I stick to casual play in MtG but with the new set I'm seriously thinking about getting into Standard play again.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:12:58 am »

I'm going to say something and then let's pretend I never said it.  I mean it, I hate Magic with an absolute passion bordering on obsession.  With good reason on the personal level, but perhaps edging toward generalizations.  At any rate, forget this next part: 
  Ok yeah, did I ever tell you all about the time I lost a girlfriend to a kid who ended up playing Magic the whole time he was with her?  Grrrrrrrr....

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:59:17 pm »

yeah, did I ever tell you all about the time I lost a girlfriend to a kid who ended up playing Magic the whole time he was with her?  Grrrrrrrr....
Sounds like less of a "loss" and more of a "lucky dodge", but that's just my limited opinion.

- Maximilian
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:13:17 pm »

yeah, did I ever tell you all about the time I lost a girlfriend to a kid who ended up playing Magic the whole time he was with her?  Grrrrrrrr....
Sounds like less of a "loss" and more of a "lucky dodge", but that's just my limited opinion.

I wish it was.  Truthfully afterward when she told me, I was shocked.  He looked the part of and even joined a fraternity.  The guy on the surface seemed cool to plenty of people.  He was not the type you'd suspect.  (And before anyone gets angry at the "cool" part, I must point out that I use "cool" in the negative sense as in stereotypical frat boy cool, which at least on that point he met my expectations when he started controlling her life.)

Edit:  Wait a second Captain, are we insulting people who play Magic?  That is mean!  I'm sure the Magic players on BG are nice, intelligent people and not the sort that I met in college.  (In fact the typical magic-player where I went to college was about as ruthless and as mean as any other clique.  When I was in high school they were the nice people, in college it was like a time for revenge.  Needless to say I left a lot of my friends after awhile because although I was a womanizer and a bit of an a-hole, I could not stand the lack of respect they showed toward people.) 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:17:52 pm by D.Oakes » Logged
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:37:46 pm »

*nervous twitch*

*sends over LYM to convince him that Brass Goggles is cool now, Magic players are here*

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 07:39:17 pm »

*nervous twitch*

*sends over LYM to convince him that Brass Goggles is cool now, Magic players are here*

Do not let him read what the Captain and I have said.   Grin
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:55 pm »

Wait a second Captain, are we insulting people who play Magic?
Not at all... Never even occured to me, in fact.
I was doing more of a supportive "if she didn't appreciate you, you are better off" kind of thing.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:36:15 pm »

Wait a second Captain, are we insulting people who play Magic?
Not at all... Never even occured to me, in fact.
I was doing more of a supportive "if she didn't appreciate you, you are better off" kind of thing.

Like I kind of alluded to, at the time I was quite an a-hole.  A year and a half of her and I not talking since I called her up and quoted Mall Rats by saying, "HE LOOKS LIKE A DATE RAPIST!"  she showed up at my second solo art exhibit.  She then messaged me and we started talking again and that is heading on a year of her and I talking for hours every day.  She is the one who in that year and a half, even while dating other people, I'd sit in the bar and say, "Dang, I miss her, I really screwed that up." 
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 07:33:02 pm »

There is an expansion set coming out which is about Kaladesh. A plane where instead of magic, the people use a type of aether-powered technology. You can see an example here:

Some of the cards can be seen on io9s website:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-look-at-the-new-cards-in-magic-the-gatherings-next-b-1786621580
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:37:58 pm by Atterton » Logged

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: