The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 09:02:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: >The Smoking Room< The Second Storey  (Read 39663 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2011, 05:17:05 pm »

Never, I say! Not when I'm stuck in some kind of terrible stone-age future, and your countrymen go to space!

Seems like the past is better than the future then, eh?

I heartily concur - now get back to your kitchen before your husband finds you here and quite properly beats you until you recover your senses.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »

Never, I say! Not when I'm stuck in some kind of terrible stone-age future, and your countrymen go to space!

I heartily concur - now get back to your kitchen before your husband finds you here and quite properly beats you until you recover your senses.

Oh... so many ways I could go with that...

But, I'll take the high road. The joke's on you, I'm happily unwed Cheesy

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2011, 06:16:10 pm »

Is the smoking room filed under "gentleman's club?" as in, men only outside of harlots? If so, could someone direct me to the tearoom? As much as I find gentlemen more amusing for the most part I am sure the ladies and I will get along swimmingly. -crooked smile-

-edit-

I guess I should revise my question, is there currently any active tea rooms? I will create a new lounge for the ladies if not, but if there is a current running tearoom everyone has become accustomed to I won't bother.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:24:47 pm by Heretic Doll » Logged

The strength of a women does not lie in her ability to out-man a man, but to be a woman in all her ways.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »

I'm here.

Take of that what you will Wink
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2011, 06:26:21 pm »

I'm here.

Take of that what you will Wink

I would reside in the smoking room, as I do enjoy a light smoke from time to time, but I fear I will need to adjust my wardrobe into some trousers.
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »

-enter- Now that I found myself in more comfortable attire, -reclines and shifts one leg over the other- let us lounge.

Lady Abiliegh , what are your views on feminism and the duties of a women? *puffs a hookah* I am utmost curious.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2011, 06:39:51 pm »

-enter- Now that I found myself in more comfortable attire, -reclines and shifts one leg over the other- let us lounge.

Lady Abiliegh , what are your views on feminism and the duties of a women? *puffs a hookah* I am utmost curious.

Well, thats a loaded question, heh heh.

The short answer is a woman's duties are what she wants them to be.

The longer answer is that every woman is different. For some, motherhood and being a wife is the path through which they will find the most fullfilment in life, and for others, that would be caging a rare bird. So, I heartily feel that a woman should do what makes her happy, surround herself with people who are supportive and possitively affected by her descision to be who she is, and of course, keep calm and carry on.

As for feminism itself, well, I'll leave that one to the imagination. We've a no politics rule here, and thats a line that I'll far to easily cross, given the opportunity!

What about you, though?
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2011, 06:55:24 pm »

Well, thats a loaded question, heh heh.

The short answer is a woman's duties are what she wants them to be.

The longer answer is that every woman is different. For some, motherhood and being a wife is the path through which they will find the most fullfilment in life, and for others, that would be caging a rare bird. So, I heartily feel that a woman should do what makes her happy, surround herself with people who are supportive and possitively affected by her descision to be who she is, and of course, keep calm and carry on.

As for feminism itself, well, I'll leave that one to the imagination. We've a no politics rule here, and thats a line that I'll far to easily cross, given the opportunity!

What about you, though?

I concur with your thoughts. I have been displaced as domestic, and anti feminist, which get's me into a lot of arguments, but I do not think I could entirely label myself either way. I think it solely depends on the individual. I believe every human being has a gift or purpose that compliments them in life. I myself used to cage fight, as well as do many various forms of martial arts. I was a rugged individual, I saw little value in women, as most I had encountered were complete idiots, which is why I longed to find more purpose as an individual, and I felt the mannerism of a gentleman were more tolerable, as well as many physical practices more accepted by men made me feel truly alive. After this stage of my life, I began to realize, to be a domestic female, and take on all the regular duties of a "woman" was commendable, and much more frustrating than my flings of masculine activities. Because of that I challenged myself to be a woman, and to learn all I could about the art of being a true lady. I find it overall more fulfilling to have the abilities to be a charming, traditional woman. Because of that I compliment traditional men. And I believe women with stronger more masculine aspirations compliment not-so traditional men. For women who are more dainty and fragile though, I don't like to see them trying to take on the role of lumberjack; it's an honor to be a true "lady" in this day and age, but that is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:57:22 pm by Heretic Doll » Logged
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2011, 07:00:19 pm »

I think I may have inhaled too much euphoria... -sways-
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #209 on: August 04, 2011, 07:24:35 pm »

I think I may have inhaled too much euphoria... -sways-

Have some gin, it always helps!

Wink

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »

I think being a "true lady" doesn't neccessarily require being a wife/mother/domestic, but I do certainly acknowledge it as a front-running aspect thereof. (I've personally made the choice to go the other direction, not for any dislike or disrespect of the path, but predominately due to an inherent incappability to be still.) There is a percieved element of "support" in the ideal of the true lady that I believe can be fostered in other ways. When all else is equal, a woman's comportment and self-respect are the defining aspects of whether she is, or isn't, a lady.
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #211 on: August 04, 2011, 07:27:42 pm »

I think being a "true lady" doesn't neccessarily require being a wife/mother/domestic, but I do certainly acknowledge it as a front-running aspect thereof. (I've personally made the choice to go the other direction, not for any dislike or disrespect of the path, but predominately due to an inherent incappability to be still.) There is a percieved element of "support" in the ideal of the true lady that I believe can be fostered in other ways. When all else is equal, a woman's comportment and self-respect are the defining aspects of whether she is, or isn't, a lady.

You too, Abi- GIN!

Cheesy
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2011, 07:29:08 pm »

You too, Abi- GIN!

Cheesy

What, are ya new? This tomato nearly lives for gin.

Grin
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2011, 07:31:50 pm »

You too, Abi- GIN!

Cheesy

What, are ya new? This tomato nearly lives for gin.

Grin

I know, but clearly there's too much blood in your gin-stream at the moment!

Wink
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2011, 07:32:45 pm »

Well said, Abiliegh. And I don't believe gin has ever crossed my lips. Poor constitution you know. I think almost everything is fine in the right quantity though. I will just need to chase it with some milk tea. -sip-

Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #215 on: August 04, 2011, 07:36:11 pm »

Nngh. Perhaps not the best idea.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:50 pm »

Make sure it's green tea, dear. And add a little ginger.

Alternately, the gin and tonic (with a slice of lime!) or gin and ginger ale are two gloriously light ways to beat the summer heat!
Grymm
Officer
England England

"If I want your opinion I'll thrash it out of you"

« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2011, 08:28:39 pm »

Tiger Lillies GIN on BBC 2

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

I've tried to see it from your point of view but I can't fit my head up your arse'ole too.
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2011, 08:35:15 pm »

Make sure it's green tea, dear. And add a little ginger.

Alternately, the gin and tonic (with a slice of lime!) or gin and ginger ale are two gloriously light ways to beat the summer heat!

Sounds like a much better alternative...
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2011, 08:38:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heretic Doll
Gunner

« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2011, 08:41:56 pm »

I shuddered at the amount of alcohol she consumed, real or not. My last encounter with even half that much to drink practically put me in a coma.  Props to a gal who can hold her drink though.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #221 on: August 05, 2011, 01:30:26 am »

Oh... so many ways I could go with that...

But, I'll take the high road. The joke's on you, I'm happily unwed Cheesy

(grumble, mutter, harrumph)
[settles back into armchair and waves for another single malt]

The past isn't what it used to be - there used to be a reality where women had their place and knew how to keep it. Now in this past we've got today - unmarried ladies out unchaperoned, neglecting their needle-point and all those other confining accomplishments society forced upon them, invading the sacrosanct halls of Gentleman's Clubs, wearing trousers against the laws of common decency instead of those impracticable fashions that rightly confined them to their parlours and drawing rooms, while we chaps were free to do whatever we pleased - beat one's wife, carouse with one's mistresses, exploit the miserable poor, abuse any foreign Johnnies or inferior n-ggers who dared get in ones path on the street and beat them with one's cane, dominate any colony for the good of the Empire, denigrate any Godless heathen who didn't follow a proper religion and forcibly convert them if needs must, lock up in the squalid madhouses and prisons all those criminals, lunatics, free-thinkers, anarchists, nancy-boys, rabble-rousers, or anybody else different to decent chaps... methinks some of these scandalous Sufferagettes ought to have their rose-coloured glasses forcibly removed ...

[thankfully the Scotch finally arrives and the rant subsides]

Bloody nostalgia seems to have a lot of holes in it.... yes, it's fine for one to be on the top of the pile as a proper upper-middle-class Englishman of means - but b-gger me if one would want to be anything different in this past or in any other version of the past.

For example, in most 'presents' let alone 'pasts', neither Ladies nor Harlots are permitted in most Gentleman's Clubs. This one, like so many Steampunk versions of the present-past are a much more tolerant and egalitarian version of what exists elsewhen.
For instance, in RL I live by Groucho's dictum on Clubs.

[waves for another malt, a pipe of Turkish hashish, and an exploited street-urchin to polish his boots]

Nostalgia - it isn't what it used to be... Another gin, m'dear?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:19:30 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2011, 02:52:58 am »

Similarly to Mr. Corsair, I need a good stiff glass of Whatever Is Alcoholically Dangerous. Another musician friend of mine is in hospice. Cry

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2011, 03:11:26 am »

Similarly to Mr. Corsair, I need a good stiff glass of Whatever Is Alcoholically Dangerous. Another musician friend of mine is in hospice. Cry

"...another..."?

Here, have a large shot of this single malt. I never realised it was that hazardous to be a musician.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #224 on: August 06, 2011, 04:08:40 am »

Entertaining and/or music'll keep you alive long after most things would have killed you -- but sooner or later, the other stuff you do while you're entertaining or playing music , or the things you do to fill the spaces between the notes & performances, catches up with you -- or so an old musician once told me...

For Pete's sake, MW, lighten up... Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: