The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:05:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nautilamp, the datasaver  (Read 957 times)
20000leagues
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: September 01, 2011, 03:09:48 pm »

Dear all,

Here's the Nautilamp, a Jules Verne inspired brass desk lamp that has the capacity to "store" data and keep little secrets... It is 100% home made and I like it to be fair.

But what makes it a data saver? there's a hidden capsule on the top of the structure that contains a 8GB memory key  Wink

It is perfectly removable as it is attached to the lamp with a really strong magnet... so you can take it with you and then put it back in one click!

The "datasaver" capsule, that is also waterproof!

The "datasaver" opened

Have a nice day, and may the steam be with you!

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:01 pm »

Very nice.  One question though- would not the magnet wipe the data off the stick?

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
elShoggotho
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:46 pm »

Very nice.  One question though- would not the magnet wipe the data off the stick?
False assumption. Flash drives don't use magnetic storage.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:13:41 pm by elShoggotho » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:22:36 pm »

Aah.  My ignorance of modern computers sees me come to grief once again  Undecided 

Again, a very, very nice lamp though.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:24:21 pm »

My only thought was that the brass of the top needs a little more weathering around the front. However, it's a fantastic idea, and the lamp itself is great! The little capsule is very clever as well, and I like it a lot!
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
20000leagues
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 03:29:02 pm »

Thank you very much!!! Thats very encouraging!!! I would like to age it as well... I used "patina paste" in some area, I like the result but I might add a bit of rust on it  Smiley

Now I need to steampunk a usb key for the capsule! I love how magnets can make magical things Smiley
Gozdom
Snr. Officer
Hungary Hungary

Gravatar

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:19:12 pm »

Very good job indeed. Could you post the components used? Where is the main part of the shade from?
As for aging, a simple ammonia fuming may be the best solution as it applies itself organically thus eliminating the problems coming from pastes and others. On the other hand, that would require a fairly big container with this lamp.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:06:39 am by Gozdom » Logged

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 11:42:13 pm »

How large is the inner diameter of the capsule?  If large enough you can consider a suitable USB method such as you can see done by others in the forum.  If not maybe an antique key modified with a micro USB flash drive...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:10:20 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:25:41 am »

I love it

barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:37:17 am »

I'm liking it too!

*Relentless Optimystic *
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 05:46:40 am »

False assumption. Flash drives don't use magnetic storage.

So it's not a danger until the case magnetizes and get to close to the PC?

Nice design on the lamp, is the barometer functional? (If I am in fact correct in assuming it is such)

20000leagues
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 02:52:29 pm »

Thank you all!

The components are from different horizons... the shade is actually... a piece of muffler found on my car park, I used flat marbles for decoration, as well as little crystals and the capsule is made from pipes found at the plumbery section of my local DIY store, I also used copper paint and pieces of metal from a broken vaccum cleaner ( plenty of nice components in those!!!! so if you see one, get it!)

I really love the idea of using an actual key for the USB flash drive!!! I think I will try that!! The container is pretty big so it should be fine Smiley

The case itself is not magnetized, the magnet is integrated to the sculpture, so it is harmless for a PC, and the barometer is fully functional.

Grin

VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 05:33:42 am »

The case itself is not magnetized, the magnet is integrated to the sculpture, so it is harmless for a PC, and the barometer is fully functional.

I think you missed my point, leaving metal on a magnet can make it into a magnet, a weaker one, but still a magnet.

I love that the barometer is functional, it really awesome when something that makes a piece look cooler, functions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: