The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 08:54:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: >The Smoking Room< The Second Storey  (Read 40515 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #700 on: June 22, 2013, 08:14:20 pm »

*picks up bottle of brandy and a glass from behind bar counter*

Here you go...

*looks at state of new acquaintance*

On second thoughts...

*throws glass away, breaking behind him, and promptly hands over the bottle*

Looks like you need a double!  *hands over second bottle*

Hmmm, I wonder where the others are - the sun is over the yardarm, they should be due in about now....

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #701 on: June 22, 2013, 08:45:35 pm »

*.... and the first of 'the usual suspects' walks through the door*

I didn't even know we had an upstairs now.  I just popped out for a moment and got m'self shanghied.  Got clean fifteen miles out over the Channel before I knew what had happened.  Of course, after overpowering my captors only then did I realise it's impossible to make a hot air balloon go against the wind.  So I had to just follow the breeze until it brought me back around here again.  Is there a record for longest hot air balloon flight?  I might just have won or made it...

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Philip
Gunner
United States United States

If you can not be good, be good at it.

« Reply #702 on: June 22, 2013, 10:27:57 pm »

*  Takes the bottle. Turns it up and has a gulp or two or five.  Slams it down.*

Wow! Strong stuff. Thanks needed that after the day I been having.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:32:56 am by Philip » Logged

Have gone to find myself, if I should return, please ask me to wait.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #703 on: June 23, 2013, 11:33:21 pm »

Hmm, record for the longest balloon flight.... Well there is something run by the three gents from the traveling balloon stage show Max Altitude. As I recall they have an open challenge to race around the world in 80 days. Mind you have to do it in their chosen reasonably priced conveyance balloon, and so far they have tended to have only the famous pilot it. I thought Ada Lovelace did remarkably well, although the level of swearing from her was a bit shocking...

*lights cigar*

Anyone for a cheese toasty? - I have to feed the Dodo so there will be plenty on offer...
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #704 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:09 am »

Yes thank you. I could go for something to eat.

I beg your pardon Sir. but I do not think I caught your name.
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #705 on: June 24, 2013, 06:02:53 am »

*lifts his head at the mention of the thrice-damned dodo*

You sitll have that creature, after all of the trouble he caused in the last 4 timestreams???

It's a good thing I brought a banana to this party.

*resumes his watch on the celestial pas-de-deux*

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #706 on: June 24, 2013, 07:19:03 am »

* walks over to Octavius, hesitates for a moment...and then speaks*

I do not mean to be intrusive, but you mentioned timestreams.

Do you travel them often?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:33:12 am by Philip » Logged
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #707 on: June 24, 2013, 06:53:57 pm »

*pokes head up from the corner end of the bar*

Well gentlemen, my apologies for my frequent lateness...I have to scale a wall these days to get here, being as how my own time travel device is on the fritz and where I am obliged to stay, they don't let them have or even see technology so I've no means of repairing it!  Otherwise, I'd be happy to offer this new fellow a ride to whatever timestream he needed.

For the record, if a winged gentleman named Mike offers to do your driving for you, don't take him up on it!  He's an accomplished saboteur, and mighty quick at it, at least when you're not looking...

Hopefully there's still some brandy left, I need one.

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #708 on: June 24, 2013, 08:09:39 pm »

*wanders over to the farmasutra section of the library - notices it's getting a bit sparse with potential fuel*

Now Octavius, you know as well as I do the Dodo is now safe from causing any more mishaps. Since the universe rebootstrapped into it's current form - and no, I still don't know why there are flying dinosaurs - the Dodo is now part of this universe, and as such can no longer influence events here.

...Probably....

*Selects a handfull of smut and heads over to the charred waste paper bin, lobs books in and pours over a liberal helping of moonshine from behind the bar*

STAND CLEAR!!!  FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

*throws the last of his cigar into bin, steps back as a mushroom cloud of flame leaps towards the ceiling scorching it*

Now then, Time travel is something most of us here have experience with, though recently it seems it has not all been a good experience.  My temporal Perambulator device is on the fritz, the time part works just fine, it's the location lock that is a bit squiffy. It has a tendency to lump you out into an unknown time frame or space coordinates. It needs a good overhaul by a Temporal Mechanic...

*as the flames die down to a subtle roar, starts toasting the toasties*

How do you like your toastie?....erm, golden black??
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #709 on: June 24, 2013, 09:01:47 pm »

Winged you say? Thank you I will keep a look out for him.

Golden black will be fine, thank you.

* scratches head, places elbows on table, rests head in hands.*

So, if I am understanding correctly. There is not a way , as of yet, to return me to my right time.

If that is indeed so, seeing that I am a stranger to this time and place.
I will need to know how one would find gainful employment and lodgings.

I am good with my hands and are a hard worker , but are unfamiliar with the tech you spoke of.

Would one of you gents be in need of someone or be willing to point me to who would ?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:57:46 am by Philip » Logged
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #710 on: June 25, 2013, 07:21:50 am »

*mumbles incoherently about dodo's and flying dinosaurs before walking over to the flaming trashcan*

Hmm, if I am reading these ashes right, and I think that I am, it would appear that 4 of the timestreams currently flowing in the multidimension that exists just to the left of ours are on a collision course with something large, hard, and wobbly.

I propose an expedition to this wibbly, wobbly thing to determine 2 things....
1. If it poses a threat to our existence, and
2. If it can be used to achieve wealth and power to it's discoverers.

I offer a great dental plan, and all of the cheese toasties and absinthe you could drink.

Who's in???
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #711 on: June 25, 2013, 01:40:46 pm »

* stands and slips bag off shoulder, checks what little gear in it, clicks tounge*

Why not, I am in. May as well make the best of a bad thing.
Lemonade out off lemons and all, and if I can put some coin in my pocket.
So much the better.

Oh! And do not forget the toasties.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:31:08 pm by Philip » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #712 on: June 25, 2013, 03:28:58 pm »

*raises eyebrow*

Another fool hardy expedition to a potentially lethal point in temporal space, in an unknown area of the multiverse, then eh von Gilgamesh?....

Meh, why not - nothing better to do.  *chucks burnt cheese toastie towards the Dodo which has just come out of hiding*
So, what do we need in way of supplies then?

SS
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #713 on: June 25, 2013, 05:31:23 pm »

* looks up from scavenging for supplies*

Let us collect what we can find from here.

* finds a bottle of rye whiskey and stuffs it in bag*

Ah.....for medicinal use.......ya.....medicinal.

* finds a set of glasses and wraps them in paper*

These are for dosing.
Now, what else is here we can use?

* resumes search for supplies*

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:41:22 am by Philip » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #714 on: June 26, 2013, 06:09:30 am »

*wakes with a loud snort, and brushes off a thick covering of dust. Sparks of purple static flash between dust particles as the cloud drifts away*

Oh, hello. *Blinks and looks at the new arrivals*

*holds up a large golden egg encrusted in colored jewels* I managed to trap the Gibbous, although I don't think Cathrine the Great is going to want this back now... ah, well.

I heard mention of supplies, and a need for medicinals? *contemplates the egg.*

I've nearly got this beastie trained, though the psychic interlink tends to make one sleep for a long while. Wonderful things, Gibbi. They can consume nearly any form of matter, but not many people know they are equally capable of reassembling matter. Even reanimating it...

*Gives the egg a thoughtful glance.* No, I told you, we're out of diamonds. You ate them all, remember? Get some carbon from the fireplace and make... oh, nevermind...

*looks back to the others*

Might I join in on your expedition? I'm packed already, I believe I can add a tin of biscuits, some windproof matches *rummages in the pocket of a longcoat, and impossibly enough pulls out an aetheric double-rifle. inspects the sights and stuffs it back in.*

You see, when I asked for a pocket universe I'm afraid they took me rather too literally... Oh, and the all-important towel, of course.

*pulls out a luxurious ruby red bath towel embroidered with an elder sign*

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #715 on: June 26, 2013, 06:39:50 am »

*Looks up from inspecting the guts of temporal perambulator device at the mention of diamonds*

Mmm? Did you you just say diamond?....  If it would be possible to have access to one, I may just be able to get this thing functional again. It worked last time.....sort of.  You see, it's a problem with the optical crystal matrix - it's basically buggered! However diamond provides a suitable degree of total internal reflection for the photonic beam...

*observes everyones eyes glaze over for a second time during an explanation on the device's workings*

...allowing...with the...gravity well.....uhhgh.

*sigh* Shiny make this thing worky!    *mutters "morons - why do I bother..." under breath*

At the very least it will be able to return us here in case of an emergency. Annnd we are sure to have one - it's been a general trending pattern so far...
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #716 on: June 26, 2013, 07:49:14 am »

Hmm... It'll take a bit of time, and some coaxing to get him not to eat them all...

*Takes the egg carefully between both hands and closes her eyes. She mutters a little as she concentrates.*

No, I said leave one. I just need one, you can find all the carbon you want down in the trash can... make as many as you like, just don't stuff yourself this time, or you won't fit back in there.

*sets the egg down and flicks off the latch. A purple glob with blue veins flows out and makes a few glopping noises. A tremor runs down it, a little like a dog shaking, and then flows across the counter, engulfing a bottle of spiced rum on the way, and down to the still smouldering trash can.*

Oh, I almost forgot to ask, how many carats and what clarity?

Philip
Gunner

« Reply #717 on: June 26, 2013, 08:05:04 am »

* looks up with a Start*

What the......

* watches the gloppy mass go across the bar with mouth a gape.*

Ok, just when I was getting used to all this new stuff.......

WOW! Did you see that thing? It was like......and.......  I need a drink.
* sets down and pours a large glass of whiskey*
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:24:01 pm by Philip » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #718 on: June 26, 2013, 08:15:01 pm »

A custom job, eh?....Hmmm.... *ponders for a moment*

Well, if at all possible, size about as large as my thumb, *holds up thumb* and with 72 equal facets highly polished, in a roughly hexagonal shape. As to clarity, as pure and clear as possible! I think I can work a decent repair with that - decent enough that I wouldn't be too afraid to initiate the device, with the worry of how the event horizon will react. It can be a little....unpredictable... sometimes. *looks at the missing section of the library bookcases*  Only a little bit, sometimes....

The good news is there will be a return on the investment, due to the nature of operation, the diamond will gain mass and increase in size during use. Should provide an interesting tidbit for your Gibbous to enjoy once we are done.
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #719 on: June 27, 2013, 07:21:21 am »

* listening to Siliconous ask about the gem and has an idea*

Sir. if she were to get you two would that device of yours be able to get me home to my right time?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:54:15 am by Philip » Logged
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #720 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39:44 am »

*returns from balcony, and ponders the sight before him. Alexis sits at the bar, holding an object that seems to be emiting a goo like substance while Siliconous Skumins gently massages his chin with a wry smile upon his features. Philip in the meantime seems to be extremely excited about something.*

Sorry.....I'll come back later.....

*quickly retreats*
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #721 on: June 27, 2013, 08:16:10 am »

One diamond is about all I can get right now, I'm afraid. *she says, and closes her eyes to transmit Siliconous's message*

*A strange growl comes from the trash can, and Alexis mutters* No, run the whole thoughform before you go off like that! He says you can eat it when it's done and it'll be bigger. *she winces.* Where did you learn that mind image anyway, vertebrates aren't capable of... oh, never mind, I don't want to know.

*A loud crunching sound comes from the trash can, and several minutes later the slightly ashy Gibbous oozes back onto the bar. It stops near Siliconous and then oozes back, leaving the diamond on the bar*

*The gibbous stops in front of Alexis, stretching out a pseudopod and wavering it in anticipation.*

You're not telling me you're still hungry? *the gibbous continues to beg*

Alright, just one this time. *dings into her coat pocket, pulling out a case of matches, a black postcard that reads 'Sagittarius A*' and at last digs out a lead lined box. She takes out a pellet of uranium glass and lets the gibbous take it from her fingers*

Good boy. Alright, now back in your egg before you start to oxidize...
Philip
Gunner

« Reply #722 on: June 27, 2013, 08:54:11 am »

well there gose that idea. looks like I am stuck here for a little longer then.

* notices Octavius dart outside, walks to door leading out to the balcony*

Sorry about my lose of composure.

I am still coming to grips with this strange place.

* looks over at bar*

I never seen that sort of thing before....well.....maybe something like it in Jersy once.

Looks like  a usefull little bugger though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:59:33 am by Philip » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #723 on: June 27, 2013, 08:06:45 pm »

*picks up the diamond and inspects it with a jewelers loupe*

Excellent! This should work very well in my device.

*begins to disassemble the the crystal matrix from the beam splitter*

Now then, the Neodymium treated glass stacks seem to be OK - I must remember to thank Carl Auer von Welsbach for the rare earths he supplied to me - and the Neon optical pump is......yes, It's working, annnnnd......... YES! The the charge is building! Good, good...

*begins to assemble a new matrix with the diamond at it's core*

*begins talking to nobody in particular*
The alignment is crucial to make this work, even the slightest inaccuracy will result in the beam failing to be confined and thus not generating the gravity well needed to produce the closed timelike curve in space-time. It's the continuous circulating beam's rapidly rotating mass which induces frame-dragging, in effect generating a gravitational field. With sufficient energy in the beam the field outside of the beam ring will contain multiple closed timelike curves. As space and time can be treated as a single entity, this means that traversal of not just time is possible, but also distance as well...

*looks up, finds everyone has left and are now all stood on the balcony - even the Dodo*

Wha....DAMMIT!

*mutters some foul language to self, then goes back to constructing the new matrix*
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #724 on: June 28, 2013, 01:36:26 am »

*notices a silver line appearing in the darkness before, slowly widening, until it had become wide enough for the dodo to puts it's head through*

"Um Siliconous Skumins, you might want to have a  look at this, old chap"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: