The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 13, 2019, 04:17:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which phrase do you prefer?
Steampunk - 87 (96.7%)
Steampunker - 3 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk or Steampunker  (Read 11557 times)
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain: RD Susurrus

« on: July 26, 2011, 10:25:40 am »

For a bit of Tuesday fun.
Which do you prefer?

Are people involved in steampunk called steampunkers, just as those who like Rock are called Rockers?
Or
Are people involved in steampunk called steampunks, just as those who like Goth are called Goths?

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:41:14 am »

Defiantly .... Steampunks!
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:54 am »

Steampunk, the term "steampunker" really gets on my nerves for some reason.
-Matt

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:23 am »

"Steampunk" is better.  When speaking Spanish we are calling ourselves "Steamers."

JW

Angelica Needle
Zeppelin Admiral

Navigator & Mechanic: RD Susurrus

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:04:12 am »

Steampunk, the term "steampunker" really gets on my nerves for some reason.
-Matt

Yeah, me too! I don't know why, but 'punker' just sounds odd & silly.

The sound of the gentle rattle of china cup on china saucer drives away all demons, a little-known fact.
Terry Pratchett, Snuff
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:08:22 am »

The capitalization is important.  Those who are fans of the steampunk aesthetic and stories are Steampunks.  It is something we are, not just something we do.

And I fully realize how pretentious that sounds.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:13:19 am »

'Steampunker' sounds like how your mum would say it when she tries to 'get' what it is we do.

"Are you going out with your steampunker friends today, dear?"

It just jars....

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
The Isomorphist
Officer

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:13:59 am »

I definitely prefer Steampunk - the alternative just sounds like "Steampunker than thou..." - and attitude I utterly abhor.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:30:37 am »

For a bit of Tuesday fun.
Which do you prefer?
Are people involved in steampunk called steampunkers, just as those who like Rock are called Rockers?
Or
Are people involved in steampunk called steampunks, just as those who like Goth are called Goths?

But surely they are called "Ma'am" and "Sir"!!?? Grin

Personally use and prefer Steampunk and I used to be irritated by "Steampunker" when I heard it for similar reasons to those listed here but now I simply accept it as someone else's take/experience of it.

BE SPLENDID!
Ella, Aerial Musketeer
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:44:13 am »

i think it depends you mean
i have a friend that is more punk then anything else but i have gotten him into steampunk a little but i call him a SteamPunker (note the capitals)
i my self call 'us' A Steampunk (when were by our selves) and when we are in a group i call us Steampunks
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 11:58:18 am »

I’m steampunk and also I am a Steampunk. You can call me a Steamer if you like but please don’t say Steampunker.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Jarrett
Gunner

Makes everything pink by osmosis

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 12:07:37 pm »

I've never heard the term Steampunker before. It doesn't sound right, it doesn't flow off the tongue.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 12:31:10 pm »

Steampunkist? Like Shootist.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 02:18:51 pm »

Seing as punk culture members are punks I'd say steampunks. anythingpunker sounds like some sort of niche sexual fetish involving plungers...

Also, I believe the reason rockers are called rockers is because 'rock and roll' was religious in origin as listeners were 'rocked and rolled in the arms of the lord' so those that created such music slowly became 'rockers' as the were the ones rocking others (though by this point the genre had been somewhat divorced from its religious origins)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:16:47 pm by The Corsair » Logged

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »

Seing as punk culture members are punks I'd say steampunks. anythingpinker sounds like some sort of niche sexual fetish involving plungers...

Also, I believe the reason rockers are called rockers is because 'rock and roll' was religious in origin as listeners were 'rocked and rolled in the arms of the lord' so those that created such music slowly became 'rockers' as the were the ones rocking others (though by this point the genre had been somewhat divorced from its religious origins)

Rock & Roll was also a widely used sexual analogy.
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 03:45:08 pm »

Steampunk sounds rather more correct. Although I will entertain Neo-Victorian Aesthete.

Steampunker just sounds so .... pedestrian.

Believe me, there exists no such dilemma as that in which a gentleman is placed when he is forced to reply to a blackguard. ~Edgar Allan Poe
ZenGwen
Gunner
Scotland Scotland

Zombie Philosopher

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 05:32:53 pm »

I admit, I was rather a fan of the term "steampunker". I hadn't heard it until a couple of goth friends came back from Whitby and commented on how controversial the "steampunkers" seemed to be. It sounded like it was actually a somewhat derogatory term, but I kind of like it, myself.

I realize that I'm very much in the minority, however, and so shall stick with "steampunk" in future...

Young, courageous, and out of my mind.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 05:50:29 pm »

I've not come across "steampunker" before. Perhaps its just not made it's way stateside yet?

Thought, I've used "steampunkery" more than a few times... Take of it what you will.

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 06:24:36 pm »

When I was at A-Kon in Dallas this year there was this random girl that saw me walk by and said loudly "Oh look, a steampunker.  Whatever shall we do?" (She was obviously joking as she was at nearly all of the steampunk panels.) That was the first time I'd ever heard the term spoken and I must say it was like nails on a chalk board to me. 
Gunner Gregson
Snr. Officer
England England

Hired Gun, Gunsmith

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 08:57:00 pm »

I prefer Steampunk, But i have used Steampunker on occasion. Don't really like Steampunker, And i am doing my best to remove it from my vocabulary.

Ananias S. Wildwire

Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 09:03:34 pm »

I've not come across "steampunker" before. Perhaps its just not made it's way stateside yet?

Thought, I've used "steampunkery" more than a few times... Take of it what you will.

Interesting since I heard it in the States before I heard it in the UK.  Wonder how these terms originate?  I assume that such a simple expansion on the term will originate in parallel in several places.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 09:09:52 pm »

Interesting since I heard it in the States before I heard it in the UK.  Wonder how these terms originate?  I assume that such a simple expansion on the term will originate in parallel in several places.

The obvious answer is that there is an alternate reality BG where the common descriptive is steampunker and that we're just experienceing a little bleed-over. Yes yes, that must be it.
Abraham Cog
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 10:14:28 pm »

Steampunker sounds like something one might find on a golf course. STEAMPUNK please
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:44 pm »

Hahaha....bit of a buggar for Germans here it has to be said. Punker is German for Punk. Dampf, so I have just looked up, is German for Steam....so Dampfpunker in German?

I began to say steampunker out of knowing the German 'Punker' for punk. Not only that its almost like saying 'Spunker'...such as such phrases like "Hows it going me old spunker"! I always feel it has a bit of joy in it when I say "Alright me old Steampunker"!

It seems to be silly in taking such a thing to heart really. Why not get creative with words! Aparantly old Jester did!?
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 02:30:20 am »

That may be so in German but when you say it with the German pronunciation (the shorter 'u' sound) it sounds normal. 'punker' with the British 'u' sound (bunk, lunch, truck) sounds horrible.
The German version may use 'punker' but in German it sounds fine to be brief.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:18:47 pm by The Corsair » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: