The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:02:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Whats your desktop like?
Mac - 81 (55.5%)
Linux - 65 (44.5%)
Total Voters: 143

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots  (Read 436407 times)
Mr. Fenn
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Airship Mechanic and Gremlin Exterminator

« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2009, 11:50:31 am »

I'm currently using this image for my desktop:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/f/f5/Epic_Aliens.jpg

<My Webcomic
Marrock
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2009, 10:40:52 pm »

VladStudio has a new geared wallpaper, no brass though but that's easily fixed in PS.

HentAI
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2009, 04:03:22 am »

http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop5jh4.jpg

I took the French maid (From the User who said his desktop wasnt that steamy, the one with the maid dusting the mummy) and a library I think I found at steampunkwallpaper.com. I spliced them together to have the best of two worlds.

It is supposed to be full wide-screen, but Im not sure what the imagehosting does to the file.

Progs used: Rocketdock, Photoshop, CursorXP, Rainmeter
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:08:03 am by HentAI » Logged
kaffemustasj
Gunner
Norway Norway

« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2009, 04:27:34 pm »

Haha, I really like how that splice came out!
I would defiantly use it as my desktop, if I weren't so pleased with my current Tongue

Welcome to the forum, btw Grin
HentAI
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2009, 04:29:52 pm »

Hehe thanks m8 =), good to be here with the rest of the you.

Still looking desperately to incorporate a good looking clock on the desktop, so far unsuccessful. Been hounding the net for days now.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2009, 05:09:41 pm »

Mine, in need of some steaming up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Background came from a google search. I've been looking through the various pages of this thread, and i've seen a lot of people have custom bits on them. Where could I find (for windows XP):
Steampunk cursors, and
Wood or wood and brass taskbar/borders (the bits that are blue normally)
I'd search using google, but I get the impression a lot of these sites download spyware etc with any apparent freebees.
Heres a few of my images people are welcome to use:
-Matt
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:12:37 pm by Matthias Gladstone » Logged

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
HentAI
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2009, 05:30:49 pm »

customize.org/xpthemes/60490 is where you will find the icons, font, wooden theme and a few other things.

I would prefer brass on my taskbar and windows, but so far unsuccessful in locating anything worth looking at, so wood will have to do.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2009, 06:52:59 pm »

customize.org/xpthemes/60490 is where you will find the icons, font, wooden theme and a few other things.

I would prefer brass on my taskbar and windows, but so far unsuccessful in locating anything worth looking at, so wood will have to do.

Cheers, downloaded a couple of those. How exactly do you install them? When I double click the icons, it brings up the desktop controller thing, and it's not apparent how to install the themes.
cheers,
-matt
HentAI
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2009, 06:56:20 pm »

The Icons you place in a folder wherever you like, then you manually change icons by right clicking shortcuts--customize--- change icon. Unless you have Iconpackager of course where the process is much easier.

You then need to read about the uxtheme.dll here http://www.ghacks.net/2008/01/21/uxthemedll-patcher-for-windows-xp-and-vista/ or wherever you can find it. Look for a patcher for your OS and service pack. After your uxtheme.dll is patched, all you have to do is double click the msstyle icon and follow the steps.

Easiest would be to get the steampunked rocketdock up and see what it does first =)
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2009, 07:04:57 pm »

Not quite what I meant - all I want to do is change the taskbar, cursors and boxes. I can sort icons etc out later, and i'm happy with how it works, but not how it looks.
When I click on the theme file I downloaded (the one in the link) it comes up with this:

And I can't figure out where to go from there.
I really don't want anything extra like rocketbars or whatever they are.
Cheers for your help, it's greatly appreciated.
-Matt
HentAI
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2009, 07:07:01 pm »

If you havent patched your uxtheme.dll then XP will refuse to change into a custom style.

As soon as you patch it it will work.

get the patcher here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/SP3-UxTheme-Patcher.shtml
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2009, 09:18:36 pm »

Improvement:

Next is cursors and icons....hmmm......
R-100 picture courtesy the HAC.
Cheers for the help,
-Matt
HentAI
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2009, 07:22:48 pm »

For those who want a slick steampunk clock on the desktop instead of that horrendous digital one, I recommend http://www.clocx.net/ (with the bundle png-packs installed).

Some models are extremely appealing and you can put the clock anywhere on your desktop without it interfering (click-wise etc).

EDIT* Just finished my final desktop modification which has cost me what little sanity I had left.

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktopofdeathkj5.jpg

Scrounged the deviantart heap for parts, never thought modding a desktop could take that long. After all that tireless work with a million failures attached to it, I now consider myself a mad laborator.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:25:41 am by HentAI » Logged
Daemon
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2009, 08:01:53 am »

I think that looks very nice. I really appreciate the realistic effect, even a pedestal for the mp3 player.
HentAI
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2009, 08:03:45 am »

Glad to hear!

Would have shaved off about half the time if I hadn't looked for something to fit with the player.
Dr C P Hornfels
Snr. Officer

« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2009, 02:09:30 pm »

Pinched the robot wallpaper Marrock posted, mucked about in photoshop, the result is below. I quite like more abstract desktops.

Raffles
Deck Hand

« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2009, 01:16:53 am »

Here's one I've just kind of cobbled together over the past few hours. I believe the wallpaper came from steampunkwallpaper.com (can't recall)

"Quidquid latet apparebit, Nil inultum remanebit."
karoshi
Snr. Officer

« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2009, 12:39:42 pm »

found a gear-face clock for the Windows Vista widget sidebar thing:

http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=f0ad25d5-3ba5-4b2a-bfc4-8a95d9677f4b&bt=1&pl=1

looks pretty nice once you've played with the settings, doesn't seem to move much though.. i'd hoped that all the cogs would actually turn

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2009, 11:26:57 am »

Here's mine. The monitors I have aren't the same size, hence the black bars.

I've adjusted the colour of <a href="http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3217.msg260781#msg260781">James Brittenham's</a> wallpaper pattern to make a background, and pasted a couple of my photographs onto it.

Try as I might I couldn't get the dll files to replace properly to change to one of the nicer themes here, none of the downloads matched the version of XP Home I have, and the one the site recommended didn't allow me to change anything, so I've adjusted the colours in the basic theme as best I can.

The desktop theremin originally came from the BBC, but they no longer host the file. Fortunately it is available from [url = "http://ketil.svendsen.googlepages.com/theremin"]http://ketil.svendsen.googlepages.com/theremin[/url]

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Alexander Edmund Clough
Snr. Officer

« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2009, 02:03:52 am »

Here's mine now I have my new toy Cheesy

Not hugely steamy apart from the lovely victorian wallpaper. Mac OSX Leopard with selected Dashboard Widgets on permenant display courtesy of the "Dashboard Developer Mode" hack. The pale grey square in the top right hand corner of the screenshot is "dead space" caused by the screens being a different size to one another.

Just noticeable is the fact that the two screens have different wallpapers.

Main screen is at 1920x1200, and I make heavy use of OSX "Spaces" to segregate applications - this is my "Web Surfing"  space for instance.

Secondary screen displaying currently open chat window and selected most-used widgets is 800x480 (this is so that when I'm using Lightroom or another app full screen I can still keep abreast of what's going on in chat). Apart from the chat window, all are Dashboard Widgets - Nixie tube clock, calculator, system monitor, itunes controller, google search-bar.

800x480?Huh
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:14:11 am by Alexander Edmund Clough » Logged

So God Save the Queen, 'Cause anything is possible for a man in a top hat with a monkey with a monocle!

Marrock
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2009, 02:21:48 am »

Just because you're stuck on a mac is no cause to be abusive towards the folks with real computers. Wink
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2009, 02:31:39 am »

That looks a handy little device. I had been wondering whether something like that existed for quite some time- it would have been a useful space to keep the photoshop menus. As it is I bit the bullet and bought a second monitor, but it looks a nifty little gadget nonetheless.
Alexander Edmund Clough
Snr. Officer

« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2009, 03:23:32 am »

That looks a handy little device. I had been wondering whether something like that existed for quite some time- it would have been a useful space to keep the photoshop menus. As it is I bit the bullet and bought a second monitor, but it looks a nifty little gadget nonetheless.

It's a damn handy little gadget for when one wants a second screen, but one doesn't have desk space for a second monitor (even a 17" won't fit and I can't get a bigger desk in my den due to my workbench down one side of the room!).

I went with it originally for much the same reason (photoshop palettes), but decided to reserve it for chat and widgets as 800x480 is just right for one chat window and most-often used widgets. I'm considering gettting a second one at some point and steaming them up as a pair of screens one above the other to sit beside the mac, then I can have chat and widgets on one, and the other can have more useful permenantly open things on it too Smiley
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:25:07 am by Alexander Edmund Clough » Logged
Xombiegrinn
Officer

« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2009, 06:56:52 pm »

http://www.planetvideo.com.au/blog/2008/11/14/CBT_CoverJasonLevesque.jpg
est Wallpaper ever....just a bigger version.

Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2009, 10:39:50 pm »

Not the most original desktop, but the working pocketwatch is useful as I hate digital clocks for being too precise.  I am happy with 'Six in the afternoon' and have no time for 18:02...

Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: