The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 05:47:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk to me about Crimson Skies  (Read 790 times)
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« on: August 07, 2011, 09:23:19 pm »

Not steampunk, but definately retrofuturism/ alternate history. "Dieselpunk", I guess.

I've only very recently discovered the world of Crimson Skies, but I immediately took a liking to it. I want to learn more about it and discuss it with anyone on this forum who also enjoys it.

P.S.

Maybe there could even be a "Crimson Skies" movie some day about Nathan Zachary and the Fortune Hunters. What fun!
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:55:23 pm »

ah what an excellent game and a damned good universe to play in, I own the pc game, I bought an xbox just to play the second game and I own all the books for the table top game.
No other setting I know sums up the total Age of Adventure feeling, flying about in implausible planes shooting down airships.
Just great!

TTFN

Gunner

PS where do you think the airships for my signature came from 

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:46:35 am »

Can you tell me about the characters and stuff? I understand the premise but not the rest of it. I want to understand because "Crimson Skies" seems like a fascinating universe.
Septimus Holrych
Gunner

Intrepid Explorer

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:21:25 am »

That game was pure awesome  Grin

I think the intro is a good summary of whats going on:

Crimson Skies PC Intro Movie

In the game there were lots of cool audio "mission briefings" in Nathan Zachary's Errol Flynn voice ("Let's get one thing straight, sister: Errol Flynn pretends to be me, not the other way around."), and other little pictures in a scrapbook that you could unlock by doing different non-mission critical stunts. I've still got my copy actually, I'll see if I can dig it out later and post pictures.

The game doesn't have a cynical bone in its body, I think that's why its so much fun.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:45:26 pm by Septimus Holrych » Logged

How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:37:27 am »

Can you tell me about the characters and stuff? I understand the premise but not the rest of it. I want to understand because "Crimson Skies" seems like a fascinating universe.

I think the intro vid says it all, you can pick up the pc & xbox games for £5 and you can usually get some of the boardgame books on ebay though they're all out of print now so I dont know about the cost.

As for the characters, everyones a hero, even the bad guys, just think of any of the characters from The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom (has a short scene with actual air pirates) & Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:51:26 am »

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with any of those other works you mentioned. What I kind of was looking for was like a short bio of each of the major characters (What are their backgrounds and personalities like?).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:55:38 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:20:41 am »

This kind of thing, its from the old crimsonskiesuniverse.com website which you can find on the waybackmachine.org or you can pm me with your email and I'll email you the .htm files for the pilot bios
-----------------------------------------
Comrade Aaron "Easter" Whittaker

A native of southern Kansas, Aaron Whittaker wanted nothing more out of life than a modest living and a family of his own. He inherited his family's farm at age twenty-two, after his parents died in a fire, but faced bankruptcy a year later thanks to the Crash of 1929.

Using the meager proceeds from the sale of the farm, he started a ranch in northeastern Oklahoma. Drought plagued the ranch initially, but the final blow was delivered from the air: an unidentified air patrol used Whittaker's animals and home for target practice, shattering his ranch, killing his wife, and destroying his dreams. Whittaker claims the pilots were Texas Rangers, though this has not been proven.

Regardless, Whittaker repaired one of the few pieces of equipment he'd saved from the farm—an old, under-powered cropduster—and outfitted it with armor and a pair of machine guns. He attacked Texas Rangers wherever he could find them, launching a one-man vendetta against his enemies for six months. His attacks did little more than annoy the Rangers, and soon Whittaker found himself penniless and nearly starving, with the Texas Rangers hunting him. "Marshal" Bill Redmann, an ex-Ranger turned mercenary and pirate leader, found Whittaker and offered him a real chance at "justice against Texas."

Redmann improved Whittaker's plane—the Avenging Amy—though he kept his new pilot on a short leash. Whittaker accompanied Redmann's gang on several sorties against Republic of Texas and Confederation of Dixie shipping.

Whittaker soon realized that Redmann's idea of justice was worse than the atrocities that had been inflicted on his home and family. Aaron Whittaker is one of the few pilots to quit Redmann's band and live. Flying north (into the People's Collective) for as long as his money and his plane held out, he reached an airfield in Omaha, where he applied for a position as a mechanic. The local militia commander, testing the young pilot, was amazed at how well Whittaker could handle his beat-up old cropduster. Instead of a mechanic's position, Aaron Whittaker was offered training on a patched-together PR-1 Defender. In his first battle, defending a grain zeppelin from Lakota renegades, Whittaker tore into the opposing squadron with skill born in his desperate days of flying an inadequate aircraft against better-trained men and women.

He put the PR-1 through paces even hardened veterans had never attempted, claiming three "kills" and an assist. That pattern repeated itself over the next several years, as Whittaker pulled out all the stops in defending his new home. Though the People's Collective generally disapproves of pilot nicknames (believing that all men are equal comrades under the Collective's laws) they occasionally allow a commanding officer to bestow such a distinction. His superiors dubbed Whittaker "Easter" after his twentieth kill, commenting that Whittaker had shown "more surprises than a child's Easter basket. And certainly he's walked his way out of several graves up there. Our Savior watches over us all, but it seems He takes a special hand in Aaron's life."
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:21:49 am »

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with any of those other works you mentioned. What I kind of was looking for was like a short bio of each of the major characters (What are their backgrounds and personalities like?).

and you really need to watch the movies I listed, if you like Crimson skies you'll love them
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:45:15 am »

Yeah, basically what you posted up there about "Easter" Whittaker was the type of thing I was looking for.
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »

Of course, the whole idea of airborne shipping is fundamentally unfeasible (although a Balkanized Depression era United States isn't entirely so), but the whole thing is just a lighthearted, fun, exercise in escapism anyways.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 10:41:28 pm »

I don´t see why using airships for shipping would be unfeasible. It´s probably one of the more likely uses for modern day airships.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Septimus Holrych
Gunner

Intrepid Explorer

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 12:04:21 am »

There's a company that's actively working on doing just that right here.

(Yes i'll take any excuse to spam that link  Grin )
nicromanov
Snr. Officer

look out for that !....

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 08:40:04 pm »

i recently found this song ,and i personally find it to be both annoyingly addictive ,and rather steamy in subject matter Smiley
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  open for a link to youtube.

"curse this infernal machine of the devil!!"
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral

Adventurer & Scholar

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:31:51 pm »

. . . the old crimsonskiesuniverse.com website which you can find on the waybackmachine.org . . .
It also seems to be mirrored here. In addition, there's a Crimson Skies wiki, though I doubt the information is any more extensive.

"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: