The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 12:03:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: >The Smoking Room< The Second Storey  (Read 39647 times)
Philip
Gunner
United States United States

If you can not be good, be good at it.

« Reply #725 on: June 28, 2013, 01:43:09 am »

* sees the dodo put his head in a silver line*

Hey! That looks like the thing i fell through before i came here.

* scratches head and can' t help wondering where it may lead*

Have gone to find myself, if I should return, please ask me to wait.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #726 on: June 28, 2013, 02:45:02 am »

*The Gibbous stretches toward the silver line, as if to get a better look (though it has no visible eyes.) It makes a loud squeak and slithers into the egg almost too fast for the eye to follow, where it sits trembling slightly and peering over the edge with a tentative pseudopod*

Well that doesn't look promising... *Alexis closes her eyes for a moment, but then opens them again and shrugs.* Damned if I know what's gotten into him, I can't translate the thoughtform.

*she shuts the egg carefully, looking thoughtfully at the brightening sliver of silver*
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:47:40 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #727 on: June 28, 2013, 03:29:17 am »

*hurriedly completes matrix and drops the assembly back into the beam splitter*

Fingers crossed....

*powers up the device*

OK, charge building..........  *the air crackles with electrical discharges and the faint smell of Ozone gas* ....and we have full power!

*grabs the temporal perambulator and runs over to the balcony*

Oooh....That's not good!  *pulls the Dodo's head out of the brightening silver rift*  Let me check...

*adjusts controls of the device and holds it against the opening of the rift*

I have never seen readings like these before.... This is strange!  *unhooks a probe from the rear of the device and inserts it into the opening of the rift, up to his wrist*  Gah! feels like ice and electricity!

*the reading on device suddenly peg the scales of the meters - removes hand quickly*

Octavius, that collision of several timestreams with something 'wobbly' you were talking about, yes - well I think I can safely say you were right. Good news is we don't have far to travel!

Bad news is......it's right here....   *points at the widening rift*
I suggest we do something quickly, from what I can tell this rift is a fracture in the dimensional membrane separating or two realities.

Suggestions anyone?

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #728 on: June 28, 2013, 04:22:07 am »

*ponders for a moment....*

"Why don't we...um...take the dodo, attach the Gibbous egg to it, using this new quick dry, super strong glue I have just found at the bottom of my glass, and send them both through the rift. Then the Gibbous will be able to tell Alexis, and she will be able.....no....that's a rubbish idea.....hang on."

*Ponders the rift for a few moments, when a device strapped to his leg emits a high pitched squeal.*

"Hullo, my Poe-Tesla Regulator has just gone off, give me a mo...."

*Looks at the device, his eyebrows rising until they disappear into his fringe*

"Really, dimorphic resonance, temporal crystals, and a level of cavorite that I have never seen. Right....."

*Goes over to his bag, removes a high tensile Bucky cable and ties one end to the balcony, and one end to himself. Looks around and the gathered trio before him and smiles.*

"Last one in buys the first round..."

*Jumps into the rift, disappears in a flash of green light and the smell of lavender*

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #729 on: June 28, 2013, 04:27:58 am »

* looks around with a puzzled look on face Huh *

Uh..what just happened?

* thinks for a moment, *

What the hell.

* grits teeth, closes eyes.*

This is gona hurt I just know it.
* takes a deep breath and jumps in vanishes with a blue flash and a soft pop*

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:52:20 am by Philip » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #730 on: June 28, 2013, 05:51:35 am »

*Alexis shakes her head*

Dimension walkers. They like to use lingo that no one else understands, that is, when they aren't just making everything up as they go...

*She digs into her pocket and pulls out an ornate drawer handle attached to a heavy chunk of electronics and glass pipes filled with purple smoke. She flicks a switch and reality seems to pull itself in toward the device, and a second later a medieval-style shield made of blue light appears. She adjusts a dial on the electronic module, and the shield flickers several times and turns a deeper shade of blue*

There, ought to cancel out the cancel out the aethero-static buildup without too much discharge, be a close thing not to overload the kelvin cells, but I'll get a good charge for the double rifle... *She squints at the silver rift and makes another tiny adjustment on the shield circuitry. As an afterthought she slips the Gibbous egg securely into her pocket.*

Here goes nothing... well, hopefully not nothing, we really don't want to end up there...

*Alexis jumps through the rift with the shield in front of her. Just after she disappears loud electrical crackling sounds and distant curses come from inside the rift.*
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:58:02 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #731 on: June 28, 2013, 07:16:58 am »

*Looks at Dodo*

Well? You coming or what?

*Dodo shakes head*

I'm the only one left who knows how to feed you. Besides - I know your secret, right?

*Dodo scowls and walks over to the rift*

Yeah - that's what I thought.  *Siliconous steps through the rift while adjusting temporal perambulator controls*

*Dodo sticks wing out and holds out two long wing feathers in an unmistakable 'V' sign at Siliconous, then waddles into the rift, disappearing in a flash of light and wisp of feathers*
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #732 on: June 28, 2013, 07:24:45 am »

*While travelling along a trio of threads, the blackbox beeps three times, then sounds a klaxon alarm much louder than should be possible for something the size of a wall brick. At the same time, the watch rang and the Assignment  leaf swung out as he pulled it from his vest pocket Bailey cursed; it was damned inconvenient having to cut a trip short in mid-threadspace.*

Damned Silver Rifts, I wish the Committee would come up with a countermeasure. Ah, well, nothin' for it.

*The bookcase by the fireplace slides to one side, and Bailey steps out, looking at his watch in one hand and a brass lensatic compass in the other.*

Okay, let's see, Needle spins widdershins, so... Aha.

*Faces the rift just as Alexis' shoe disappears, and sees the exchange between S.S.  and the Dodo*

Oh, me...

*walks over and steps through just as the first few bars of Tales form the Vienna Woods are heard from inside the blackbox...*

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #733 on: July 01, 2013, 04:39:36 am »

*finds himself facing a white picket fence, glowing eerily in the total and apparently perpetual darkness in which he now finds himself.

He slowly walks forward, away from the sliver of silver light that now hangs 20 feet above him. He fiddles with his cane for a moment, before a soft golden light spreads out from the head, illuminating a 3 feet radius around him.

A sudden high pitched squeal reaches his ears, and he turns just in time to see the Silver Sliver pulse, and with a Snap, Crackle and Pop, disgorge the tumbling figures of Skummins, Philip, the dodo, and Bailey, who feel to the earth with a rather large Whoomp-Thump, while Alexis seemed to gently float to the ground, all dainty like*

Humph...well guys, I don;t think we are in Kansas any more. In fact I don't think we are even in the same realm as Kansas any more.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #734 on: July 01, 2013, 05:24:57 am »

*Alexis lands, muttering a few nasty words and slapping at a smoking spot on the shoulder of her coat. As an afterthought she flips a switch on the drawer-handle device that turns the forcefield from large gliding wings back to a shield.*

Bloody hell, too close this time, hit the resonance frequency...

*She inspects the charred spot on her coat and mutters something involving vertebrates and improbable anatomy*

Never going to find a decent arachnoid tailor this side of the anti-mobian curve...

*She looks up, noting the glowing picket fence, and a look of slight concern crosses her face. Then she looks to the others that have just stepped through the silver rift, recognizing one in particular.

Hello Bailey. Nice to see you in this... um, here. *She glances to the picket fence again* Er, doesn't the Silver Queen still have a price on your head?
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #735 on: July 01, 2013, 07:11:33 am »

*stumbles out rift falling over a mass of bodies. *

I knew it, that smarted.

* looks around and sees 1,2....*

Ya looks like we made it....and look,
the dodo too.

Where are we? ......I read this book and do not think I liked the ending.

Is everyone O.K.?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:13:49 am by Philip » Logged
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #736 on: July 01, 2013, 11:49:20 am »

Aaaaggh! Who are you people - and which one of you is standing on my chest?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #737 on: July 01, 2013, 01:39:51 pm »

Oops - sorry!  *steps down off Fairley B. Strange*

Hey, it's YOU! I was wondering where you got to.......er.....where exactly is this?
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #738 on: July 02, 2013, 03:13:28 am »

I know where it might be, judging by that fence there, but it could be a lot of other things also...  *She speaks carefully, and it is rather evident she isn't revealing all of what's on her mind.* Unfortunately it could be, hm, unhealthy to speak the name I'm thinking out loud too many times.

What I can say is that could be a border fence of the Silver Queen... Long story short, for those that haven't heard of her, she's what might safely be referred to as a Fay, and she rules a realm in what you might know from a different dimensional phase as Midland America.

*She shivers a little at some unspoken memory*

Anyway *She says quite cheerfully this time* It probably isn't what I'm thinking of, lots of the more polite and... hm, urban trans-dimensional entities use white picket fences to mark their territorial bounds. Yes, I can think of at least, um, well... I know of one for sure and another who would find it pretty suiting...
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #739 on: July 02, 2013, 03:35:42 am »

*turning from his close examination of the fence, he pulls out a pipe from his pocket and walks over to a nearby tree. He leans against it and continues to eye off the fence, while the others are discussing multiple dimension theory, and the relative juxtaposition and home improvement styles of multifaceted interdimensional entities. Suddenly something catches his eye*

Ummmm....Siliconous.....why is your dodo smoking a 2 foot long Churchwarden, and staring off down the road with what appears to be recognition in his eyes?"

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #740 on: July 02, 2013, 06:13:50 am »

*Bailey comes to himself with a start*
What? What? Silver Queen? Oh, her. Well, you see ... we made up, she and I. Now she just wants me to marry her cousin, which is why I'm here. Er, so to speak...

Now, Please tell me this isn't one of the Chthulid Dimensions. That looks an awful lot like Lady Chthuga's back fence over there. Or Lady Chatterley's. Not a lot of difference there, actually.

The Committee's Central Office sent me to check out this Phenomenon, so who did the who-shot-it that started this silver rift biz?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:20:50 am by MWBailey » Logged
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #741 on: July 02, 2013, 07:28:28 am »

If this is the Silver..........,

*rememmbers Alexis's concern over saying that name*
Um, the one we speak not of's realm or Lady Chthuga's, how would we find out?
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #742 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:23 am »

Who, me?
Well, I was headed outside to take a leak when I got hit by that ashtray, so I was a bit unsteady, then by the time I was staggering back in, I fell through some kind of annoying rifty-portally thingey....
Now, can you either get off my chest, or at least put on some nice stillettos?

And where are we?

*sees the dodo*

Oh, I might have known... you do know why we extincted those little buggers, don't you?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #743 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:06 am »

*Looks at dodo*

How......did he even light that thing - his wings are too short to reach his beak!!??

Hmmm..... *adjust dials and switches on temporal perambulator*.....as I thought!  We have both been here before, and it's not good news....

*a look of concern grows across face*

This....... is The Dead Space!....  A region between realities where thought and matter become one. It is the most dangerous place in all the multiverse! It...changes you... I barely escaped with my life last time...

*turns to the dodo*  ....And you know what I'm talking about!...  *dodo nods once and puffs pipe*

I suggest we make our stay brief, or at least find a more stable area - quickly!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #744 on: July 03, 2013, 03:27:17 am »

Ah. The Great Between. Yes, I see now, That fence is a manifestation of either our expectations or an offhand thought by someone else, who may or may not be concerned with us or our whereabouts. Let me see...
* puts away his instruments, except for the compass, and kicks the end-post of the white picket fence. A roar sounds off in the distance, similar to that of a tyrannosaur, but a suggestion of roaring flames and tentacular interference with proper diction is almost palpable.*

Ah hum. Seems it's milady Chthuga's. I suggest we find a different fence to knock about beside. Rather quickly, in fact...
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #745 on: July 03, 2013, 07:10:07 am »

*crawls slowly to his feet*

So, if this non-place gets affected by whatever we think, either we'd better start thinking fast about how to get out of here, or try to stop thinking of anything at all...

*proffers a silver flask that, as it is uncapped, emits the characteristic whiff of the green fairy*
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #746 on: July 03, 2013, 08:55:16 am »

Don't mind if I do...

*takes proffered flask and imbibes deeply*

Ahhh, that's the good stuff, much obliged Fairley. Right.."

*turns to the dodo*

"Where to?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #747 on: July 03, 2013, 05:05:39 pm »

*green fairy buzzes by carrying a large flask*

"you might try west, dear" she says

*the fairy buzzes off in another directioin*
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #748 on: July 03, 2013, 09:52:37 pm »

Well, too late for the not-thinking idea, it's already started... alright, 'go west' it said.
Has anyone got a compass?
My only one is a moral compass, and it broke years ago.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #749 on: July 03, 2013, 10:37:50 pm »

*takes compass out again*

Ah-hum... yersss, it looks like, yes, it's that way.

*points*

Now, don't let's anyone be thinking about pole shif--!

*grumble*
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: