The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 06:44:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Etching a Pocket Watch  (Read 957 times)
Wolf Trait
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: July 24, 2011, 09:29:01 am »

I recently bought a Quartz pocket watch from Wal-Mart. It's fairly plain which is why I bought it. I'm going to customize it to my pleasure. I believe that it is either stainless steel plated or chrome plated. Not entirely sure though. Now I was wondering if it is possible to etch or engrave this some how.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:54:48 am »

If you're sure it's metal, it should be possible to engrave it, but I'd be wary of etching if you're at all unsure of its materials.

Do you have a jeweller who offers an engraving service? You may be able to get some advice on engraving.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Wolf Trait
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:02:36 am »

Being the fact that I have an engraver but no engraving experience tells me that I should just wait until I find a way to do this without most likely screwing it up.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:17:35 am »

Try chatting to a professional. Explain you're just starting out - maybe buy something from his shop (it's never too early to start Christmas shopping) and hopefully he'll prevent you ruining the whole thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: