The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:59:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Whats your desktop like?
Mac - 81 (55.5%)
Linux - 65 (44.5%)
Total Voters: 143

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots  (Read 436273 times)
Cousin Itt
Officer
United States United States

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #925 on: February 15, 2014, 12:33:15 am »

yereverluvinunclebert,

With all of the widgets you've made I can understand why you haven't had time to customize your machine. Shocked

As of now the machines naked Embarrassed

It's little more than a pile of parts at the moment, but here's what I'll be reassembling.
Asus M3N72-D motherboard. (One of the ones with the finned copper heatsinks) Replaces an Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI that went bad. Cry
Asus Royal Knight CPU cooler (copper base, heatpipes, and fins)
AMD Phenom II Black Edition Processor. (X4 940) 3.0 Ghz Quad Core 8 Mb Cache
8 Gigs PC2-6400 (DDR 2 800Mhz) ram with Thermaltake RamOrb copper heatpipe coolers.
4 Seagate 1 Tb 32 Mb 7200 RPM hard drives in a 0+1 raid array.
Asus GT 545 3 Gb (GT 640) video card. (I'll have to make/modify a custom copper finned cooler for this to match)
2 Asus DVD Burners (Can't get model number at moment still in old case)
Thermaltake TR2 RX-550 550 watt power supply.
OS=Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit edition.

As to the desk/case,
I've got a stash of bits and pieces from Oak furniture that I've collected over the years along with some beveled glass windows I've hung on to.
I intend to use the oak table top that I found for the basis of the build, along with the windows so the PC's guts are viewable. Embarrassed  
Above the PC case part of the desk I'm going to build a hutch with doors to hide 3 monitors.
The outer monitors (not yet acquired) will be mounted to the back sides of the doors.

I'll be doing my own take on a Jake von Slatt style keyboard using a Cherry ML-4100 compact keyboard, and matching numerical keypad.
I've devised a way to do these so if either dies its just a matter of replacing the defective unit. Grin (I'll do a post when I do these)

Cousin Itt

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:55:20 pm by Cousin Itt » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #926 on: February 17, 2014, 12:22:49 am »

Sounds gorgeous inside and out.

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #927 on: March 09, 2014, 01:48:04 pm »

I have a new wallpaper for your steampunk desktop. It has been designed to go behind my Steampunk orrery timekeeper widget forming the mechanism that lies underneath - However, it looks rather nice by itself.

A little later I will release the mechanism as two Windows/Mac widgets, one the widget as shown with shadow to allow the underlying mechanism to work on the above desktop, another without the shadow to allow the widget to be used on any Windows/Mac desktop whatsoever.

You can get it at deviantArt, 1440 x 900 pixels suitable for wide laptop screens.

http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Wallpaper-MkII-1440x990-439053362

Here is the centre object as a widget (created but not yet functioning)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:55:40 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Cousin Itt
Officer

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #928 on: March 09, 2014, 03:47:44 pm »

Looks GREAT! yereverluvinunclebert.

With all of the widgets you've made available I've decided to do a triple boot system, so I can play with them all! Grin

I'll have to change some specs to do so.  Roll Eyes
I allready found that I'll need to change the CPU cooler due to space conflict with the memory coolers. Sad
May need to change video card (still doing research) Undecided, and will need to change power supply Shocked (more power Scotty we need more power Grin)
I'll be adding a pair of 500 GB 16 MB cache 7200 RPM HDD's for the other 2 OS's. (allready have these so may as well use them Wink)

Cousin Itt

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #929 on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:39 pm »

Glad you like the new wallpaper - The 8gb flash 500gb hybrids from Seagate, the Momentus range, are very quick in comparison to the 7200rpm ones you have specified. They are also quite cheap. On a SATA 2 system I experienced a threefold decrease in boot times. SATA-3 should be even better. You have the 7200rpm drives in hand though so they don't come much cheaper than that. Keep us posted with your tri-boot system. What will you be booting? Windows, Kubuntu?
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #930 on: March 10, 2014, 03:18:16 pm »

This is my current desktop on XP and Vista, two laptops running the same widgets (that also function on Mac OS/X, Win 7 and Win Cool

You can see it clearer here:

http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/My-Current-Steampunk-Desktop-March-2014-439478619

You can get all the widgets except the new 24 hr clock and the signal widget, here on my own gallery -

http://lightquick.co.uk/steampunk-widgets.html?Itemid=264

It comprises my own Yahoo widgets and Rocketdock icons and I find it a very familiar place to be.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:20:35 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #931 on: March 30, 2014, 12:01:25 pm »

I have a new widget that will help prettify and steampunkify the desktop for windows and Macs.
It is the widget Vault. It lists all the widgets available from myself and Harry, my coding partner. It allows you to list and download any widget you want, similar to a widget 'appstore'.

It is quite a widget with it's own character.

You can get it here:
http://lightquick.co.uk/downloads/widget-vault-a-steampunk-widget-appstore.html?Itemid=264

or on DeviantArt :
http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Widget-Vault-443696702

The widget takes either of two feeds and it will allow you to investigate any of our steampunk or not-so-steampunk widgets. either way your desktop will improve! Have fun with it!

If you could be so kind as to vote for my widget here, I'd really appreciate it.

http://rocketdock.com/addon/icons/46471

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:23:41 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Bryan Taylor
Officer

« Reply #932 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:17 am »

Voted.

Here's my latest:

If you're interested in the Sysmetrix or wallpaper (1024 x 768 only), let me know and I'll get it uploaded.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #933 on: April 01, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »

Thanks Bryan.

- and WOW, that makes my desktop look positively quiet and uncluttered.
Bryan Taylor
Officer

« Reply #934 on: April 02, 2014, 12:20:22 am »

Grin You're welcome.
I'll admit, it is much....
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #935 on: April 04, 2014, 03:37:43 am »

This is a cropped image of my desktop with the latest orrery timekeeper widget.
It may not look a lot different to the old version, there is some opacity on the centre glass, new sliders are the only visible differences but there are plenty of new features.

There is an under-widget that shows the working gubbins, it will display a rotating moon through all the phases plus a rotating 3D earth, in-place help, lots of new animations and sounds. Also a steampunk skin to the memo taker. Not ready yet. It needs a fair bit of work but it is coming.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #936 on: May 23, 2014, 09:27:17 am »

Well, it is ready. The new version of the steampunk orrery timekeeper is available to download.

It is here: http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/#/art/Steampunk-Orrery-Calendar-Clock-Yahoo-Widget-MkII-455720507?hf=1

From the above image you can see new functionality (extra sliders), new controls, new graphics but what you can't see is that there is a lot more animation. One obvious change is that the centre glass can now be made to be semi or fully transparent showing the underpinnings of the widget.

It is based on the previous version of the orrery, it now does a lot more pretty things.

You can also get it from my site: http://lightquick.co.uk/steampunk-widgets.html?Itemid=264

In the past I would have normally directed you to rocketdock to download and vote, however the widget has grown beyond 10mb in size which is the maximum Rocketdock will support. If you do feel like dropping a positive comment on Deviantart or my site (or here) I'd appreciate it.

The orrery widget needs two other widgets to operate correctly, the moon widget and the under widget. I'll post these here shortly. This widget works with Windows XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7 /8 and Mac OS/X so it should work on all of these with no problems.

The orrery timekeeper widget also includes the rotating earth widget functionality so that if you click on the miniature earth a full resizable spinning earth will appear:

To run this widget properly you will also need:

1. Steampunk Moon Phase III Widget here: http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Moon-Phase-Widget-and-Icons-455724828
2. Steampunk Underwidget here: http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Underwidget-and-Icons-455728329

The underwidget looks like this and sits on your desktop providing the gubbins...

The moon phase widget sits on top of the orrery when required to do so and looks like this:

All three sit well on top of one of my wallpapers http://lightquick.co.uk/jdownloads/steampunk-clock-leather-desktop-wallpaper.html?Itemid=264 or here: http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Wallpaper-MkII-1440x990-439053362

The combination should be a significant enhancement to your desktop and I do hope you'll have fun with it and keep it on your desktop for the next few steampunk years!

-oOo-

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:13:52 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #937 on: May 26, 2014, 11:51:04 am »

If you'd be so kind as to vote for it here I'd really appreciate it.

http://rocketdock.com/addon/icons/46560
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #938 on: May 27, 2014, 06:09:30 pm »

There is a new version of the moon widget here:
http://lightquick.co.uk/downloads/steampunk-moon-phase-widget.html?Itemid=264

Slightly modified to remove the cancellation tap altogether when there is no orrery widget installed. Also, the moon widget can be moved around by clicking and dragging on the moon itself. Can now be installed without the orrery being present.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #939 on: July 24, 2014, 05:50:34 pm »

New version of the Vault is now out.

This is the vault minimised

This is the vault in barebones mode

Instructions here:

http://lightquick.co.uk/instructions-for-the-widget-vault.html?Itemid=264

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:57:07 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #940 on: August 03, 2014, 01:00:40 pm »

She's my steampunk girl on my steampunk desktop and I use the magnifying glass to enlarge bits of her...
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #941 on: August 03, 2014, 01:03:34 pm »

And so is she...
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #942 on: August 03, 2014, 01:07:49 pm »

A rather nice desktop screenshot from a chap who sent me three of his:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think he uses Windows 7 and Windowblinds.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:15:42 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #943 on: August 04, 2014, 03:47:37 am »

She's my steampunk girl on my steampunk desktop and I use the magnifying glass to enlarge bits of her...

Why? I'd say her bits are proportionally just the right size as they are…

(Umm… Please forget I said that. Embarrassed)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #944 on: August 04, 2014, 09:13:08 am »

Why? I'd say her bits are proportionally just the right size as they are…

(Umm… Please forget I said that. Embarrassed)

Nope  Grin

(mainly because most of us probably agree)

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
SciFighter
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #945 on: August 29, 2014, 02:50:41 am »

Hi There Everyone Smiley

I am new to this forum but on a site I am on I had a lot of requests from members to make a Steampunk styled theme and I found myself being directed to your wonderful site here quite often while doing research for the theme. Its for windows if anyone is on that and since it was here I found so many resources and got so many ideas from I thought if anyone would like to grab it please feel welcome to it Smiley

the theme is for windows 7 and be found here
if your on windows 8 it has been ported to that here by a friend of mine
again I just wanted to thank you all here for the wonderful site and how much help it has been it putting this theme together Smiley
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #946 on: August 29, 2014, 03:51:04 am »

Don't forget to make sure that wherever that theme is offered that you give due credit to the people who created the resources on display there. I can see a lot of my work there and so please make sure I get a credit whenever my stuff is bundled up into your own.
SciFighter
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #947 on: August 29, 2014, 06:24:19 am »

Don't forget to make sure that wherever that theme is offered that you give due credit to the people who created the resources on display there. I can see a lot of my work there and so please make sure I get a credit whenever my stuff is bundled up into your own.

Thanks much for pointing that out my friend I had posted a thank you to all creators of any resources used to create the theme there was so many where I pulled resources from, I have added your name in the post if there is anyone else I can mention by name please let me know. I very much appreciate the resources you have provided as this was my first venture into the world of steampunk and I have to say I enjoyed it very much Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:31:26 am by SciFighter » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #948 on: August 29, 2014, 10:35:42 am »

Thanks for that, I don't mind if people use my stuff as long as I always receive credit. I'll have a chat with Mordasius and I'm sure he'll be OK with it too. If you ever receive any cash for the theme, be sure to share it out. My stuff is not for commercial use, only personal.

I can see some of Samantha Wright's icons too so please be sure to mention her. Her efforts were the inspiration for many steampunkers like myself.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:09:19 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
SciFighter
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #949 on: August 29, 2014, 03:32:27 pm »

Thanks for that, I don't mind if people use my stuff as long as I always receive credit. I'll have a chat with Mordasius and I'm sure he'll be OK with it too. If you ever receive any cash for the theme, be sure to share it out. My stuff is not for commercial use, only personal.

I can see some of Samantha Wright's icons too so please be sure to mention her. Her efforts were the inspiration for many steampunkers like myself.

Hi Bud Smiley

Thank you very much again for your resources I have added Mordasius and samriggs to the names as well I will also add Samantha Wright's name to the post as well, I believe she was the one with the large icon pack Smiley. I did so much research to try and make this a proper steampunk theme it's hard to remember everywhere I went to look at stuff and get resources from. I thank you very much again for the help I like to make sure people get the credit they deserve.

My works are always free I have only ever done one paid theme many years ago in all the time I have been doing this and that was just to help that site get off the ground we it was first established the site owner asked if I would mind doing one for the site. This is a hobby for me something I enjoy doing in my free time Smiley

Again thanks so much I really have enjoyed making this theme above most and would consider doing other attempts at steampunk in the future maybe next time I can have a chat with yourself to help me dive in a little deeper to the steampunk world thanks again Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: