The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:53:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Character Development Game  (Read 12345 times)
toxickun
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #300 on: March 09, 2012, 11:03:19 am »

Whoops. Think I killed the thread.
It might be bad manners but I'll answer my own question and post another.

"Steam power produces soot, If your character is in a urban enviroment, how do they deal with the noise/smell/mess of a steam driven society?"

With protective/overclothing, for the working class then boilersuits and bandannas tied across the face, for the more wealthy, large overcoats, hats, 'gasmasks'  and of course the truly rich would never venture into the smoky/industrial zones.

Q. What are you characters 'Swear' Words?

unless you mean swearing like saying a !@#$% like word ide say
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAA!!

if you mean the other swearing then its:
I SWARE ONE DAY I SHALL RULE THE DAY OF TODAY! and laugh about it tomorrow.

...wth is a signature ._.
[sorry for my fail in grammar]
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #301 on: March 09, 2012, 11:01:17 pm »

Q: If a random attractive girl with actual cat like ears and tail appers to your front door step one night in a box what will you do first?

Dear me. Consume more gin upon briskly shutting the door. Darn cats...

Q: Whilst traipsing down a dark alley way in a rather unsavory part of down, you notice a flutter of shadow from the corner of your eye. You suddenly sense you're not alone; faced with imminent fear and dread at the pit of your stomach, what turn to see - what is following you?

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #302 on: March 09, 2012, 11:40:55 pm »

One about to be sorry footpad who doesn't have any idea how dangerous a custom built parasol can be in the hands of one trained at Miss Haleford-Brovitts' School for Young Ladies.  Not a mistake he is likely to repeat.

Q:  Whilst traipsing down a dark alley way in a rather unsavory part of down, you notice a flutter of shadow from the corner of your eye. You suddenly sense you're not alone - Who do you hope to see when you turn?
Captain Marcus Stahlsturm
Gunner
England England

Scoundrel, rascal, pirate captain and philosopher

« Reply #303 on: March 10, 2012, 12:41:36 am »

A random attractive girl with actual cat ears and a tail.

Q: If the apocalypse came tomorrow what would you search for first? Food, medical supplies, shelter or weapons and ammunition?

"zombies Cap'n, thousands of 'em!"
"How many thousands, matey?"
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #304 on: March 10, 2012, 12:46:43 am »

Deleted Post.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:04:25 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
JohnOdin
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:32 am »

Q: If the apocalypse came tomorrow what would you search for first? Food, medical supplies, shelter or weapons and ammunition?

That's a interesting question. From my characters POV he is millitary trained and subscribes to the 'be prepared' school of thought, Supplies of food, ammunition and medical kit are already stored......not that he lives in a bunker preparing for the 'undead uprising', Just extra med kit, dried foods and tools, and the knowlege to use them puidently.
So my first priority would be to seek out a group of people.....personal politics notwhistanding there is strengh and protection in numbers.

IRL both myself and my wife have known times of........'Going off grid.' Be it in periods of poverty where there was no money to buy essentials like food. Or being unable to get to the shops (in 1977 the village where she grew up was isolated by extreme snowfall for 3 weeks.) Lessons like that stick with you. So we are semi prepared for the 'zombie apocalypse'. Again we believe in strenght and protection in numbers.

Q. Ciggaretes/Cigars/Hookas, is smoking socially acceptable in your characters world?

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #306 on: March 10, 2012, 01:21:19 pm »

Anything is always acceptable, dear chap, as long as one has the right Titles, connections, or ready-cash.
Tobacco is the least of the social vices in the darker alleyways and elegant drawing-rooms.

What's your social milieu - the palace, the alley, or somewhere between?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #307 on: March 10, 2012, 02:34:48 pm »

I can appear at home in most environments, but I grew up on estates and such. In fact, I own a palace. Or palazzo rather. A small, really old one. Long story that...

Do you go against all odds or do you rather swim with the stream?

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)
ElecTinker
Swab

« Reply #308 on: March 10, 2012, 04:14:39 pm »

As a tinker, I find that I do both. Many machines just need simple repairs to cause them to run, but at the same time, it is required to be unorthodox at times to make them better or build new ones.

Have you ever chosen your work over companionship?
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #309 on: March 10, 2012, 08:21:25 pm »

Yes, frequently. I'm a rather private fellow, I prefer to keep my own council and offer my opinions only when they've been thoroughly thought out. Needless to say this means I'm an infrequent talker and naturally disinclined towards conversation, which means companionship is out of the question.

What is the name of your character's personal transport?

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” – Elbert Hubbard

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
JohnOdin
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2012, 12:15:38 am »

[q]
What is the name of your character's personal transport?
[/q]

First class... Smiley  In all seriousness though my character has done his time travelling in cattle class, billeted into airship bunks and steamer holds. Now I prefer a little luxury if I can afford. Those excelent coachbuilders Mr Rolls and Mr Royce make the most comfortable leather seating and private cabins.
I don't own my own transport or horse as I don't spend enough time at home, There are plenty of hansom cabs and rickshaws avalable for hire living in the capitol.

I suppose the best answer to your question would be 'trickers' for the name of my shoemaker. As I do enjoy walking.

Q. Tesla technoligy. Does your world run on it? or is it a case of Tesla who?
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2012, 12:56:04 pm »

That Tesla-chappie with the lightning machines?
Well, it's gaining in popularity, certainly more than that American blighter's system - I mean, they both seem a bit too 'magical'' for most common folk, but while having electrickery spread throgh the room to the gadgets by those coils on the ceiling is slightly eerie, it's a lot safer than tripping over the other chap's blasted wires everywhere.
I mean, I'm all for science and progress, but at least good old Steam is understandable by the common man...

While the telegraph seems well established, what say you to these fantastical plans to send words, and some say perhaps even pictures, one day over long distances with this trickery?
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #312 on: March 12, 2012, 12:49:29 am »

The plans to do so are well underway, in fact I was initially consulted on possible methods of achieving wire communications over longer distances and even across oceans. They ended up rejecting my ideas, simpletons!

What is your character's most favoured gadget?
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2012, 02:40:25 am »

What is your character's most favoured gadget?

My custom-designed crossbow. I never leave home without trusty Gertie! I had it commissioned after a run-in with some rather unsavory individuals who demanded I hand over my reticule. Upon defending myself with said reticule, I decided I needed something with a bit sharper aim. Gertie (Gertrude if she's uncooperative, which usually only happens on damp, foggy nights) has never failed when called upon! Without divulging too many particulars, the stock has a beautiful design burned into the wood and the prod made of beautiful brass; I have an assortment of bows which I am confident will prove most valuable upon encountering any such scoundrels of the night.
Q: Do you enjoy any activities of leisure?
Jane_Faye
Deck Hand

« Reply #314 on: March 21, 2012, 01:53:40 am »

Of course - who doesn't?! Well, except poor people, of course. Sorry. I forget about them sometimes.

But myself and my brothers, we certainly have to be seen around at the cricket and the golf and the archery and the various fashionable places around the city, and obviously we have to go meet persons of quality - female persons of quality, since there's 4 of us to marry off and I've not made a very good start at it! -  at the Glasgow galas and balls and ceilidhs when it's the Season. And that's not counting leisure time at home spent with tutors learning some fashionable, genteel skill so we can appear more 'accomplished'. Our parents just wouldn't permit us to stay unsociably in the house, sitting about in solitary occupations, reading and sketching to our heart's content...

More's the pity. *sigh*

What's your state of health like - are you fighting fit, or do you reckon all this wretched consumption that's going about could catch up with you?

JohnOdin
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #315 on: March 25, 2012, 09:58:53 pm »

I'm fit and hearty for a male in their 40's who stayed off the drink and drugs. The occasional unknown twinge from the knees and back and the body dosen't heal as fast as it did when in my teens. But as the saying goes 'Youth and enthusiam are no match for old age and treachery'  I served in the forces...but again. 'There are old soilders and there are bold soilders but there are no old bold solilders.'
There are many ways to shorten your life in My Characters world. Combat injuries are common-hence the advanced state of prostetic limbs,  Accidents in the Industrial Sector, the price for heavy industry is bodycount, Certain parts of the cities are prone to footpads and muggers, but self defence is much more..eye for eye. So its Darwinism in action.

The diffrence between my characters world and 'our' world is that people are forced to take a lot more care and responsibility for their actions.

Which leads me onto my question.

Q. Judicial System - in the civlilsed parts of your world. A long winded bloated beast, or is trial by combat still allowed? Do people settle arguments with Duels. Or is there a culture of claim for blame?
Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #316 on: March 29, 2012, 02:11:40 am »

At the academy, the department heads and myself form a judicial committee that presides over any issues that we may have in house. Duels are permitted but they have strict rules that must be followed and obviously the appropriate forms must be filled out ahead of time. Though things tend to run very smoothly at the academy, largely in thanks to the council RULING WITH AN IRON FIST.. *cough* I mean our caring student facility relations... yes.

Next Question!

Has anyone seen the keys to my airship? I seem to have misplaced them.

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #317 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »

Keys? Afraid not, old chap. Although I do have a couple of alternatives in my bag if you can't find them. I've got a decent set of picks that might do it, and if they don't I've got a couple of small tins of gun-cotton - safely wetted, of course - a pinch of that and a bit of fuse should get you in...

What other useful tricks do you keep in your bag-o'-tricks?
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #318 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47:01 pm »

Many. I fully encourage the use tricks, ruses, and deceitfulness when kindness and civility cannot solve a problem or dispute. Of course, I will not reveal all my secrets to just anyone.

Are you one who plans everything in advance, or do you throw yourself into a situation hoping for the best?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:50:12 pm by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #319 on: March 30, 2012, 06:54:49 pm »

Are you one who plans everything in advance, or do you throw yourself into a situation hoping for the best?

I *try* to plan, I really do...but more often than not it becomes apparent that my plans are not well thought out and it becomes necessary to fly by the seat of my knickers, if you'll pardon my expression. Though I will say, some of my best ideas and work occurs when this happens!

Q: Are you a well-known individual - either for good or bad reasons? Feel free to elaborate if answering Yes. Smiley
Dr. Lodus
Swab

« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2012, 12:26:31 am »

Why yes, i am slightly well known, for both good and bad, depending on who you ask, It was my airship that helped the besieged people of Prague when they were at war with the Russians, but at the same time it was my inventions that blew up the crown jewel of the Royal Navy.

You are cornered in a house or ravening cultists and you have a choice of a coach gun, a saber or a experimental firearm, which would you choose?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #321 on: March 31, 2012, 02:18:28 am »

"Bullets run out, but body and blade last forever." I'll take the saber.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #322 on: March 31, 2012, 07:15:00 am »

You are cornered in a house or ravening cultists and you have a choice of a coach gun, a saber or a experimental firearm, which would you choose?

Exactly how 'experimental'?
Although the question is rather moot - as any well-prepared gentleman contemplating a sojourn in a "house of raving cultists" should already have (1) a servicable revolver with at least twice as much ammunition as cultists, (2) a relevant amulet/icon/trinket to distract them, or (3) a well-bred young lady of confirmed virtue that can be offered for sacrifice in your stead...

And since a question is de rigeur:
Would any of the fairer sex care to go adventuring, apparently the local house of cultists has some quite remarkable idols that are allegedly adorned with some very interesting gems..?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:17:34 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #323 on: March 31, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »

Adventuring, you say? There's nothing I love more than adventuring. Well, maybe a good cup of tea, and some biscuits. And warm scones with clotted cream.

Q: Describe your ideal day...
JohnOdin
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #324 on: April 05, 2012, 06:48:42 pm »

My characters average ideal day.'

To wake, dress and shave, then have breakfast weather permitting on the porch, Eggs Benedict or maybe Smoked salmon on toast, washed down with copious amounts of coffee. Then a hour or so studying and writing, till 10 when its time for a run or some other form of  training till lunchtime rolls around, Most days I eat at home, but sometimes there is a luncheon appointment which I shall take in one of the many café’s of the city. Nothing extravagant, pretty much the same I would eat at home, a slice of pie and cheese. Maybe washed down with Ale or Beer. In the summer then vegetables are more in season a salad, but vegetables don't keep over winter and experiments with mass production using 'Orangery' or Glasshouses never seem to work.  I suppose its the amount of soot in the air?  (refrigeration technology is lacking in my characters world).
If I’m not employed to work a case then I might peruse the library’s or museums, call in to see friends who have workshops in the artificers quarter, maybe spend some time on a shooting range if I brought my ex Service pistol with me. If I’m on a case then its research at home in my library, or maybe creative work in the tiny workshop I have at the back of the house in the stable. I rarely entertain friends or prospective clients at my home, I enjoy the solitude and anonymity.
On a ideal day then its a Dinner out at one of the many fine restaurants or clubs the city can offer. Then a evenings entertainment, So much to choose from, the Burlesque houses, the theatres which offer everything from straight song and dance entertainment, stage magic, acrobats and jugglers to a much more 'Circus of horror.' if my mood takes me that way. With money and the right connections then the city can pander to any vice, or so I have heard. Though I prefer to keep a clear head as footpads and robbers find the intoxicated easy pickings and I have no desire to become victim or  masked vigilante.
I enjoy travel and to embark on adventures which shake my routine up . But its good to know I will be returning home to a solid mattress and feather pillows.

Q. Crumpets or Cake?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: