The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:26:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Whats your desktop like?
Mac - 81 (55.5%)
Linux - 65 (44.5%)
Total Voters: 143

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots  (Read 436049 times)
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #950 on: August 29, 2014, 03:37:32 pm »

Check your Brassgoggles mail, there is one from me on exactly that subject.

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
SciFighter
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #951 on: August 29, 2014, 04:04:11 pm »

Check your Brassgoggles mail, there is one from me on exactly that subject.

I just saw it thank you so much again Smiley

I have sent you a reply I will be in later this evening if there is anything else you would like me to do as well just let me know thanks so much Smiley
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #952 on: August 30, 2014, 12:00:29 pm »

FYI - Mordasius is absolutely fine with it! Thanks for posting the links, appreciated. Also, I think Samriggs and Samantha Wright are one and the same person...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:31:34 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Mordasius
Swab

« Reply #953 on: August 31, 2014, 12:06:11 pm »

I am new to this forum but on a site I am on I had a lot of requests from members to make a Steampunk styled theme and I found myself being directed to your wonderful site here quite often while doing research for the theme. Its for windows if anyone is on that and since it was here I found so many resources and got so many ideas from I thought if anyone would like to grab it please feel welcome to it Smiley

I am most grateful to Uncle Bert for passing on a link to this post.  I haven't downloaded any desktop themes for many years but this looks a worthy contender for breaking the drought. I thank you SciFighter for sharing the result of your endeavours with us. 
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #954 on: October 09, 2014, 02:15:53 pm »

This is a new widget that displays a continuous time update on your desktop. It is based upon Nixie tubes that were used as status indicators/displays in the 50/60s - 70s. The originals have a character of their own which this widget aims to replicate.

This widget acts as a simple clock upon your desktop and as an extra benefit it is also a moveable bit of eye-candy. It is a fully working widget. Please feel free to download it here: you'll find the widget bundled with any of the nixie icons,

http://rocketdock.com/addon/icons/46779

You will, of course, need Yahoo widgets for this widget to run. Get Yahoo widgets here:
http://lightquick.co.uk/jdownloads/yahoo-widget-sdk-and-runtime-engine.html?Itemid=264

and the Mac version here: http://desktopwidgets.zenfs.com/4.5.2x10a50/yahoo_widgets_4.5.2.dmg

This widget runs in XP/Vista/Windows 7, Windows 8 and Mac OS/X. If you have any problems please post your email queries to our contact page. I will endeavour to answer them as soon as I can.

Full instructions for the widget are here: http://lightquick.co.uk/instructions-for-the-steampunk-thermionic-nixie-tubes.html?Itemid=264

You may use any of my images in your own creations but commercially only with my permission. In all cases I require a credit to the original artist using my name or pseudonym and a link to my own site.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:20:23 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #955 on: October 09, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »

And this is my current desktop with the Nixie tube widget upon it. The widget uses one of two fonts, Arial Narrow or MostraOne

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #956 on: October 15, 2014, 03:12:15 am »

I've just created that same Nixie widget as an Xwidget using the Xwidget engine. If you prefer to use something more modern than the old Yahoo widget engine then this version of the widget may be for you. It operates in the same way as the yahoo widget version, you can just be a little more sure that it will work in future versions of windows. I am going to convert all the widgets to Xwidgets, one by one.

The xwidget version is here:
http://lightquick.co.uk/downloads/steampunk-thermionic-nixie-tube-xwidget.html?Itemid=264

There is also the possibility that it will work in Android - it may well do so but it hasn't been tested yet on that platform.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:21:07 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #957 on: October 20, 2014, 01:31:37 am »

Just updated this one http://rocketdock.com/addon/misc/46794

Should be better all round... please vote!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:31:00 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #958 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:21 am »

This is a brand new XWidget -based on the old nixie but improved - a lot.

on its way! - just built it.

Instructions here: http://lightquick.co.uk/instructions-for-the-cyberpunk-thermionic-nixie-tube-widget-2.html

Download http://lightquick.co.uk/downloads/cyberpunk-thermionic-tube-xwidget-clock.html?Itemid=264Tell me what you think pls.

Improved graphics will be applied to the old yahoo widget version soon.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:25:03 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #959 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »

New version of the nixie tube widget for the Yahoo widget engine updated with the new graphics:

http://rocketdock.com/addon/icons/39912

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:59:51 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #960 on: October 25, 2014, 12:37:17 am »

A few desktops, all windows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and a Linux one too:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:40:55 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Cousin Itt
Officer
United States United States

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #961 on: November 24, 2014, 05:10:46 pm »

So Unk,
I'm finally getting around to my "Komputator" rebuild.
Should I wait for the xwidget versions?
I'll be running Win7, and a couple of flavors of Linux.

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #962 on: November 24, 2014, 05:37:01 pm »

@Cousinitt - Wait? Not at all, just install the Yahoo widgets.

The yahoo widgets work on win 7 with no problems at all. I run Windows XP, Vista and Win 7. Only the volume widget has an issue with Win7 as the newer version of the o/s does not allow the yahoo widget to control the system volume.

It will also take me ages to convert all the widgets to Xwidget versions, so you'd be waiting until the cows come home. In any case I only have four Xwidgets and one of those is an old version.

Hope you have fun and do let me see the screenshots when done/in progress.

Hopefully soon I'll have some new/updated widgets for you. My old Yahoo CPU/GPU Thermometer Widget is being updated.

Some new graphics and new functionality including working graph and new use for the gauges. Updating and improving the Yahoo widget now and then will start to convert it to an Xwidget.

This was the second widget that I created and it was little rushed in parts and as a result I probably didn't think it through enough. It was still a lovely functioning widget though which has sat on my desktop doing its job well. The current version shows up to four sensors and displays a running graph of two of them. When I have the new version rewritten and updated I will have the thing in my head and I'll be confident to translate it to the Xwidget engine.

Whilst I am working on the CPU/GPU Thermometer Widget for Yahoo/Xwidget engines occasionally an idea comes to mind and if it is worth pursuing then a dalliance is allowed. In this frame of mind I have opened an old icon PSD file that I had earlier created and have organised it so that it can be made into a widget. The idea is that each drawer on the filing cabinet can be hovered over or clicked upon and the drawer will open and inform you which folder each drawer refers to. A double click will open the respective folder. Think of it as a replacement for Explorer, a steampunk version of a file explorer.

The gauge may display CPU as an aside and the bulbs on the top will glow according to the network adapters that are present in the system, glowing in strength according to the signal each adapter receives. Ethernet adapters being permanently connected will glow brightly whilst wireless adapters may glow dimly. That's it, just a germ of an idea at the moment but I have knocked up the initial widget and it sits on my desktop as I write this.

For the Christmas season I have revamped my Christmas Bauble widgets. The first version was a set of 10 individual widgets, each of which showed a different Christmas image. That was it, nothing special.

The next revamped version acts more like an old-style advent calendar. The advent season encompasses the time from the first four Sundays before Christmas up to Christmas Day. Those old-style Advent calendars allow you to open a little door that shows a different Christmas scene every day. My new baubles will allow that too.

Instead of multiple widgets each showing a different bauble there will be just one widget showing multiple baubles that can still be moved around individually on the desktop. Each bauble has a door that can be opened when clicked upon but only when the appropriate date is reached. Each door has a musical surprise contained within. It is really rather Christmassy and very pleasant to use. Each bauble can be individually resized too.

So what do I have to do to complete it? Add ten existing bauble images, find thirteen more appropriate bauble images, create twenty-three glass doors in open and closed states. Find twenty-five musical elements and convert them for use in the widget. Add the resizing code, test and tidy up. Package and distribute. A fair bit!

Need to do it before 30th November which is the first day of Advent.

All that is on the Windows platform, on the linux side I only have the backgrounds, four hundred or so icons and the steampunk orrery widget for QT/KDE desktop as in Kubuntu. For Windows you have a far better selection.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:41:45 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Cousin Itt
Officer

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #963 on: November 24, 2014, 06:24:53 pm »

Ok Unk!

I'll be running Win7, Ubuntu, & Kubuntu.
It's been awhile since I've worked with any Linux OS's, so I figure I'll check out both flavors.
It will be a little while before the "Komputator" is completed. It's a WIP in the Tactile section.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #964 on: November 24, 2014, 07:41:36 pm »

I'll have a look in the tactile section later - can you post a link pls?

Here is the Kubuntu desktop that is largely based on my designs:

Cousin Itt
Officer

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #965 on: November 25, 2014, 01:15:36 am »

Sure Unk,
http://brassgoggles.org/forum/index.php/topic,44256.0.html
I'll have to see what I can do with 3 monitors as far as desktops.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #966 on: November 25, 2014, 09:21:09 pm »

That is going to be hard work! I don't think I could cut up an old typewriter just to satisfy what is really just a fashion-thing (our desire for something steam...) I feel the destruction of an old machine is too much of a price to bear. I would prefer to wire up an old underwood with microswitches to act as the keyboard interface. It has been done and is not too difficult.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:39:22 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #967 on: November 26, 2014, 09:36:11 am »

Latest update - Slowly making changes:

Has four working gauges plus the two thermometers allowing up to six sensors to be displayed.

The valves operate the gauges, adding two new when required.

The text on the paper now moves in synchronisation with the traces.

Plenty of new menu options.

Coming soon.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:33:32 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Cousin Itt
Officer

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #968 on: November 26, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »

That is going to be hard work! I don't think I could cut up an old typewriter just to satisfy what is really just a fashion-thing (our desire for something steam...) I feel the destruction of an old machine is too much of a price to bear. I would prefer to wire up an old underwood with microswitches to act as the keyboard interface. It has been done and is not too difficult.

Unk,
The 2 Underwoods were in a flooded warehouse basement. They were beyond saving.
I couldn't do it myself if they had been usable machines. They were both rusted solid, so I'm salvaging what I can from them.
I've seen the microswitch kits, but these typewriters were in real bad shape so I'm making the best of them.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #969 on: November 26, 2014, 04:40:58 pm »

It isn't possible to salvage a really rusted one - I've tried.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #970 on: December 01, 2014, 12:01:20 pm »

Just knocked up the help for CPU/GPU thermometers.

The image above will be useful on the widget's help page but will also go into the widget itself when the HToggle is pressed. The help image will be overlaid upon the actual running widget summarising what each function does. I am adding help functionality to each widget as I realise these steampunk utilities can be a little hard to fathom (for the uninitiated).

This will be in place for the NEW version.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #971 on: December 16, 2014, 06:32:18 pm »

Latest - increasingly cluttered but all functional.

Bigger below:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:34:57 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Cousin Itt
Officer

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #972 on: December 16, 2014, 06:37:27 pm »

Unk,
Is that on Windows or Mac?

I must say I do like it.  Grin
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #973 on: December 17, 2014, 04:09:59 am »

It is on Windows 8 but all of them bar just one or two, function on Mac OS/X as well.

The steampunk CPU/GPU thermometers widget requires a method of obtaining sensor data from the o/s or directly from the hardware. On Windows there are freeware utilities that provide this information (Windows and OS/X do not by themselves).

The tool that provides this information on OS/X is no longer free to use so we can't extract this information from Macs.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:18:08 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Gourgon
Swab

https://twitter.com/johnf
« Reply #974 on: December 17, 2014, 07:57:38 am »

I'm not using a theme, but this is my desktop wallpaper.

The best part of not being perfect, is simply the joy that it brings to others.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: