The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 11:57:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies you wish would be made  (Read 5664 times)
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« on: August 13, 2011, 10:09:02 pm »

Pretty self explanatory.

This not a thread about making movies, or talking about movies that have already been made (even if they aren't yet in theaters), this is a thread for discussing preexisting works of fiction you wish would be made into movies, as well as your independent movie ideas that will probably never be made. They don't necessarily have to involve retrofuturism (steam or otherwise) but it is recommended. Non-steampunk (or dieselpunk, or clock punk, or cyberpunk, or whatever it may be) ideas are welcome here as well, however.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:19:29 pm »

Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 10:12:34 pm »

Mervyn Peake's Captain Slaughterboard.

For more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Slaughterboard_Drops_Anchor

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:28:06 pm »

The Queen Victoria/Emily Pankhurst girl-on-girl novelty flipbook.  Grin

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:36 pm »

The 2001 remake in which the Tapir brains the Chimp.

Dr Stangelove with the custard pie fight ending.

Laurel and Hardy in 'Way Out Wild Wild West.'

'Metropolis-The Musical.'

More episodes of the 'Rawlinson End' stories.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:48:39 pm »

Thursday Next...novels all of them, much better than that Potter character...

Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:51:52 pm »

More episodes of the 'Rawlinson End' stories.

Ah, Sir Henry. "Hand me my pistol, I'll see if I can't bring the blighter down in the lake..."
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:35:12 pm »

Or even remakes.  At work when we were bored we used to play the "John Carpenter" game.  That is, match the most unliklest director to a film project.  It started with John Carpenter's version of Titanic, starring Kurt Russell and Jamie-Lee Curtis.  I have a feeling we moved on to Sergio Leone's Pride and Prejudice and Ken Loach's The Thing.  Which brought us back to John Carpenter and we went back to work.

But a proper make of our beloved Wells classics.  I grew up on them and never have they been done proper justice.  Wouldn't be able to flog the destruction of Woking to the Americans, I suppose.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 07:38:29 pm »

The Boondock Saints...2 Irish vigilantes, I love that movie.  I love cats, but, "IS IT DEAD!?"  Grin  Except as a steampunk movie of course.  (I just realized I did not add that part.  I am thinking faster than I can type.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:41:32 pm by D.Oakes » Logged

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Seaton Begg
Snr. Officer

Anarcho-Dadaist

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »

Illuminatus!

The Dancers at the End of Time

We shall bewilder the masses with seams in our trousers that could cut paper, trilbies angled so rakishly that traffic comes to a standstill; and by refusing the bland, watery substances that are foisted upon us by faceless corporations, we shall bring the establishment to its knees.
Amos Farrier
Gunner

Tailcoats aren't just for evenings!

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:09:09 pm »

Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:35 pm »

The Matthew Hawkwood books by James McGee, 'Ratcatcher', 'Resurrectionist'..'Rapscallion' and 'Rebellion'

Think 'Sharpe' meets 'James Bond' in Regency England.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:34:00 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »

An accurate, Victorian specific, well acted version of 'War Of The Worlds'.
Jonathan Green's 'Ulysses Quicksilver' novels.
An 'Adele Blanc-Sec' sequel (which is a possibility).
Arthur C. Clarke's '2061' and '3001'.
The other 'Man With No Name' books in the 'Spaghetti Western' style.
Sequels to Besson's 'La Femme Nikita' and 'Leon; The Professional'.
A really, really violent version of 'The Punisher'.
'Ginger Snaps IV'.
'God Emperor of Dune'

The wishlist is endless.

Oh, and no more spandex super heroes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:48:58 pm by Rockula » Logged

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »

An accurate, Victorian specific, well acted version of 'War Of The Worlds'.

Hmm, not asking much, are you?

Arthur C. Clarke's '2061' and '3001'.
'God Emperor of Dune'

Agreed. Preferably the same team who did the SciFi Channel versions of Dune, Messiah and Children of...

- but no further down the Dune books. God Emperor should have been the end.

(This thread is far too intriguing...)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:43 pm »

The Beast Of Berkeley Square. One of the scariest ghost stories I've ever read. Not least of all because it was supposedly based on true events.

http://americanmonsters.com/site/2010/01/nameless-thing-of-berkeley-square-england/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:32:04 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 02:20:08 pm »

Like Professor Hesketh and Rockula, I have to put in a vote for a turn of the century (19th/20th) set production of War of the Worlds.
Although, because of the scale nd the format of the book, it woud probably make a better television serial.
We now have thge technology to make it possible anbd affordable, so why not?
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 02:49:18 pm »

Like Professor Hesketh and Rockula, I have to put in a vote for a turn of the century (19th/20th) set production of War of the Worlds.
Although, because of the scale nd the format of the book, it woud probably make a better television serial.
We now have thge technology to make it possible anbd affordable, so why not?

I agree, it could be done and I think we're unanimous that it should be done. But the money will only be made available if it's seen to have mass appeal. So it has to be set in the US and star at least one well-known Hollywood actor. It's a lovely thought...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »

The Peshawar Lancers would make a pretty good film, if the appendix were to become a prologue so the setting would then make sense.

The Difference Engine has a couple of good money shots but I doubt it could be turned into a film that was both 'good' and 'under 14 hours in length'. 

Echo the comments re a good, 'proper' version of WOTW.  I want to see the Battle of the Blackwater re-enacted in something a bit more impressive than my bathtub Cheesy

Arthur Conan Doyle's The Poison Belt could make a very good claustrophobic Victorian-era apocalyptic movie too... 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 03:36:39 pm »

I agree, it could be done and I think we're unanimous that it should be done. But the money will only be made available if it's seen to have mass appeal. So it has to be set in the US and star at least one well-known Hollywood actor. It's a lovely thought...

I have seen the one 'period authentic' version on DVD with all the correct British settings and original dialogue from the book. Unfortunately it was mostly badly acted with atrocious accents and had terrible, terrible CGI effects knocked out on a home computer. But if someone with a bit of cash took it as a template......
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 04:45:21 pm »

DiscWorld done in Pixar-type animation.
Like 'Shrek' (visually)or 'Up'.

It wouldn't be necessary to mangle the story, then.

The Anne McCaffery DragonRiders of Pern Series.

*Relentless Optimystic *
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 04:59:32 pm »

I have seen the one 'period authentic' version on DVD with all the correct British settings and original dialogue from the book. Unfortunately it was mostly badly acted with atrocious accents and had terrible, terrible CGI effects knocked out on a home computer. But if someone with a bit of cash took it as a template......

The Pendragon production of War of the Worlds was truly awful. The producer/writer made no attempt to adapt the book for film, insted, opting to film the book word for word. So, what in the book was a throwaway paragraph like (I praphrase here, because I cannot remember the exact words or characters)
"In the evening, I walked to Ogivys house, but he was not in, so I returned home to a light supper."

Was depicted as a long walk down country lanes, arriving at the house, knocking on the door, waiting, walking back down the same lanes, entering his house, and eating a meal.
Five or six minutes of screentime wasted on an irrelevence.

The primative CGI was used gratuitosly, there was a scene where the character was sitting in front of a plain wall, that was for some reason computer generated on greenscreen. And who can forget the amazingly unconvincing CGI horses? though real horses had been used elsewhere in the film in less featured positions.
The actress who played the narrators wife was so bad that I foind myself cringing when she appeared in a photograph. But it subsiquently turned out that she was one of the films producers, which may explain the casting.
The man who made this film claimed to have had an $8 million budget, but if he did, none of it found its way onto the screen.
By comparison, the Asylum films production of War of the worlds, made the same year, whilst being no mastepiece, had a B list named cast, and reasonable CGI aliens on a budget of less than half a million dollars.

You can probably tell, I am not a fan

I too would like to see a Dragonriders movie. There was a TV series proposed, and the pilot almost filmed, in 2002, but it never made it to our screens, because Warner brothers wanted changes that made the world of Pern unrecognisable to readers of the books. The writer and producer, Ronald D Moore, being a fan of the books shelved the project
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:33:58 pm by Mr Addams » Logged
B.Greco
Officer

Analytical and Difference Engine Enthusiast

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 04:11:52 pm »

DiscWorld done in Pixar-type animation.
Like 'Shrek' (visually)or 'Up'.

It wouldn't be necessary to mangle the story, then.

The Anne McCaffery DragonRiders of Pern Series.

Some Discworld movies have been made, not fully cgi like pixar, but as a fan of the series I enjoyed them. Whoever they had as Mr.Teatime was brilliant.

The hand is healed, but the neat little bump that moves when I use my index finger remains.

Please visit http://www.abstrata.webs.com to check out my steam/fantasy tabletop rpg.

"Cogito ergo sum" - Descartes
"Carpe diem" - Horace
"Meus tergum vulnero" - Bryon Greco
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 07:49:55 pm »

Some Discworld movies have been made, not fully cgi like pixar, but as a fan of the series I enjoyed them. Whoever they had as Mr.Teatime was brilliant.

Yes, I've seen them.
He *WAS*  delightfully hateful
and the woman who played Susan was great.
Charles Dance was BRILLIANT as Lord Vetinari,
but ...

I think there's an 'animated' quality to the Discworld,
and things like the golems and trolls
would work better in the animated dimensions.

Then they wouldn't have to butcher the storyline.

I'm sorry but the golem in 'Going Postal'
LOOKED like a foam rubber man.
It's SUPPOSED to look like a gingerbread man made of pottery
remember?

Was very disappointed in those aspects.

The scenery, sets, props were INCREDIBLE

The clacks
far beyond anything I'd imagined
and steamy looking as well!

But the movement of the storyline
and the 'endearment' value /flavor
of the DW was lost   (to me)
by the choppy/unfamiliar storyline
and some cheezy special effects.

As if they chose to avoid parts of the story
becauue then couldnt afford the effects (cgi)

With an animated story
that isn't a problem.

And this fellow =-
should be the one to art direct it:

http://www.vademecum-dm.com/galeries.php?cat=simonetti

and this chap should be the executive director:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001392/

Just sayin.

LMAO!
Sorry - obviously, I've spent some time thinking about this.

With animation -
actors can age and not detract from the visual.
(you wouldn't have to rush and get all the books done at once)

stunts and comedic exaggerations are part of the value of the medium.
(people squash flat and pop right back up)
no matter how great the cgi-
that still just ...doesn't work with a human actor.

The story can be told CLOSELY to the actual written work
(including the footnotes which are a major part of the charm of DW)
the rythm, the flow, and the multidirectional unfolding of the story
and in some books , the 'unraveling' of the story
can be preserved.

bla bla bla who cares, right?

apologies.

crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »

I agree with The Dragonriders of Pern Series
Also, a fun little comedy TV Series could be made from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Also, my favorite character depictions are always the ones where they haven't been given the 'Hollywood Gloss' Treatment, in other words, where the characters (especially the main) are played by actors that are much more attractive than they are in the book. The acting is always better when the actor/tress doesn't think they can get away with pouting air-headedly at the screen.

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 08:32:42 pm »

I would love to see Scot Westerfeld's 'Leviathen' made into a movie most certainly.

Cherie Priest's 'Boneshaker' would make an excellent movie too. I believe this one would be much better as a movie than the novel itself.

I would love to see a remake of Fritz Lang's silent movie 'Frau Im Monde' (Woman in the Moon). Perhaps a CGI animation or even a traditional Walt Disney animation of it would be very good. I mean the film is very much a love story which is typical in Walt Disney animated movies.

When it comes to war films and historical documentaries, my main criticism there is that world war 2 is almost always the soul subject. Perhaps this is me getting tired of seeing them. Too much of the previous world war goes unmentioned which doesnt reinforce the knowledge of seeing how world war 2 panned out in the way it did and with what the Nazis got upto.
 Therefore, a war film about the first tanks would be very interesting. I even have an action sequence I have invented in my mind where the song 'Its a Long Way to Tipparary' is played in Edwardian style.  

Another book, a war book, that would be immmense to see as a film is Bernard Cornwell's 'Sharpe's Waterloo'. Of course this was made into a TV adaptation with Sean Bean and of course theres that Russian film 'Waterloo' that stars Rod Steiger and Christoper Plummer. But 'Sharpe's Waterloo' is one epic book to read. Action packed, intune with the reality of war of the times and is very close to the history of how the battle went. I dont believe the TV adaptation does it justice. I dont think Sean Bean should be Richard Sharpe this time as he's getting old. I think they should go back to the original character description from the books before the TV adaptations were made. Aparantly Sharpe was not a Yorkshireman and had dark hair...even Paddy Harper had ginger hair as opposed to Daragh o'Malley's black Irish curls.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:35:35 pm by andrew craven » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: