The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:17:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies you wish would be made  (Read 5668 times)
Dangerdean
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 10:04:38 pm »

Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

This!

Madcap Dan Devonshire: Rogue, itinerant airship captain, and champion beard grower.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
    H. L. Mencken
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 11:01:46 pm »

HMMMM, just a few:

The Ballard of Halo Jones.

Rouge Trooper.

Fish Police.

annnnd finally

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers - Hunter S Thompson as Freewheelin Frankin, John Belushi as Fat Freddy and maybe Emo Phillips as Phineas (TBH, Phineas always give me "trouble" to cast, any suggestions??)

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Dangerdean
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 11:23:23 pm »

Not steampunk, but I'd love to see Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, or some other Takeshi Kovacs-based project filmed.

There's been rumours of this, but nothing substantial that I've seen.

In terms of Victorian and steam esthetic, I think a lot of fun could be had with Philip Pullman's Sally Lockhart books.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 11:49:09 pm »

Whitechapel Gods as a BBC TV series.

PKD's "The Man Who Japed" with Jon Stewart as the lead

A better of version of Silk by Alessandro Baricco than the the woeful 2007 adaptation

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Khem Caigan
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 01:08:19 am »

Roger Zelazny's Isle of the Dead, and his Lord of Light.

Heck, while we're wishing, let's just toss in the entire
Amber series while we're at it!

"Let us create vessels and sails fashioned for the heavenly Æther, for there
will be plenty of people who do not shrink from the vastness of space."
~ Johannes Kepler, letter to Galileo Galilei, 1609.
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 08:34:05 pm »

Dangerdean - Sally Lockheart has been done on TV, with Billie Piper in the title role (and Matt Smith in another part!)

Steampunk adventure featuring Manchester's Chinatown is now available on Smashwords!
The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare by Lesley Arrowsmith
Dangerdean
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 02:39:41 am »

Dangerdean - Sally Lockheart has been done on TV, with Billie Piper in the title role (and Matt Smith in another part!)

I'll have to look for that! Thanks!
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 09:04:16 am »

I see that the release date for War of the Worlds: Goliath has been pushed back to 2012.

http://www.wotw-goliath.com/video_trailer.html

I must say I'm rather looking forward to this one. I just hope they complete before I turn to rust.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 10:30:46 am »

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers - Hunter S Thompson as Freewheelin Frankin, John Belushi as Fat Freddy and maybe Emo Phillips as Phineas (TBH, Phineas always give me "trouble" to cast, any suggestions??)

Have you seen
this?

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Dave Leppo
Snr. Officer

fabricateur

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 12:36:40 pm »

The Monkey Wrench Gang
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 03:33:39 pm »

My vote: A full remake of LoEG instead of LXG, although I suppose we'll have to wait until Mr Moore is in a rotatory grave and/or Hell has its' long-anticipated cold-snap..

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Adventures Darling
Deck Hand

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 06:26:54 pm »

"Keys to the Kingdom" series.
"Airborne"
"Larklight" series  Yeah, it would probably be a kiddie movie, but why not.
"Mortal Engines"/"Fever Crumb" series. While we're on the subject of Philip Reeve.
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 02:07:56 am »

Gene Wolfe's "The Shadow of the Torturer" ( in fact all 4 books)

WickedPenguin
Snr. Officer

Exploring "What if?" stories in music and words.

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »

Not steampunk, but I'd love to see Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, or some other Takeshi Kovacs-based project filmed.

YES. This.

The man is a visceral writer.

andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 08:33:54 pm »

The other month I read the biography of Prince Rupert The Last Cavalier by Charles Spencer. I must say this guy was fascinating. He commanded the cavalry for King Charles I, went into exile after the English Civil War, became a mercenary and fought with the French army, became a privateer/pirate commanding a fleet as Admiral in the name of the monarch during the Protectorate government, returned to England with Charles II and lived in Windsor castle where he indulged in his hobbies of science and experimentation as he commanded the Royal Navy. His mother Princess Elizabeth (Charles I's sister) is said to have had a secret love life with William Craven, the Earl of Craven, a distant ancestor of mine.

Timothy Dalton played as Prince Rupert in the film 'Cromwell'. I would love to see a film or even a series like 'Rome' based on the last Cavalier. That would be superb aslong as it is done right!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:37:20 pm by andrew craven » Logged
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral

Adventurer & Scholar

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2011, 11:53:32 pm »

My vote: A full remake of LoEG instead of LXG,
While I sympathize with the people who want a good period Martian Invasion film, I've always harbored a secret jealousy of those lucky people in some parallel universe that got to see LXG 2: War of the Worlds. Their version of the first one was probably a bit better, though.

although I suppose we'll have to wait until Mr Moore is in a rotatory grave and/or Hell has its' long-anticipated cold-snap..
Ha ha.  Cheesy

"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel
Mortim
Gunner

Writer. Theorist. Hat-wearer

Mortim
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 11:59:19 pm »

"Keys to the Kingdom" series.
"Airborne"
"Larklight" series  Yeah, it would probably be a kiddie movie, but why not.
"Mortal Engines"/"Fever Crumb" series. While we're on the subject of Philip Reeve.

I would dearly, dearly love to see Mortal Engines on the silver screen.

Unfortunately you only have to look at 'The Golden Compass/Northern Lights' to see what would happen. It would be diluted and polluted with that unshakeable hollywood feeling.

Still, this is fantasy right, and I can picture what it COULD look like, and it looks good indeed.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 12:38:16 pm »

O.k. Folks! Here's an idea...

A totally NEW Steampunk movie with an original script NOT based on any previous work and with a big enough budget to do the shiny machines justice. Preferably with actual machines not CGI add-ons.
 Also, an original soundtrack composed for the purpose and not comprised of random selections from the latest popular artists.

Oh, and crowd scenes that require all of us as extras would be nice. Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Professor Ross
Snr. Officer

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 01:32:54 pm »

Beaufighters in the Night: 417th Night Fighter Squadron USAAF

Not really steampunk, but it would (if done properly) make an excellent movie.

dixi
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 01:53:37 pm »

I think you are on to something, Rockula. First off, a movie based on a book or comic is bound to be underappreciated by viewers who are familiar with said book/comic. What goes on inside your mind is nothing compaired to what they can produce on screen.
Actual machines can be done with lower budget than CGI add-ons. The use of puppets, props and camera angle should return on screen. Nowadays every nerd with a computer can make a CGI (no offence to the CGI makers amongst us).
Nothing beats a soundtrack that is composed for the movie. And vice versa. IMHO "Star Wars" is a good example, as is "ones upon a time in the west"
Crowd scenes by Brass Gogglers would be a great idea.
For actors I'd say: Christopher Lloyd as Johnny Depp's dad. (small cameo for Michael J. Fox as Johnny's neighbour) League of STEAM as the good guys who help Johnny Depp with his quest. Stephen Tyler from Aerosmith as the bad guy. With a lot of Steampunk machines and a bunch of scary puppets as Stephen's helpers. I need a damsel in distress, but I can't think of a suitable one.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 02:05:13 pm »

Despite an earlier post about WWII films, this type of film does not seem to be made anymore. I am not sure what is so significant about 417th although a look at Wiki showed a very busy and no doubt very significant contribution as they moved through UK, North Africa, mainland Europe in less than 3 momentous years. However, there does not seem to be any landmark events like 617 (Operation Chastise) and 140 Wing (squadrons 464, 487 and 21 - Operation Jericho) that the squadron is remembered for, although it is quite likely that I have just not heard about it. A major problem is the almost complete lack of Bristol Beaufighters and Northrop Black Widows still airworthy and the main characters for me in these kinds of movies are the aircraft! Mock ups could be made at enormous cost but without massive, spluttery, flame spitting radial engines, it just wouldn't be the same..
I know that this is not the point of this thread but I would like to know of 417th's exploits if they have passed the history books by.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 08:51:54 pm »

I think you are on to something, Rockula. First off, a movie based on a book or comic is bound to be underappreciated by viewers who are familiar with said book/comic...

I would say that Christopher Lee or some other classically trained Actor/tress would be a must have for his versatility and to draw in interest.
Then find talented amateur Actors/Actresses,(not just steampunks, but some of them should be) who unlike many 'big' names, will still put some effort into actually acting. A good amount of known steampunks should be given cameos, and lots of steampunk extras as already mentioned.  Smiley

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 10:44:02 pm »

I have really enjoyed the Erast Fandorin books, written by Boris Akunin. I think they would make a great series of TV films. It would run for years on ITV3!
Professor Ross
Snr. Officer

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 03:48:15 pm »

Despite an earlier post about WWII films, this type of film does not seem to be made anymore. I am not sure what is so significant about 417th although a look at Wiki showed a very busy and no doubt very significant contribution as they moved through UK, North Africa, mainland Europe in less than 3 momentous years. However, there does not seem to be any landmark events like 617 (Operation Chastise) and 140 Wing (squadrons 464, 487 and 21 - Operation Jericho) that the squadron is remembered for, although it is quite likely that I have just not heard about it. A major problem is the almost complete lack of Bristol Beaufighters and Northrop Black Widows still airworthy and the main characters for me in these kinds of movies are the aircraft! Mock ups could be made at enormous cost but without massive, spluttery, flame spitting radial engines, it just wouldn't be the same..
I know that this is not the point of this thread but I would like to know of 417th's exploits if they have passed the history books by.

It's not that there's anything particularly significant about the 417th. It's just a fascinating squadron history, by far the most interesting I've read thus far.

But more than that, it gives a look into the world of nighttime aerial combat during the war, and that is something  that's been largely overlooked.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 04:10:51 pm »

I think you are on something, Rockula

Fixed that for you, BB  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: